Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey all! Thanks for clicking.

My wife has been doing tarot readings for 25 years privately for herself, friends, and family members. One of her councilors suggested she do tarot readings online professionally and I think it would be a great way to make money during and after the pandemic. Problem is she's never had a reading done, no idea how much to charge or what it would be like.

Not interested in any info about the tarot, she's read a ton of books, I believe she's more knowledgable than most people making money off this stuff. She's an incredibly bright woman, I think she'd be amazing and I want to encourage her.

How much to charge for how long a session?
Viability / chalenges inherent in online sessions?
Benefits of online sessions as opposed to in person ones?

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After she gets her tarot business off the ground, you should think about going into chiropractic.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

After she gets her tarot business off the ground, you should think about going into chiropractic.

Chiropractic is a pretty high effort way of scamming people though. Tarot's got it beat there. I think my favorite subgenre of the 'Taking Advantage of Gullible People' industry is a remote pet psychic. I poo poo you not, my aunt paid someone to act as a therapist for her dog from 20 miles away. It's brilliant.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 26, 2020

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Chiropractic is a pretty high effort way of scamming people though. Tarot's got it beat there. I think my favorite subgenre of the 'Taking Advantage of Gullible People' industry is a remote pet psychic. I poo poo you not, my aunt paid someone to act as a therapist for her dog from 20 miles away. It's brilliant.

video pet reiki is the pro scam

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BBQ Dave posted:

Hey all! Thanks for clicking.

My wife has been doing tarot readings for 25 years privately for herself, friends, and family members. One of her councilors suggested she do tarot readings online professionally and I think it would be a great way to make money during and after the pandemic. Problem is she's never had a reading done, no idea how much to charge or what it would be like.

Not interested in any info about the tarot, she's read a ton of books, I believe she's more knowledgable than most people making money off this stuff. She's an incredibly bright woman, I think she'd be amazing and I want to encourage her.

How much to charge for how long a session?
Viability / chalenges inherent in online sessions?
Benefits of online sessions as opposed to in person ones?

Can't imagine you're going to get much help setting up a scam business like Tarot Reading on this site OP.

edit-This was far too serendipitous to not post

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 5, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ L m a o

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

WHAT. HOW. I NEED THIS JOB.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
C-SPAM has plenty of qualified individuals that could help you OP

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
If you want to scam people, sell crystals

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Abongination posted:

If you want to scam people, sell crystals

Make sure they’re charged up properly too

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey, come on guys! She gave me a reading last week and the cards said my best way forward at work is to make sure I close all the cabinets in the kitchen instead of leaving them open!

But seriously she's been doing her own research and the way people get taken advantage of is turning her off, even though I don't think she would take advantage of people. Like I said she'd never had a reading done for herself. To me, it's entertainment that encourages self-reflection.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The overwhelming majority of people do not go into a Tarot reading for 'Entertainment and Self-Reflection'. They do it because they are scared, insecure, and so badly want to believe that someone can divine solutions to their life through literal Magic™. The financial transaction helps codify that as a legitimate service

Tarot reading, crystal diving and all forms of soothsaying and psychic nonsense is a huge scam that a large number of people fall for, but those are the obvious ones. As you get closer to 'less ridiculous poo poo', you run into things like homeopathy, chiropractic, and a lot of other bunk health poo poo that looks a lot more legitimate on the surface level and fools a lot more people.

It's great that she's put off by the fact that it's a massive scam, but even if she knows it's 'for entertainment purposes only' and is clear it's not to be taken seriously, it's still fueling this culture of people who are searching for solutions that might as well belong in the Harry Potter universe and is a big reason why we seem to have an increasingly difficult time as a society in distinguishing truth from lies.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't have a horse in this race but that seems like a stretch to me, fortune-telling is about as old as prostitution as far as professions go.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't have a horse in this race but that seems like a stretch to me, fortune-telling is about as old as prostitution as far as professions go.

Yes, and we used to burn witches and pay religious leaders to ward off evil spirits, but we don't do that any more for a good reason: It's all a scam.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yet for some reason the scam is legal but the one that benefits society is illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What I'm saying is it's a stretch to say fortune-telling has played a big part in our present societal woes. Even conspiracy theory poo poo online is nothing new, it's just more mainstream now than it was 30 years ago for some reason.