Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Update (2021-12-10): Game development is proceeding really nicely and it's coming together well. It's amazing how fast things move once things like this move from "one developer and passion" into an actual dev team.

If you want to sign up to play test you can do so here: https://allianceofthesacredsuns.com/alliance-of-the-sacred-suns-playtest/

Alliance of the Sacred Suns is a character-driven strategy game. It's a sci-fi 4x, but instead of an omnipotent potentate you're a scrawny kid who just ascended the throne to a Mighty Galactic Empire small empire that was once pretty cool but, really, is kind of on its last legs. You don't have perfect intel, most of what you do is through others, and you can't do everything at once.

Honestly, this is the first game in a long while that is actually a strategy game, rather than a tactical or operational game with the word "strategy" slapped in front of it. It has the most innovations since Star Ruler 2, and is already in a better place than a lot of the crap you see on Steam.

If I like game <x> will I like this?
AotSS is Dune meets Stellaris meets Dwarf Fortress meets Distant World. The action point system is reminiscient of that in Solium Infernum. If you like 4x games, empire-building games, and turn-based strategy games, you'll probably enjoy AotSS.

Oh FFS not another Kickstarter
AotSS is a labor of love of mostly one person (Steve Hawkins). After developing in his spare time for several years--and releasing working versions of the game--he finally got financial backing from an actual studio early last year. Development picked up quite a bit. The $30K kickstarter is an all-or-nothing to get development completed more quickly (my guess--and it's just a guess--is that it goes back to a part-time thing if it's not funded).

I think this game will come out even if the KS fails, but supporting indie games is Good Thing when the alternative is shoveling more money at companies like EA.

Basically, if you like supporting indy developers who in turn support your bad life choices to play video games, this is a good one to throw some money at.

How do things work?
As emperor, you have a lot of power, but you're not all-powerful. You need to balance the opinion of the noble houses which make up your empire, the happiness or discontent of your people, your economy, your military, and so forth. You do so by taking actions, such as starting a project like "build a logistical hub here" or "build a fleet of warships." You can micromanage just about anything, but not at the same time. In game turns, you have a limited number of actions per turn (a turn represents about 3 months of real time). Some cool systems:
  • Power is a resource which can be gained by being a big, mean space emperor. If you're too mean and not actually strong, though, things can backfire.
  • Send your goons (heh) out to conduct espionage. Discover and repress dissent, or just get some useful gossip for leverage.
  • Lots of characters with various relationships with you and each other. It's like school, but in spaaaaace.
  • Use projects to manage your priorities.

The most efficient use of your time is to delegate--send a survey fleet out, but delegate running it to someone else. Start a new colony, but have a potential ally lead the expedition. Delegate too much to a handful of very powerful vassals, though, and people might start to see you as a figurehead. Delegate too much to your enemies, and they might grow too powerful. And, of course, the various houses are rivals, and someone will always be unhappy when another house gets that lucrative "build my space battle squadron" contract. Still, it's nothing that can't be solved with judicious use of your secret service.

Enough with your dumb opinions. I want reviews from acclaimed games journalists. Or at least some streamers.

Links

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Is this game like Eve Online?

The only game in your list I played was Dwarf Fortress.

Does this game have a lot of crafting and mining? I like games with crafting and mining.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 30, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
game abbreviates to rear end

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Colin Mockery posted:

Is this game like Eve Online?

The only game in your list I played was Dwarf Fortress.

Does this game have a lot of crafting and mining? I like games with crafting and mining.

Not really. It's influenced by Dwarf Fortress in that you set priorities and manage relationships with a large cast of NPCs. You can create projects to build mining stations, change your viceroy's priorities to mine, or manufacture, or farm, etc. If you enjoyed Dwarf Fortress, you'll almost certainly like AotSS. If you didn't, you still might, but for different reasons.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh hey congrats on getting picked up by a publisher!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The Kickstarter you linked to in the OP has been canceled.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The Kickstarter you linked to in the OP has been canceled.

There's a good-news reason for that!

https://twitter.com/KatHawkGames/status/1345131556046827521

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

They're opening up a beta and you can sign up here: https://forms.gle/EPfnBZGiW6qQx7Af8. It will be a limited beta.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I got to test uh... the alpha of this or something. It was interesting enough that I will probably buy if/when it comes out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sign up for closed beta is up. There are a few spots left as of this posting if anyone's interested. Game has come a long way and looks really good if you're into this sort of game.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1113400/view/3321980888430689401

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
There's a demo available for this game now on Steam, in case people are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Nice, I've had this game on my wishlist for a while.