Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenous is a really bad effect, in the “what were they thinking” way. Avarice at least has a material benefit at the end of it and there are a few levels where it can actually be really good to get it. But with Ravenous there can be entire sections of levels where food just doesn’t spawn and if there’s ever a part that requires holding out while X happens well enjoy your completely unavoidable damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Yeah, it is not a good thing to be constantly bleeding out, forcing slow scavenging with your head down in nightmare with continuous hordes.

Feels like there’s a few junior engineers just building in game mechanics for the sheer hell of it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I suspect the issue is that the developers have played the poo poo out of the new content and the difficulty doesn't register for them. Probably tested it with all the new cards/abilities...and builds to compliment them. And knowledge of where food spawns/where to get the boat pieces etc, while new players are floundering around trying to figure out where to go.

So if the players are hardcore enough, they'll persevere and discover the optimal playstyle to make it work. Which is fine and dandy as long as the journey to enlightenment is fun (ie not ravenous).

Having said that, my b4b group got through act 5 on veteran, barely. Almost wiped a couple times. Just dragged ourselves across the finish line, hootin and hollerin when we pulled it off. That knife's edge between difficulty/frustration is super hard to maintain, but the game was on that edge perfectly for us. Probably more of a case of the stars aligning (our group's skill level, workable corruption cards, etc), but man what a rush. The new act is creepy as hell, too, adding to the intensity. We had a grand old time!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of Act 5 seems specifically designed to disrupt a lot of the more usual tactics. Among other things I’ve noticed: more spawn points you can’t block because they’re behind barriers, no hold outs you can cheese by ferrying multiple stacks of barbed wire from the start, a more open design to minimize zombie bottle necks players can use, and when there are right corridors or rooms they’re pretty small which makes them dangerous to use as a bunker if specials come knocking.

It’s the good kind of difficulty.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lucca Blight posted:

My friends and I were not enjoying starving to death on the prison level due to the lack of food after the point of no return.

I haven't played this game in awhile, but food is a thing now? I don't remember that...

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Shooting Blanks posted:

I haven't played this game in awhile, but food is a thing now? I don't remember that...

Yup. Some maps you're starving to death and take damage unless you're keeping your stomach points over 0. I'm not making that up.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

You need to eat an entire jar of peanut butter or a box of cereal every 30 seconds or you take damage lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

It was added to the in the most recent patch. Normally it just adds small bonuses for the rest of the level (gain 5% accuracy, regain 0.1 health per second, that kind of thing) but there’s also a new corruption card called Ravenous. When you get that if you don’t stuff your face with something every 30 seconds you earn a stack of Hunger. If you eat something you either remove a stack of Hunger or, if you have no Hunger stacks, gain a stack of Well Fed.

If you have a stack of Hunger every 15 seconds you take 1 trauma damage per stack. If you have a stack of Well Fed you gain 1 trauma every 15 seconds.

There is no limit on the number of Hunger stacks you can have. You can see how this might quickly spiral out of control if you aren’t constantly finding food.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I was really warming up to the game before this dlc drop. Not impressed at all with the human opponents and the food scavenging malus is wack

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

New balance patch and Halloween update is out. Just at a cursory glance, they nerfed my beloved Expired T5 and Heng is now a food guy

https://back4blood.com/en-us/patch-notes/october-2022-update

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I haven't played swarm since the update but the changes sound real odd. I guess now you are granted a set number of mutation points at the start of the round (like 300 for round 1, opposed to the 50 you used to start with) and that's your only source of points. So doing damage to enemy players doesn't earn you more points, you have a finite, predetermined amount to work with.

I only really see negative outcomes for this change...if I dump my first allotment of points into tallboys...well now I'm committed to sticking with them rather than switch to another mutation.

I guess for high end play you can assemble a team and develop a strategy that you'd have to stick to, so maybe there's a level of strategy they're trying to implement? But for pick up games (with the standard 1-2 players that don't even spend their points) it's real odd

Also Heng really got boned, imagine having your character reworked to revolve around loving food of all things

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I don’t get the food mechanic on the whole. Maybe if it stacked for the whole run, but yeah. Kinda dumb as is.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's almost like the devs have no idea what they're doing

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1583141094358859777?s=20&t=-23ptMUenysG5_6ZvlwpWg

:toot:

Edit: only works for online mode...

