Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey friendos! Happy new year to you all. I know it's been a challenging year for everybody in countless ways, but I thought I'd write for just a moment about what 2020 meant for me, especially in regards to these hallowed old forums, and how that has shaped my decisions for 2021 coming up.

2020 was the year that a lot of our interactions with Something Awful changed, but for me that change felt like a total re-shifting of my life in a lot of ways. This was the year I celebrated a decade working on SA's front page, a lot of it directly underneath the owner. It's also the year that owner finally wore out all his chances (more than he should have ever had) and got tossed, a development I thoroughly approve of. It might be the last year we even had an FP. It was a year where I had really big plans, to either help others rebuild what entertainment prospects they had or build new ones myself to fit into that ecosystem. All of that failed, despite me and some of the most talented people I've ever worked with doing our absolute damnedest. I can't think of a single plan that went right this year.

But that doesn't mean we didn't get to do some super-fun stuff in 2020. I'm extremely happy with what's happened to BYOB movie nights, a regular crowd to watch weird stuff with and even a chance to make my own goofy little films too. It was a banner year for CYOAs, an art form I've come to adore, with really great and memorable games by Luvcow, Zippie the Bummer and Khanstant just to name a few. I did not get to revive my beloved You Have 001 Goblins this year as planned, but I did get to mess around in the funky reaches of space with y'all for Xygote, which I'm still loving and fully intend to continue. Things don't always work out the way I want, but they do sometimes still work out. And I'm really grateful for that.

Which brings me to 2021. For the first time in a decade I have to face the fact that I'm probably not going to be involved with SA behind the scenes anymore. That era has passed, and it's time for me to start branching out more, and finding new and better ways to get my art and writing seen. It's going to be a year for trying out communities I have been really hesitant about, for taking chances and sailing under my own banner instead of someone else's. I still plan to be active here on the forums, but I seriously doubt I'll ever touch a Photoshop Phriday or Comedy Goldmine ever again. I really wonder if anybody will.

2021 is also gonna be the year I set up my own proper studio, so I can do more sculpture and photography and music videos, and yes, more goofy vampire cowboy host segments for old movies. By working through the holidays I've almost saved enough already to get started. I'll be sure to share the process and the fruits of that here in BYOB but there'll be other places to do it too, including a new personal hub site I'm building and, at long f'ing last, a Patreon. I'm hopeful I can keep making cool entertaining stuff with y'all, and if I never get tricked by a thieving sack of flaccid mullets like Kyanka again I'll consider myself all the richer for it.

Special thanks is due to the forums-users who have become my closest confidantes this year, to my old friend Heather Papps who was already on an adventure with me before this year's madness hit us like a tidal wave, but whom now I consider a true brother in silly arms. To PHIZ KALIFA and LoganFromCorporate, both of whose hard work and many talents continue to inspire me. To LiterallyABird and Kief Richards and GodSpeedJohnGlenn and DrunkNerds and Barudak and Applewhite and yeah, even to Jeffrey, all of whom I had some very insightful conversations and come-to-Jesus moments with as the cards fell. And to all you other yobbers and forums friends who have been on this ride with me. We could fill this thread to the brim with stories of how tough this year was and how it has changed our plans (and please do, I'm happy to hear them), but the most important aspect of it for me was that we stayed a community and we stayed on each others' side. Through plague and drama and collapses at all levels, the Yob remained and remains a fun and friendly place to do cool art and have cool conversations. There aren't words to describe how essential it's been to me. Thank you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Good words.

I'm happy to have brought my internet posting back to these forums this year. from :justpost: ing to lurking. I like posting in a not entirely anonymous community of mostly funny people. Looking forward to being inspired to do some :effort: posting in the new year.

Good luck on your new endeavors BFM!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Love you, BFM. You're a good egg and I'm proud of the work you've done this year.

biosterous

bfm i'm really glad that i got to know you this year, it is fun to chat with you and your movie nights are wonderful. i am happy to have you as a posting pal!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

happy

new

year

:toot:

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Somethingawful is losing a talented front page contributor in you, BFM. I wish you the best in your future endeavors, and I hope you stick around the yob.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Heather Papps

hello friend

i don't think either of us thought 2020 would be a forgettable year but the way it played out was hell of surprising.
onwards and upwards, brother!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

alnilam

In the second half of this year i moved across the country in a pandemic and then was the primary caregiver of my toddler when her daycare was closed, which was like almost half the time, all while trying to juggle working from home as well. The extra time with my daughter was very nice in many ways, but it was also a very tight schedule and needless to say it severely cut into my precious posting time, though I did do plenty of reading in the margins. I hate to say it but at times I was almost kind of a.... a lurker :stare: but that just means i must post, and i will, so goes the cycle of the yob. Anyway I'm sorry i haven't seemed as active but I want you all to know that even when it seemed like i wasn't around I was actually reading and enjoying all of your great posts and i want to thank you for them. I hope 2021 brings some slow return to normalcy and hence fewer daycare closures and hence much more posting :love:

ty manifisto

google THIS

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you done good bfm, thank you and I hope 2021 is better for everyone :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

hey BFM, wishing you all the best in your new endeavors!

really enjoyed your work and hope you feel proud of it because you should!

movie nights have been fun as hell and hope to continue watching (even though it's been a little chaotic for me lately cause life has kept interrupting with terrible timing because loving 2020)

definitely look forwards to following more of Xygote when you're able to continue!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!