Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Problem description:

Hi everyone,
This build is about 6 months old and since I've built it it's had an issue with freezing while playing games. The screen will lock and the system will repeat the sound it was making generating a delightful brrrrrrrr. I need to hard power down and restart to break it out of this. When the system comes back up it hangs on the windows swirl for about 45sec to a minute longer than usual. You'd think it would be taking longer to load because it's generating some type of error log but there's nothing in minidump. There isn't a consistent time frame or trigger as far as I can tell.

Couple things of note, the games that make it freeze aren't high-end, graphics-intensive games. I played Cyberpunk in several hour blocks and the system never froze, I'll play DOOM Eternal for hours no problem. The games it crashes on exclusively (that I've played recently) has been Magic the Gathering: Arena, Children of Morta, Tony Hawk 1+2 and an Android game emulator.

Attempted fixes:

Disabled all nvidia audio adapters (a known cause)
Updated all system drivers as well as CPU and GPU drivers
Ran DDU, disabled windows auto driver install, did a clean nvidia driver install
Limited the FPS system wide to 120fps, in the hopes that the GPU was drawing so many frames it was causing a buffer issue or something
Disabled XMP and ran the RAM at 2600(2400?)
Did a fresh windows install on a different hard drive

Ran with all non-essential hardware (MB, RAM, HD, GPU, CPU, Mouse+KB only)
Replaced(and upgraded) GPU because that's the obvious culprit
Replaced(and upgraded) PSU thinking that it could be underpowered or bad
Replaced and rerouted power cables thinking there may be a short

Recent changes:
Happening since I built it

Operating system:
Win10 Pro

System specs:

CPU is specifically the i5-9600k
RAM model is G.Skill 32GB DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Ripjaws V

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS and that W10 is fully updated.

What is the PSU?

You could also try running memtest overnight to check RAM health:
http://www.memtest.org/

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Bios and Windows are both up to date

The new PSU is a Gigabyte GP-P850GM - 80 Plus Gold 850W so it's definitely powerful enough and Gigabyte is a great brand.

I didn't think of memtest, I'll run that.

Thanks

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010

Helen Skelter posted:

I didn't think of memtest, I'll run that.

memtest is a great suggestion.
Have you checked the windows Event Viewer to see if anything was logged (such as a driver crash) ? You can find the Event Viewer in 'Windows Administrative Tools'. I would check it right after the system comes back up from a crash.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I think I fixed it. And I think the problem was .Net.

I ran Memtest and it came back clean, so no luck there.

Thanks for mentioning Eventviewer, evilmaniac!

I had looked through Event viewer early in troubleshooting but saw what I was seeing elsewhere -- nothing and then the event of me hard powering off. I had event viewer filtered to show Critical and errors only, when I set it to include Warning I saw the Schannel was spamming my system with TLS handshake failures before each crash. The times lined up pretty close to when I would have started playing a 2D game. After some googlin' turns out Schannel is part .Net 4.x

I ended up having to add a couple dword lines for .Net in the registry. Turns out .Net didn't enable TLS 1.2 or 1.3 and was spamming 1.0 requests.

Since the change I've played about 8 hours of two games that made my system crash and I haven't had it happen since the change.

edit:
I added the info about the regedit incase someone comes across this problem in the future
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]
"SystemDefaultTlsVersions"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]
This change is for any version of .Net 4

If you need to the same with earlier versions of .Net it is:
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727]