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 22, 2022

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The new expansion levels are pretty cool so far! This game has improved a lot since I started.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Yo, I've gotta be honest, I slept hard on this game.

But I picked it up during the tail end of the winter sale and wow, I really like it a lot more than I thought I would (between this, valheim, and heros hour). I really enjoy the depth of it, from the card system to the weapons, gunplay felt a little light at first but its kinda grown on me. I still have a hard time trusting randoms do ridden tunnels but im kinda engrossed!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ridden tunnels can be a slog in general imo, sometimes you just want to play the actual level. That being said, if you know you’re coming up to a messy set piece and your team is not up to the task they can be a good alternative. Ultimately they can be easier simply because one can leave as soon as one finds an exit, even before getting a skull.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Ridden tunnels can be a slog in general imo, sometimes you just want to play the actual level. That being said, if you know you’re coming up to a messy set piece and your team is not up to the task they can be a good alternative. Ultimately they can be easier simply because one can leave as soon as one finds an exit, even before getting a skull.

I think tunnels are always worth it in a campaign. On nightmare at least, you'll be loving stacked with cards and loot by mid-act.

You're right though that they're a slog if you're just hopping on for a couple quickplay levels and you get boned with Cost of Avarice or razorworms

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I think tunnels are always worth it in a campaign. On nightmare at least, you'll be loving stacked with cards and loot by mid-act.

You're right though that they're a slog if you're just hopping on for a couple quickplay levels and you get boned with Cost of Avarice or razorworms

After spending more time in this game it was definitely just me being unfamiliar and unsure, and I guess there were/are still a bunch of new people hopping on from the tail end of the sale that just happened.

So, on that note does anyone have suggestions for decks?

I've kitted out several for each weapon type (smg, lmg, melee...) and even a silly copper one that I haven't tried yet to buy everything.

What are other people running?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't play a ton but I have an LMG deck I always use with friends. It has a ton of ammo capacity and accuracy perks. My goal is to have all the ammo and be accurate even at range, and it usually works out pretty well, although on occasion I still run out of ammo if the RNG isn't in my favor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amazing Member posted:

After spending more time in this game it was definitely just me being unfamiliar and unsure, and I guess there were/are still a bunch of new people hopping on from the tail end of the sale that just happened.

So, on that note does anyone have suggestions for decks?

I've kitted out several for each weapon type (smg, lmg, melee...) and even a silly copper one that I haven't tried yet to buy everything.

What are other people running?

Speaking as someone who ran with coordinated groups on higher difficulties more utility oriented cards become increasingly important. I also haven't played recently and I know there's some new cards that are probably good but I haven't used them.

For copper generally everyone is running at least Money Grubbers and Copper Scavenger. Copper Scav not only highlights copper so you find more it also adds 2 piles of 50 copper per card into each level. Assuming you find all of them that's 400 more copper per player (50 copper x 2 piles x 4 cards) per level, including hives.

Related to copper there is Stealthy Passage. Its primary purpose is to disable things like car alarms, security doors, birds (somehow), and traps but also important is that it gives everyone 25 copper per success. Again its important to think of that in terms of the group so that's actually 100 copper per success. When you have corruption cards like the bird one or the security door one or if the cultists are around and there's gas traps every where you can really build up a good coffer with minimal effort and generally minimal risk (just make sure everyone knows you're going to disarm something).

For a group that thinks it needs to supplement its healing, save money, or just make sure they aren't starting in a bad spot Saferoom Recovery is very good. Like Copper Scav it stacks per card so if everyone has it that's 60 health, 28 trauma, and 40% ammo in every saferoom (it doesn't work in hives). Besides giving a group a leg up if they ended a level poorly it just saves money, maybe you don't have a to buy a first aid kit or a wall kit heal or spend copper on healing/ammo.

It's most important in Act 1 because of the cannon at the end but you usually want someone with some Use Speed anyways and if you do go with Headband Magnifier. The penalty sounds scary but honestly its not that bad when it happens and if you're getting hit so often that its going off constantly you're already dead.

If you're worried about friendly fire then Down in Front can save a lot of trouble.

When I'm using guns I like to give particular emphasis on reload speed because the biggest damage doesn't matter if you aren't shooting. Obviously this is more important on sniper rifles, shotguns, and LMGs but every gun needs to reload eventually. So cards like Ammo Belt, Cold Brew Coffee, Scattergun Skills, Reload Skills, and Widemouth Magwell all fund themselves in one deck or another. I don't stack them all because the reverse is that the fastest reload speed doesn't matter if you aren't doing damage but depending on your weapon then 2 or 3 might be a good idea.

