Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Problem description: Switched out my ASUS Dual OC 1060 3GB for a Gigabyte Eagle OC RTX 3070 8GB. I was going through games to see if I could max them out and was getting a consistent 60 FPS. There was no problem with RDR2. The same for GTA V, but shortly after applying the settings and hopping into Online, the fans got considerably noisy. Not rattly, just running fast. I confirmed it was the GPU fan(s) and not my PSU, CPU or case fans. It persisted when I quit the game and restarted Windows, but it was back to normal after turning it off. Then I tried ESO. Same problem. Back to normal after turning it off. It doesn't happen again unless I run a game, idling fine. The GPU-Z report looks weird. Since I have an ITX build and normal sized PSU, the choice was between this, FE (lol) or a Zotac, I knew it was a tight fit, but PCPartsPicker listed them as compatible. I'll get an SFX if that does turn out to be the issue, but I'd like to exclude other possibilities first, like a vengeful God cursing me with a defective GPU that I lucked into fair and square right ahead of a lockdown.

This is what the fan curve looks like. No clue if this is normal.

Attempted fixes: Googled the issue, found another person with the same problem, but no responses. Ran GPU-Z. Checked PCI-e cables. Cursed God.

Recent changes: Installed new GPU.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
i5-9600K
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W
ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac
Fractal Design Define Nano S

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The middle fan isn't running. gently caress. RMA time or can I try anything else?

Edit: Tried to make a smoother fan curve with Afterburner, it seems to have solved the idle issue at least.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 17, 2020