Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Has there been any analysis done on what California could do if it decided to gerrymander its congressional districts? I know this is purely academic since a non-partisan committee creates the map in CA, but it's interesting to think about anyway.

Currently California is 42D-11R but many of the districts around LA and SF are D+20 or more, so there'd be plenty of room to dilute them in order to flip the more rural districts. Even the super conservative areas of the state such as CA-1 and CA-23 are only R+10 or thereabouts. I feel like it wouldn't be too difficult to channel urban votes into those areas to flip them (or at least make them competitive).

Looking at the map, pretty much every rural district has a D+10 or greater district to tap into nearby. I think if they decided to gerrymander a 50D-2R map would be entirely possible, maybe even 51D-1R. They would be able to flip all of the Republican districts near Bakersfield and Orange County pretty easily by channeling LA and SD votes into them. Then they could concentrate the rest of the super conservative areas in the Eastern Sierra and Southern Cascades into one or two districts.

That would represent a D+8 or D+9 swing which would almost wipe out all of the changes made in other states. Currently Dems have a supermajority in both chambers in CA so if the state party were willing they could change the law. I wonder if there's been any pressure from the national Democratic party for the state to change its redistricting process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/CookPolitical/status/1489645662832627714?s=20&t=EQ8NDcFOMYUDr25Z2OQQfA

This is one... unexpected development. Democrats have been able to win in court against gerrymandering and while voters don't care for the Biden economy Trump is still worse.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I’m sure the Republican Party doubling down on 1/6 by declaring it valid political discourse or whatever doesn’t hurt. We like to joke about Democrats snatching defeat from the jaws of victory but goddamn they really are mask off going full fash.

I will say as I go door to door collecting signatures from registered Dems for ballot access it seems like 1. Everybody is cabin fevery and wants to talk your ear off and 2. The subject is how nucking futz Republicans have become and how it’s vital to keep them the hell out of office, regardless of their feelings about Biden or whatever.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oracle posted:

I will say as I go door to door collecting signatures from registered Dems for ballot access it seems like 1. Everybody is cabin fevery and wants to talk your ear off and 2. The subject is how nucking futz Republicans have become and how it’s vital to keep them the hell out of office, regardless of their feelings about Biden or whatever.

I am really glad to hear this because every day is seems like the right is getting bolder and more brazen about wanting to end democracy.

I can only imagine the wild system of trickle down patronage and literal privilege they would put in place ruled by some Orwellian nightmare of religion, propaganda and nationalism.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, I hope your experience is typical Oracle. I have completely lost trust in polls since the last two elections, so I don’t really know what the general population thinks. Dems could easily hammer 1/6 and abortion this year to drive people to the polls to vote against republicans.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I hope your experience is typical Oracle. I have completely lost trust in polls since the last two elections, so I don’t really know what the general population thinks. Dems could easily hammer 1/6 and abortion this year to drive people to the polls to vote against republicans.

My walk list was pretty hardcore Dems - those that voted in at least one primary in the last four years - so the base is still quite loyal and ready to turn out. Plus side I met a lot of high school and new college kids in said families who were raring to go and registered or were going to be by voting time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/CookPolitical/status/1489645662832627714?s=20&t=EQ8NDcFOMYUDr25Z2OQQfA

This is one... unexpected development. Democrats have been able to win in court against gerrymandering and while voters don't care for the Biden economy Trump is still worse.
Yeah, the whole gerrymandering thing seems to not be quite as terrible as expected. This is mostly caused by two things:
1. Republican states were already extremely gerrymandered. They simply didn't/don't have too much headroom to make it worse. Some Democratic states (New York, for example) were not heavily gerrymandered before, so there was space to get a good number of seats. And a few courts kicked out previously gerrymandered Republican maps,
2. Republicans are focusing more on making red seats even more red. Democrats are focusing more on making competitive seats more Democratic. This has the danger that if Democrats get punished hard enough, then it is possible that their gerrymanders will fail hard. Republicans are almost impossible to really punish hard, but they haven't really made more seats competitive.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1490069355572436992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's a better development but that also means we're going to see more extremist politicians which I don't know if that's a good thing either especially on the right-wing side.