One deck I settled on fairly early one was one that disabled aiming but boosted accuracy. Hunker Down, Quick Kill, Mag Coupler, Killer's Instinct, and Down in Front make for a basic but effective combination.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Running a shotgun build with Tala is pretty sick because of the stacking bleed damage per pellet. The AA12 or the legendary fire version work especially well

Running Doc as a medic, and Food Scav/LMG Heng are my other favorites

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://turtlerockstudios.com/news/b4b-2223

quote:

Greetings, Cleaners!

What an amazing year 2022 was for us. First off, we wanted to thank all of you for making Back 4 Blood what it is today. With three expansions – Tunnels of Terror, Children of the Worm, and River of Blood – we’ve traveled on a fantastic adventure together beyond the walls of Fort Hope. This phase of our war against the Ridden now comes to a close.

Turtle Rock Studios is actually pretty small for a studio making AAA games. We don’t have quite enough folks to continue working on Back 4 Blood content while we spin up another game – yes, another game! Given this, it’s time for us to put our heads down, get back in the lab, and get to work on the next big thing.

Intrepid Cleaners, this is not a goodbye.
Back 4 Blood will continue to operate, of course. In fact, Back 4 Blood is currently offered on PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium tiers and available as part of Xbox Game Pass. You’ll also still find us hanging out in the SUBREDDIT and on DISCORD, as well as our official TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and WEBSITE because we love interacting with you and talking about our games.

Sorry to hear this, the added content was good and I was hopeful there would be more coming.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

RIP lovely game

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Back 4 Blood - [sad trombone outro]

I refunded Back 4 Blood shortly after launch, but I kind of assumed it would get good at some point and that I'd pick it up again during some future Steam sale.

RIP, I guess. Thank goodness for Hunt: Showdown. :/

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It started bad and still has some issues but it’s a good game now and fine as it is. Not everything needs to be forever (and nothing should be).

I can only hope local hosting is patched in when the severs are inevitably shut down (lol WB won’t pay for that)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I felt they put out a good amount of content for the season pass and over time they made drastic improvements to the gameplay. Had some good runs, exploited builds, and TKed some pubbies

RIP to a pretty okay game

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I felt they put out a good amount of content for the season pass and over time they made drastic improvements to the gameplay. Had some good runs, exploited builds, and TKed some pubbies

RIP to a pretty okay game

I think that’s essentially it. Game had some good points but was largely just “okay.” Not awful, not amazing, just alright.

I’m sure the DLC didn’t sell enough to justify more, the announcement makes sense to me.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Do we really need forever updates to play this game anyway

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
With the card system I'm surprised we didn't get a random draw difficulty option. Not being able to predict what'll come out of your deck at each level would've been a fun quirk.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This game was doomed the moment they used "devs of l4d" in their advertising.

Should have let it stand on its own merits

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, they should have said "from the developers of Evolve"

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

dogstile posted:

This game was doomed the moment they used "devs of l4d" in their advertising.

Should have let it stand on its own merits

everyone was going to compare it to l4d anyways since this is a l4d clone

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It was dead for my friends when it didn't have the versus mode in the style of L4D for sure, we gave the beta a go and hated the version of it they had in the game. I would have been willing to give the full game a go in the standard co-op cause that seemed reasonably functional if a little buggy but they were unconvinced so we never got that critical mass of people to play it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Things this game had over L4D:

- More intricate gunplay
- Build tinkering, for those inclined

Things that were worse:
- Literally everything else

I can't get over the enemy design, in particular.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, I feel like the game would have been more successful with an actual versus mode and keeping the build system without using the “draw one card every round” system.

I appreciate that they tried to do something different but they missed a massive draw from L4D in not having versus, then stumbled on the implementation of the card system.

This is a game that was about as firmly 6/10 as I’ve ever seen. Great with friends, but otherwise… just okay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Corbeau posted:

I can't get over the enemy design, in particular.

I... I just realized that outside of, like, the ogre, I can't think of a single monster in this game after putting it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It had the annoying screamer, that was a standout.

The spitting wankers were also the bane of my life. Just immediate attrition.