Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm going to finally finish symphogear because I've been saying that for years now but more importantly I am going to design my own vtuber avatar and either stream with a placeholder of it or with the actual avatar itself depending on my potential mama.

Also I think we've saved this marriage so good job team.

lol this aged poorly

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm sorry bees :(

Also yeah there's no way I'm gonna come even close to completing my resolution. Too much irl stuff I've been dealing with to watch all of the anime, especially the monogatari series. Glad this was the year we didn't toxx.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

I liked the set of three I did last year but I’m missing a slot so I’ll take suggestions:

1) Watch a 50-60 episode series. Probably kaiji but suggestions might make me change my mind

2) Read Higurashi, picked up the last few chapters I was missing on the steam sale

3) Watch a short ova series. Suggestions needed, I’ve seen gunbuster/diebuster, giant robo, and garden of sinners

Thankfully I didn't lock in kaiji, I rewatched chihayafuru near the start of the year so I'm counting it. Just gotta watch an ova now...

chihayafuru is good but season 3 was a bit of a letdown since it was mostly buildup.

Argona fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 1, 2021

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Julias posted:

I'm sorry bees :(

Also yeah there's no way I'm gonna come even close to completing my resolution. Too much irl stuff I've been dealing with to watch all of the anime, especially the monogatari series. Glad this was the year we didn't toxx.

You should do it as a 2022 resolution, no worries mate. Unless you don’t feel like it- either way is ok, but I hope you give it a try if it is still a viable choice for your life next year.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Next year we toxins. The lack of pressure is destroying our commitment to anime

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished AI: the Somnium Files, which was a pretty great game. I really liked the level of interaction in it, which was enough to keep you invested, but not so much as to be tedious. Probably could have done with a few more routes to it, though, since it was pretty linear, which made it especially annoying when I made a choice, got immediately plot locked, and then had to go make the other choice, which the game then basically laughs at you for being dumb enough to make. Generally some of Uchikoshi's best work overall, though, and I'm excited for the sequel next year.

This leaves me with:

1. Ever17, a game which I started, got through one route, and then had my computer break on me. I've been waiting to forget what I'd done so far before starting over, so now's probably a good time.

2. Fate/Stay Night, the brick wall that will almost certainly get me banned,

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh i finished all my toxx shows a couple months ago but forgot to post about it. dont ban me. im watching ranma now and will also finish that by the end of the year

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is the year we’re not banning people for failing but Julias will decide who accomplished the most ambitious resolution and I will buy that person a forums upgrade

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Or donate £10 to a charity of their choosing, or something else if they want

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

This is the year we’re not banning people for failing but Julias will decide who accomplished the most ambitious resolution and I will buy that person a forums upgrade

AnoHito posted:

I am also more than willing to go down in a blaze of glory regardless of what hell 2021 has in store, so I'm gonna at least try to :toxx: regardless, and dare anyone to not enforce it.

I guess throwing :10bux: to a charity would probably be a good compromise, though...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean I have no power here other than being a thread op but I’m happy with that outcome

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spoilers: i did not end up reading 40 vns, cause i focused more of my efforts on learning jp so i could read untranslated vns

i did read like 18 though and played like 8 or 9 jrpgs. and watched more than 20 anime from before 2013. i stalled on srpgs cause summon night made me want to work hard in my japanese

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm only going to finish one show off my backlog list but I did stay on top of more current shows so it was half fail/half success.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The back half of 2021 has been a personal disaster, especially the last two months, so mt motivation has tanked and I probably won't be able to complete my Gundam franchise watch this year.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll make a post when the next thread is up, but I'll basically be carrying over from this list. I'll toxx to watch the rest of the monogatari series (no this does not count katanagatari), and on the non-toxx side I'll take the monthly suggestions and stick to them. Since I still have two free spaces from that, I'll throw in Flag since Davincie recommended that to me like 2 years ago and I'll use the last one for princess tutu.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

I liked the set of three I did last year but I’m missing a slot so I’ll take suggestions:

1) Watch a 50-60 episode series. Probably kaiji but suggestions might make me change my mind

2) Read Higurashi, picked up the last few chapters I was missing on the steam sale

3) Watch a short ova series. Suggestions needed, I’ve seen gunbuster/diebuster, giant robo, and garden of sinners

I watched Time of Eve for the short series. While I liked the music and art of it, the actual plot was a bit too barebones to really get into. I'd give it 7 evlends out of 10.

