Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its the opposite of that tho

you load an image, open two ports, and you have a new app. you dont edit configs, you dont compile poo poo, you don't janitor it at all. if it fucks up you hit Restart Container and go back to what you were doing. it's wonderful to treat linux apps as something you can and will throw into a wood chipper instead of something you have to carefully janitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that's the most charitable description of docker I've heard, hmm

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah, docker-as-whole-system-packaging is nice, it's just usually used by incompetent nerds that can't do that very well/reproducibly. also the architecture is kinda dumb and i am still mad that rkt didn't take off

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

to handle floating point numbers, op

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

ds920's are 439 bucks at newegg tomorrow

yall chumps with hootin loud xeon file servers have a chance to enter Cool NAS World cheap

yeah im gonna get one if they don't sell out too soon. they're showing as sold out rn though

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

when walmart had those external 500gb pny ssds for 15 bucks i bought 8 of them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i’m jelly. those didn’t happen in canada or if they did certainly not around me lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

holy poo poo

that is a wicked sick deal

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

psiox posted:

i'm sold on picking up a 920 tomorrow

at least hard drives seem to be on sale all the time, i'll just pick up some 4TB spinning rust at my leisure and maybe a half-tb m2 thing

I got one recently and this is a good decision.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

ds920's are 439 bucks at newegg tomorrow

yall chumps with hootin loud xeon file servers have a chance to enter Cool NAS World cheap
im just going to keep using my xeon as a media/file server because i’m poor. it tops out at 84 watts, i’d save like eight bucks a year on my power bill.

but hopefully i’m not poor when ddr5 zens come out so i can just provision 2 of my 32 5GHz cores for media serving bitch duty. with the rest free so i can run more than 4 chrome tabs with no slowdowns. living the dream.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i’m jelly. those didn’t happen in canada or if they did certainly not around me lol

they were selling them as a back to school thing, and when the season was over all of the back to school stuff went on clearance, including the ssds

thing about that is because they were in the system as "seasonal" and not electronics you had to wander around the store trying to find the seasonal clearance section

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

they were selling them as a back to school thing, and when the season was over all of the back to school stuff went on clearance, including the ssds

thing about that is because they were in the system as "seasonal" and not electronics you had to wander around the store trying to find the seasonal clearance section
i’m imagining a treasure trove of ssd’s tucked away under some lovely roseart colored markers and a bunch of oddball texas instruments calculators that don’t sell because they’re too advanced for the state’s minimum mandatory hs algebra 1 but not advanced enough for anything far beyond that or “not a TI-84” in other words.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hard drive oh yeah baby love the sound of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

yeah I checked the inventory checkers when those went nerdviral

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
maybe in a decade or two the new hipsters will get really into listening to music files stored on hdds for the warmer sound

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

maybe in a decade or two the new hipsters will get really into listening to music files stored on hdds for the warmer sound

the helium keeps the highs from feeling tinny

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

In a decade or two they will scrounge for food in the post apocalyptic wasteland with no background music at all since there’s no internet anymore

meanwhile I’ll be enjoying my 128kbit Napster collection through the warm rich sound of a diesel powered MP3 player

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hmm

https://twitter.com/iancutress/status/1332466792334196737?s=21

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Just changing a vowel. Not that clever imo
Starting to question this doctors credentials

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

shucking is a symptom of the failed capitalist state

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol this could probably go in this thread or the pictures thread

i really need to simplify the basement

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nice hoarders collection

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

nice hoarders collection

ty the pinnacle is the xerox solid ink printer on the right i bought for $4

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

paying $4 to take someone's e-waste is quite the move

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i've always had a soft spot for them tbh, and the prints are completely waterproof, which is weird and fun

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
everybody talks about hard drives, but why don’t we call RAM disks soft drives ?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

everybody talks about hard drives, but why don’t we call RAM disks soft drives ?

have you ever felt ram? it’s hard and sharp and definitely not soft

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i've always had a soft spot for them tbh, and the prints are completely waterproof, which is weird and fun

dye sub printers are dope!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

dye sub printers are dope!

agree though this isn't that, it just prints with actual blocks of wax

i'd totally buy a dye sub if i found one cheap just for gits and shiggles

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

agree though this isn't that, it just prints with actual blocks of wax

i'd totally buy a dye sub if i found one cheap just for gits and shiggles

ah ok, people at work call dye subs solid printers a lot but i should have given you more credit. :cheerdoge:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have an 8tb drive in my computer now and I did NOT shuck it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

im not an expert in gas transfer or whatever

i am

Silver Alicorn posted:

shucking is a symptom of the failed capitalist state

agreed

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don’t think the new drive has helium anyway. the exos went off sale and I got a barracuda compute instead

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 11, 2020

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine