Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
idk. my gf has a 144hz monitor and it always looks amazingly buttery smooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I didn’t read any of this and i don’t know anything about monitors but I’d say that 144 is better because greater than.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it’s pretty gross

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a massive 1024x768, incredible 16 bit color, and x11 with only the finest toolkits like Xaw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

up to say 100hz i could see for reducing eyestrain, but 120 or 144hz is the monitor equivalent of audiophiles claiming they can hear ultrasonics

Everyone thinks this until they try it.

You can absolutely tell the difference between 60, 100, 120, 144hz and I bet it keeps going past that but that's where my monitor stops. I tested it out with unreal tournament 99 with various frame limiters and 120-144 is obviously more subtle than 60-120 but there's a difference.

Even just dragging windows around on a 60hz screen feels sluggish and jittery once you get used to the high frame rate.

E: you also need a mouse with a high report rate to really take advantage of it. Mine can be toggled between 125hz and 500hz and yep, you notice the difference there too

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

"i need 144hz for eye strain reasons", say people who never ran x windows at 1024x768 interlaced on a 14" crt
this happened to me with beos(so technically not x11) because it would only work in generic vesa mode. i could only take it for like 10 minutes. shame too, really as i quite liked it apart from the feeling that i’d get a nosebleed at any second.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Everyone thinks this until they try it.

You can absolutely tell the difference between 60, 100, 120, 144hz and I bet it keeps going past that but that's where my monitor stops. I tested it out with unreal tournament 99 with various frame limiters and 120-144 is obviously more subtle than 60-120 but there's a difference.

Even just dragging windows around on a 60hz screen feels sluggish and jittery once you get used to the high frame rate.

E: you also need a mouse with a high report rate to really take advantage of it. Mine can be toggled between 125hz and 500hz and yep, you notice the difference there too

you can save yourself all this strife by refusing to expose yourself to anything above 60

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i went through that argument when i was looking to get a new monitor. oh if i get something that's high frame rate what if it ruins 60hz for me forever?

well it did. my laptop screen now feels chunky and slow. oh well. i don't regret it, hfr is way way better

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

well it did. my laptop screen now feels chunky and slow.

turn ur laptop screen on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i remember some dude arguing that movies in 60fps were objectively better

but low frame rates and motion blur are actually the best

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i remember some dude arguing that movies in 60fps were objectively better

but low frame rates and motion blur are actually the best

as an artistic choice in cinema yes.

in user interaction no. your eyes and nerves 'refresh' way faster than the monitor. anything that gets you closer to an instant response is an improvement

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s pretty gross

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

echinopsis posted:

you can save yourself all this strife by refusing to expose yourself to anything above 60

A couple years back I bought a new TV, Sony x900e, 4k hdr 120hz. Sweet.

Later I bought a Acer monitor, 1440p, hdr, 144hz. Also sweet.

Sometime later I hook my computer up to the TV. Something is wrong. Horribly wrong.

Did a bunch of reading and it turns out that my TV is HDMI 2.0b which tops out at 60fps input. The panel is capable of 120 but only with trash motion interpolation.

Still pissed about that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Last Day of 2020 posted:

Sometime later I hook my computer up to the TV. Something is wrong. Horribly wrong.

Did a bunch of reading and it turns out that my TV is HDMI 2.0b which tops out at 60fps input. The panel is capable of 120 but only with trash motion interpolation.

Still pissed about that.

I bought a 1080i CRT TV like 15 years ago and I still have it. We almost always just watch stuff on iPads/desktop at this point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Day of 2020 posted:

Still pissed about that.

i had a tv like that and, even with decent motion interpolation, its just useless because nothing is intended for it aside from making sports look more natural

some turn-based but frame locked games looked a bit better but uh