Wow, I actually finished my not-toxx this year, really wasn't expecting it (i guess i kind of cheated with the long series). Probably won't do a long series as part of it next year, i'd rather go at my own pace for those.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Argona posted:

I watched Time of Eve for the short series. While I liked the music and art of it, the actual plot was a bit too barebones to really get into. I'd give it 7 evlends out of 10.

Yeah, I remember feeling like there should be like 2-3 more seasons where the things they were building to amounted to something, but they just don't exist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Imma continue my Gundam-athon, but this time focusing on non-UC stuff.

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IBO

And just for Bees:

IGLOO

I was doing pretty well but got distracted by a bunch of things so haven't gotten past episode 14 or so of Wing. I'll keep this list as my 2022 list and probably add in Turn A into it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will not be able to read 40 vns or play 5 srpgs before the end of the year. i did beat more than five jrpgs, watch way more than 20 anime from before 2013, beat srwv and get halfway through fe10, and read like 15 vns though. i started focusing harder on learning japanese than on solely playing and reading stuff so that cut into all that time

here is my vn rankings of what i did finish (i am stalling on subahibi)

1. flowers 3. one of the funniest lesbian dramas i've read and it hits some legitimately interesting notes about young lesbian sexuality in a fundamentalist catholic upbringing. matches up very well next to flowers 2 in showing the writer's strengths

2. fata morgana requiem. it's not as hard hitting as the original but the character writing is strong and the epilogue stuff is great

3. seven days with the ghost. again, really funny game that explores lesbian sexuality and coming out of the closet in really interesting ways and has a really sweet message at the end

4. 428. absolute blast. really fun ride that uses its live action cg presentation to fantastic effect. i watched canaan afterwards and it was a messy show but i also enjoyed it as a janky 2000s lesbian action drama.

5. oshirabu. a pretty cute lesbian romcom. i don't think it's as hard hitting as flowers or ghost but the core dynamic is entertaining and the epilogue is epic

6. curse of kudan. much much messier and less consistent than flowers but it has some really entertaining character dynamics and the ending is the perfect kind of bizarre melodrama and resolution to the core relationships

7. danganronpa v3. easily my favorite of the trilogy. it's not perfect, chapter 3's messy, but i really like most of the cast and how the story ends up resolving

8. 13 sentinels. i think some of the ways it resolves stuff are a little underwhelming compared to the earlier character writing but overall it's a great ride, greatly enjoyed it.

9. first snow. pretty good short form relationship drama. some of the presentation was neat and i like how low key its overall progression is.

10. anaheim girls' love story. in a lot of ways it was the worst yuri vn i read this year. but its bizarre tie ins to stardust memory and how absolutely wild the writing gets at points ended up leaving me very entertained

11. dino island. does this count? i put it in the list so i guess i'm counting it. it's a cute attempt at making a short ova using the sega saturn's 2d rendering capabilities. there's some cute visual gags, worth the 40 or so minutes it takes to finish

12. metal slader glory. pretty derivative but it has a real janky 90s mecha ova charm and the presentation is wild for famicom.

13. danganronpa. fun enough murder mystery adventure even if the mysteries tended to be pretty weak. the presentation is on the mark and the pacing is decent so it was a fun ride nonetheless

14. danganronpa 2. it had ingredients for me to like it more than 1 but i found almost every single narrative choice to be obnoxious and poorly planned out and universally leading to undercutting itself and delivering very unsatisfying growth and resolution

15. hanahira. okay no this actually was the worst yuri vn i read this year. i was trying it out to practice my japanese but the writing was basic and repetitive enough i kinda stopped paying attention towards the end. it's fine but i already barely remember it

16. dead end junction. how do you make a rooty tooty cowboy fantasy adventure with magic dark knights and revenge-powered necromancer outlaws so utterly dull. the ending also sucks, it's inconclusive in the boring kind of way where it promises to explain all of what just happened but there's no sequel and the game barely had anything interesting i wanted an explanation for in the first place. it just made me want to play a wild arms game instead

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The year nobody finished

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I couldn't even finish the one show I had good momentum on because after those storms a couple weeks back my internet has been too lovely to stream anything and I never got to watch more of it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i did finish this year!!! i actually finished a couple months ago but totally forgot to post about it because the thread was buried pages back. also because i didnt really have a lot to say about the shows i watched? they were all good. even cross ange, which i knew i would like going in because its big and dumb and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

If we are going on honor system I would believe that's Paper Lion. So congrats :toot: