Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I realize this is probably a weird topic but its something I've been thinking about lately. My mom is a longtime fan of the moody blues and I inherited her taste by exposure. I've always felt that they were a band that was somehow considered separate from what was considered the 'progressive' movement of bands like ELP, yes or gentle giant. Are they symphonic rock? are they prog? something else? does it matter?

I've always reallly like john lodge's basslines and think mike pinder's mellotron work is really great, but I also feel like they get short shrift as musicians compared to guys like chris squire or rick wakeman. I guess I'm curious how other people feel about the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They're prog adjacent to me.

I listened to a few albums this summer. A few of their early albums flow together. Days of Future Passed has an actual theme. To Our Children's Children's Children flows together to the point I can barely pick out individual songs.

The Afternoon is more progressive to me than Nights in White Satin. I'm Just a Singer is pure pop. Melancholy Man is one of my favorite songs ever, but it's not overly complicated.

I like the Moodys enough to buy albums, but not enough to spend more than $5 on one.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
any band that makes concept albums in the 60s or 70s and then makes synth bangers in the 80s is prog, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmPFrkuPq0

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

any band that makes concept albums in the 60s or 70s and then makes synth bangers in the 80s is prog, imo

lol this reminds me that the first time i heard English Sunset with its drum machine i thought it was an EDM remix or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d03HXCF2ZL4

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Progressive rock is such a broad genre that's been around for so long and been applied to so many things that In the Court of the Crimson King and Vaxis, Act 1: The Unheavenly Creatures are both considered prog rock albums from two prog rock bands despite sounding nothing alike. In the middle you have the 80s output of bands like Genesis and Yes which verge on synthpop at times. In other words:

abraham linksys posted:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I saw The Moody Blues in concert in the mid-80s. The local radio station that sponsored the concert held a poster contest. Each poster had to represent a song by the band. One person's entry was based on "Nights in White Satin". However, I think (or hope) the person thought the first word was "knight" because it pictured a knight wearing a white satin robe.

And hood. A pointy hood.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I always pigeonholed the Moodys as ‘prog for people who don’t do drugs’, or very many drugs, anyway. I’ve never met anyone who liked ‘Tales of a Topographic Ocean’ that was a big Moody Blues fan, and vice-versa.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It’s mustache rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nights In White Satin is definitely prog at least