Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Problem description: I have a stable, non crashing PC with a single kit of GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZR comprised of 2*8GB sticks of ram with Samsung B-die chips, which are able to run in XMP 3600 at 16-16-16-36. I wanted to upgrade to 32GB of ram, so I bought the same reference from a seller. I received the kit with the same reference (F4-3600C16D-16GTZR), but after installation, it seems they are now composed of Micron chips and the timings are different for XMP 3600 at 16-18-18-38 (my research finds its a common issue of manufacturers switching chips during runs of assembly?).

After installing the second kit, I have begun experiencing crashes while watching youtube (chrome errors out) and with CP2077 (lol) and other non demanding games.

MEMTEST86 shows over 10000 errors on a single pass, with XMP enabled. If I disable XMP, I get a single error, but it's still considered a failure/defective ram issue.
MEMTEST86 shows 0 errors on my original kit running alone.

Attempted fixes: Removed second ram kit. Issue seems resolved.

Recent changes: Added a second kit of the same reference as the first kit I put in the PC when I built it (see problem description). Added an RTX3080 in lieu of my GTX1060. I have ample PSU power (750W 80+ Platinum seasonic).

--

Operating system: WIN10 Ultimate

System specs: Ryzen 5 3600 (AIO cooler), X570 Asrock Steel Legend, RTX3080, 750W 80+Platinum Seasonic PSU, 2*1TB PNY CS3030 NVME, 1*1TB Samsung 860EVO, 1*2TB Samsung 870QVO.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, currently in the process of contacting seller and GSKILL about this issue but holidays so welp.

TL;DR: The problem is "solved" as in I can get the PC to work without errors by removing the second ram kit, but is this a common issue/is it even possible/have I been sold a counterfeit kit? AFAIK it has GSKILL seals and foils on the box/kit.
Thanks for any help/opinions on this very wierd issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

but is this a common issue/is it even possible/have I been sold a counterfeit kit? AFAIK it has GSKILL seals and foils on the box/kit.

I haven't heard much about counterfeit stuff lately. It's possible but I think it's more likely to be a manufacturing/quality control issue than that.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Well I now have the attention of GSKILL tech support, who are requesting a crap ton of pictures to find out what exactly is the problem.

The reason I thought counterfeit at first is that the kit was shipped from China (I know, cliche, and they are literally manufactured there) and they came in a retail TridentZ RGB box that had absolutely no reference/UPC stickers on it. I still have the box for the original kit I had bought when I built the PC, and its backside is covered in stickers showing references, serial numbers, UPC codes, etc.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The reason I thought counterfeit at first is that the kit was shipped from China (I know, cliche, and they are literally manufactured there)...

Buying through an unknown private seller in some countries does increase the likelihood of getting something inauthentic. Whether it's an SSD, RAM, flash drive et al.

Flash drives sometimes have fake storage sizes, SSDs sometimes have junky read/write speeds. Lots of odd stuff is being sold out there.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 26, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TL;DR: The problem is "solved" as in I can get the PC to work without errors by removing the second ram kit, but is this a common issue/is it even possible

It is an unfortunately common issue. The actual memory chips used in RAM are only made by a handful of companies - Samsung, Micron, and Hynix being the biggest suppliers. There are some other manufacturers, but nowhere near as common. Companies like G.Skill or Corsair or whomever produce RAM with memory chips from one of these suppliers, and it can be damnably difficult to tell exactly which one. If you go back through the AMD thread you'll see discussions of this and programs like Thaiphoon Burner which can help ID the memory chip manufacturer.

Since a particular line of RAM is mostly sold on how they look and the overall speed, you can end up with identically-branded RAM from the same manufacturer using different memory chips. This is especially problematic on AMD systems.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Yeah I knew about the big 3 and when I researched for the best RAM I could find for my system, I emailed corsair reps about reliability of getting a kit known for using samsung ram chips. They told me the information was confidential and they could not confirm/deny that the kit I would order would absolutely have those ram chips.

I emailed GSKILL about the issue, they replied to send CPUZ reports/pictures of the kit and determined that it is indeed counterfeit. I returned it to the seller.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah I knew about the big 3 and when I researched for the best RAM I could find for my system, I emailed corsair reps about reliability of getting a kit known for using samsung ram chips. They told me the information was confidential and they could not confirm/deny that the kit I would order would absolutely have those ram chips.

I emailed GSKILL about the issue, they replied to send CPUZ reports/pictures of the kit and determined that it is indeed counterfeit. I returned it to the seller.

Wow - glad to hear G.Skill was on top of it, at least. I think the last 64GB of RAM I've bought were all G.Skill and I've been happy with them, but it's good to hear their customer service being responsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
They were super responsive, especially considering the holidays (not sure how much that applies to Taiwan though).