Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
This is a bit different from the norm around here, but here I go! I am working with an old 1987 IBM PS/2 286 @10mhz for some retro computing. I had a few questions some fellow retro-PC users (Or old timers) might know:

1. What adapters can be used to access the internet over serial? All my MCA slots are full (SCSI 50 card, 4MB memory expansion, video card.) I was thinking a serial to ethernet adapter, but I'm unsure what would work. I could also use a Null Modem cable, but it would have to connect to a nearby Mac Mini using a USB adapter, and I don't think that's going to function.
2. Looking for ideas on a sound card, it has a built in speaker with no volume control atm. Again my MCA slots are full. Suggestions?
3. What HDD sizes does SCSI-1 50 support? I haven't been able to get a concrete answer on this. The SCSI enabler in it does have a bootable BIOS chipset. Answers I've seen include 240mb, 1GB, 2GB, and 8GB. The original disk is a whopping 20MB ESDI edge-mount drive.
4. Does anyone know of a place that can repair circuit boards of this vintage? My FDD needs to be recapped and they are tightly arranged surface-mount caps so they're a bit much for me. I have to use an external 5 1/4" drive at the moment.

Attempted fixes:
I tried to hunt down a Serial to Ethernet adapter, but I'm not sure which ones will work for this purpose. Also unsure of exact configuration needed to make this work. Also contacted a TV repair shop about the FDD, but upon seeing it in person refused to touch it.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
I'm not sure "recent" can be used to describe this thing.

Operating system: Windows 3.1/ DOS 5.0

System specs:
IBM PS/2 Model 50 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAH1aHmwR0 at 14:20 if you want to see a salesman take it apart back in the 80's.)
10Mhz 286 (Plans to upgrade to 40Mhz 486/487)
5MB RAM (Upgradable to 10MB, is 1MB without the card.)
50 pin SCSI to SD adapter, configurable capacity.
1MB Eagle II video card.
Cable-less design, there's not a single cable in this thing except a single PSU connector.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

If I get all this working again I'll upload pictures of it playing some sweet, sweet games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
I think all the modern serial to Ethernet are built fr modern OSes. Finding something with dos drivers is going to be hard.

Just a warning: Assuming you can get your hands on a decent processor adapter for putting a 486 in a 286 socket, you are still going to castrate performance by running that thing at 16-bit memory bus. (think 386SX). it is even worse because your bus speed will still be a painful 10 mhz!

I don't think there is a theoretical limit on how large a hard drive you can access via a SCSI adapter (because the controller is on the drive, so you're not wrestling with IDE). But you will still run into maximum storage sises in dos

Also, I have been using an old PS/2 mouse pad fr my HTPC for the last decade (but haven't used one since I was in I was in middle school), so I cant provide hands-on help.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 7, 2021

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
That's fair, I'll probably just skip the networking part anyway, it's not really important for such a machine. Either way the main goal of going from 286 to 386+ is the 32bit application support more than raw performance, that with the memory add-in card it should open up my options quite a bit, Not even doom runs on it in it's default configuration. I did get a hold of a 286 to 486 adapter containing a TI 40mhz with FasMath co-processor, so I'm hoping the bus doesn't strangle it too badly.

I ended up finding out my SCSI controller supports 4GB, which is an odd number but a fair sight better than the 20mb it had originally.

Thanks for the info, I'll post when the adapter gets here (Found it overseas) and let you know how it works.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Why is 4gb weird? it's the maximum Partition size supported by FAT16 (with hacks), and also the maximum file size supported by the hack-job that was FAT32.

This literal cluster-gently caress and late release of exFATis the reason why it took so long for them to bypass the 4GB limit on microSD.

By limiting the size, you maintain easier compatibility with older systems..it's not like you're going to be playing many CD-based games on the equivalent of a 486 DX 20( every early-90s game worth playing can fit on 1gb partition.)

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 8, 2021

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Ah, that's fair, I wasn't aware that was the FAT16 limit. I'm used to newer systems with the normal IDE breakpoints of 2gb etc.

I was originally planning on 1GB, it's definitely not going to be a problem. I meant it more as a positive as I was expecting a max of 1-2GB. Now the trick is actually booting to it. It seems booting to third party SCSI cards is a bit funky so I'm still figuring out how to make it all get along. I found I can't install FreeDOS on the system as I don't have a CD drive for it, and the new 1.3 version with the FDD edition hangs loading the disk. Currently giving DOS 6.22 a shot.

I also found some old RAM I had laying around, so the system's now up to 9MB, it takes like 5 minutes to count it all.