Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rice or Ruin?
Rice
Ruin
View Results

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

tip: talk to Tauemon about the rice when it's raining

I just did this and it was a prooo tip. That probably should have been easier to find. Guess I need to chat with him more instead of just reading the scrolls in my inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a concise tutorial on exactly what my water levels should look like from planting to harvest? I have the ability that shows me the %

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For "balanced" rice:
  • ~20% for 1st/2nd offshoots.
  • Drain for third offshoots
  • ~30% water while sprouting.
I got those number from this video but it has spoilers about farming abilities and tools you unlock later. The video makes it sound like there's not really a "right" way to do farming. Most of what you can tweak is a tug of war between quantity and quality.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Does anyone have a concise tutorial on exactly what my water levels should look like from planting to harvest? I have the ability that shows me the %

Depends on what you're shooting for--yield(HP, more rice for cooking & trading), heartiness(Strength/Vitality/Gusto I think?), aesthetic(Luck), aroma(Magic), or a balance.

For high yield, keep the water shallow after planting: about 20-25%, at Sakuna's ankle height. Drain the field when your crop reaches the Third Offshoots stage. When you hit Sprouting, fill it deep--80% or more, even.

For high heartiness, you can leave the water shallow until harvest time.

For high aesthetic, the water should be deep. Use ducks to keep the weeds & pests down. Drain the field at Third Offshoots, but fill it again at Sprouting--and keep the gates open so the water is flowing through.

For high aroma, shallow water is best, but drain the field during Third Offshoots.

For a balance, keep it shallow, drain it for Third Offshoots, then raise it to 30%ish for Sprouting.

McCracAttack posted:

I just did this and it was a prooo tip. That probably should have been easier to find. Guess I need to chat with him more instead of just reading the scrolls in my inventory.

That and salt sorting are things I reeeally wish I could've stumbled upon sooner. I also got to the final dungeon before realizing that you can stand in your rice field and press B for a detailed status report, which is where all the stuff about pests, weeds, and diseases comes in. :downs:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I caught one of the dogs sleeping in the duck pen at night. This game is adorable sometimes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Continually sending a literal toddler out to collect demon poop, game owns.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as great as poop continues to be, make sure you send the baby to different spots for maximum dogs

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of poop, I was a little surprised they were using the outhouse for fertilizer since there's a reason people don't do that in real life. But I figured, "Eh, whatever. Video gamez." Lo and behold they actually touch on that when someone gets pink eye from it!

:barf:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I picked up this game on a whim after seeing it in the Switch store and watching the trailer (I bought it on the PS4 instead).

Game is Good. And cute. The gameplay loop makes it feel like it's a roguelite in a sense, with the continual character development and unlocks based on your decisions and random drops. I really enjoyed the world the characters paint when they eat dinner (or through story events), and there are several threads I would like further exploration on. Endgame/story spoilers: All the cute and odd-looking Gods that come for the festival furthers this desire. I also have questions about the Godliness of all the humans after returning to the Lower realm, of those who stayed in the Lofty realm, etc. They do the annoying "but that's a story for another time" sequel hook thing, which wouldn't bother me if I thought this game would get DLC.

There are a few nagging bugs I hope they fix (the patches have been relatively rapid recently), such as falling through the map in some areas, enemies getting stuck in terrain, and other, smaller, collision-related issues.

I would love to see an action/adventure/Metroidvania type game from these devs that expands on this world. I put more time into this game than I did Cold War in a much shorter time.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 31, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

End game question; I just finished the Cauldron of Eternal Night, but Tauemon won't talk to me about the festival to start the final quest. I was wondering what I might be missing? Do I have to complete Mending the Weave, and Raising the Barn as well? I am having trouble finding the two Elder Elm's I need for these, so I was going to just wait and do those later if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never mind, I finished this game. It has ended up being one of my favorite games I have played in 2021. So glad I did. All of this was because of an update that let you carry two animals at once.