Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay this isn't really a question for help per se, I just wanna share a weird computer ghost story.

Last year I replaced my monitor because it would randomly go dark, and eventually not turn back on. While researching I found out that it was probably suffering from a common problem that could be fixed with some spare parts and a soldering iron. I didn't have the patience to do that for an old monitor so I got a new one.

The thing is, this one is turning off, too, but in an exceptionally weird way. What's so weird about it? Well, it happens only during very specific moments: when I take off my bath robe. You see, when I am relaxing with a game, I am often wearing my bath robe over my PJs. When I get up, I leave that robe behind on my chair. That causes a crackle of static electricity. And when I hear that crackle of static electricity, there's a chance that my monitor turns dark for a brief moment. I feel that shouldn't be possible to happen, given that I'm a meter away from anything computer-related at the time, and both the screen and the cables are properly isolated and correctly plugged in. I believe I can also rule out a defective cable or bad connection - I'm not touching or shaking anything on the desk when I get up, and when I intentionally the desk, monitor, and cables, nothing happens. The cable is also a new one.

What's going on here? Am I taking crazy pills? Can static electricity jump a meter across the room and cause interference? Is my bath robe actually a Sith robe that projects the Force when taken off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's possible especially if you're wearing wool and near a heating vent. I'd try using a humidifier in that area and seeing if things change.

If an area is dry you can get a lot of static electricity between carpeting and a laptop as one example.

Lightning itself is caused by static electricity. And it can travel hundreds of miles in less than a second.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Yes its possible, especially with carpet and low humidity. JayzTwoCents recently had a video where he repeatedly resets his monitor just moving around in his chair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62vlsIGzY4&t=662s

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I'm actually having a similar experience now that the weather is so dry. Shuffling around in the winter wearing socks, sweaters over shirts, etc. (basically anytime two fabrics rub against each other) is a recipe for static buildup. Whenever I sit down and touch my keyboard - which has a metal frame - there's a shock. My the monitor flickers off briefly but then comes right back on. I hope it won't cause long term damage, but I'm trying to be careful by 'grounding' myself first. I'll usually try to touch something else metal as I enter the room, like the little screw holding the lightswitch cover plate in place. That seems to help. I still get shocked, of course, but not my computer.

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
You're not crazy, but try downloading Radon since it broadcasts in ultrasound to see if it can disperse some of that interference.