Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

The phenomenal universe is an obvious fake. Just look out of a window. The color is off.

What are the chances that you just happen to be alive at the same time as automobiles, jet planes and smartphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
existence doesn't exist. we are all theoretical figures in a logic system. we exist as much as variables exist in a math proof. :weed:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
consciousness is the one thing that cannot be false

Convoolio posted:

The phenomenal universe is an obvious fake. Just look out of a window. The color is off.

What are the chances that you just happen to be alive at the same time as automobiles, jet planes and smartphones?

idk man right now th chances of being born at the same time as automobiles jet planes and smartphones is 100%

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

echinopsis posted:

consciousness is the one thing that cannot be false

:hmmyes:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

right here's a question:

when I smoke weed, my creativity regarding playing music goes through the roof. it just opens doors on so many fronts so well. I try to make sure I record not just audio but also midi in case I come across a gem I can transport across the divide and work on in the straight dimension

anyway.. how do I tap into this without cannabis? obviously it's a drug and it makes the brain do things it otherwise wouldn't do but on the other hand cannabis doesn't bring it's own creativity, all that ability was already available in your current mind, just unaccessible to some extent

spose I'm just bringing it up rather than asking or proposing anything. wondering if anyone has any thoughts about that.

i also identify with this and it sucks. i wish i could relax and be creative unaided

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
just try ffs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what??? just try to be creative???

lol i’ll let running out of weed do that for me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's about getting lost in the act of playing. weed makes it really easy to be completely immersed in activities, be it music, video games, movies, or whatever. all the literature about being in a flow state is pretty much what you want

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Workaday Wizard posted:

existence doesn't exist. we are all theoretical figures in a logic system. we exist as much as variables exist in a math proof. :weed:

ive been reading a lot about the logical positivists recently and imo they have interesting things to say about this sort of problem. AFAICT they think that it's not a meaningful question to ask if "existence actually exists" - either you are asking it within our system of communication, in which case it's true by definition, or you mean something else, in which case what set of experiences could answer your question either way? There probably aren't any, so the question lacks meaning.

in their original time they thought it was important to tie philosophy to people's lived experience to prevent them being deceived by the facists (they thought that statements like "the greatest thing is to die for the fatherland" were unverifiable and therefore not properly meaningful). Then they all fled to america where the FBI started investigating them and most of them gave up on the political content of their work. apparently a guy called Quine showed that some of their stuff doesn't work but it's pretty hard to understand imo (much clearer writing than most philosophy though!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

positivists were dope. neurath was dope. like half of their entire program was just a nonstop windmill dunk from half court on heidegger over and over and it's rad

i think the positivists get kind of a bad rap these days bc people read them as too dogmatic (quine joke)