Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TULIP TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NICE photo. I've never seen a tulip from that angle, and it's great.

Sigh. I'm still in a no-garden situation, and Old House Gardens is having its clearance sale on spring-planted bulbs. Ain't no way I can get a 4-foot dahlia in a container.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Finally cooperating

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nice! Do you plant anything in it when bulb season is over?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nice! Do you plant anything in it when bulb season is over?

Yes. Its a shade garden at the bottom of an airshaft between buildings.
2-3 hours of morning sun in summer.
I usually put impatiens and creeping petunia vines after the bulbs and we did fall/winter cabbages this past year too.

Its just a cheap way to make a weird ugly roof/escape route outside my window look good.

Small startup cost and low seasonal budgets but it makes a big difference

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 29, 2024

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes. Its a shade garden at the bottom of an airshaft between buildings.
2-3 hours of morning sun in summer.
I usually put impatiens and creeping petunia vines after the bulbs and we did fall/winter cabbages this past year too.

Its just a cheap way to make a weird ugly roof/escape route outside my window look good.

Small startup cost and low seasonal budgets but it makes a big difference

are there any SHADY VINES that might be good for ya.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bagmonkey posted:

TULIP TIME

What on earth?!? That is beautiful.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

Finally cooperating

And these are stunning!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Saw Empress Wu and a couple other neat hostas at one of the Home Depot’s, the other one and the Lowe’s didn’t have much interesting. I’ll be trying to make it out to a few of the greenhouses in the next week or two to see what’s up over there. This is bagmonkey with the hosta report

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i have a very nice and healthy and happy sum and substance and i'm gonna start stalking the stores for an empress wu :twisted:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

No, it doesn't flower from the tips like an abelia.

Buttonbush

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think in a few weeks the weird hosta guy down the street is going to start selling offshoots again, which I am looking forward to, but I may have to look further afield to track down a Sum and Substance. My aunt has one and it's monstrous. Empress Wu is holding out at four shoots, which is two more than it had last year when I planted it, so we'll see what happens. Some of my others haven't come up yet but I put them in last year and don't know what to expect from them in terms of early vs. late growth.

It crossed my mind today that for a while hostas were named after some German botanist whose name was Funke and were called funkia instead of hosta and that seems very silly!

In non-hosta plant news, the deadly nigjtshade a friend gave me appears to have survived the winter, which absolutely delights me as I believe it's a bit of a chancy prospect in this climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We have plenty of nightshade if you ever need any more.