Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

riderchop posted:

It's good but I reserve the right to also describe the comics I post

Same, although I would like to be listed in the OP. As pithily as you please, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Some Guy TT posted:

Out Our Way, featuring the hit character of 1937. "Hit" as in "preferably with a blunt instrument". (December 13-15, 1937)

This is a better puzzle strip than Encyclopedia Brown as I'm always left wondering, what is this reference supposed to mean? Was life eighty years ago really that different?

I interpret this particular OOW as "little scrawny guy is having trouble holding onto the platters while the brawny guys chat to each other and don't take them or pass them around."

You don't read Scary Gary? :ohdear:

Also, wasn't someone keeping a running list of all the thread title changes of 2021?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Same, although I would like to be listed in the OP. As pithily as you please, of course.

yeah definitely, i want the op descriptions as well

Drimble Wedge posted:

I interpret this particular OOW as "little scrawny guy is having trouble holding onto the platters while the brawny guys chat to each other and don't take them or pass them around."

no way, theres a hand on his right and the man on his left is passing a bowl around

maybe meals used to be bigger??? post-depression mealtime is different?? why's there so many steaks on one plate

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Looks like a boarding house; I don't think there are many around anymore.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Drimble Wedge posted:

I do! Writing all those descriptions is energy-intensive (but good for keeping me awake), which is why I'm hoping other people will chip in before we're at the eleventh hour and I have to set my mind to finishing the full glossary.

riderchop posted:

It's good but I reserve the right to also describe the comics I post

That's for the better. Listing all the comics and offering simple thread hive mind opinions is one thing, but describing them in depth is a task only really suited for the person dedicated enough to actually post them.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Don’t feel like you have to write a history of every comic ever posted if it’s too much work or stressing you out. IIIRC the best OPs in this thread’s long history have been barely anything except classic edits and links to resources.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I have a Scary Gary writeup ready to go, so don't feel like you need to create something for it. :drac: It's not the most consequential strip.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, people will just do more specific writeups of the comics they post when they post them over the first couple of pages, don't stress out about it, you don't need an extensive overview of everything in the thread.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

Jucika

Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet recently and the obvious quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic. It can be read in full at Jucika Daily and Jucika In Order, both on Twitter.

Some adjustments for better reading flow and a better strip, imo. Thanks for making the OP, Some.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Drimble Wedge posted:

I think my favorite thing about Scary Gary is how clearly the characters' personalities are drawn. Like, I have an actual distinct voice in my head for Leopold that I hear whenever I read his dialogue. I don't get that with other comics, even other good ones.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If you end up doing a blurb about each strip in the OP (and it's cool if you decide it's too big a pain in the rear end), I'm seeing something like...

Luann is the tale of the blandest girl in all the world and her horrible friends. The writing and art are just the right mix of terrible and readable to make the strip rank consistently as one of the top 5 hate reads in the thread.

Feel free to edit that however you see fit. If I feel like a summary of the ongoing plot is necessary, I'll include it in my first Luann post of the new year.

I also post Junk Drawer, but I'm not sure what that blurb would be other than that it's good and that Ellis keeps reducing his publishing rate, so I don't know if it's long for this world.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I think my favorite thing about Scary Gary is how clearly the characters' personalities are drawn. Like, I have an actual distinct voice in my head for Leopold that I hear whenever I read his dialogue. I don't get that with other comics, even other good ones.

What does Travis sound like? I just realized that technically he should have some sort of burbly echo, given that he's surrounded by some sort of unknown liquid.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Travis always sounds cheerful, maybe in some part because of his 1950's clip-art design. But the tone of his voice in my head is that he's always trying to make the best of things.

Your idea about him sounding burbly and echoey makes a lot of sense, but oddly that's not how I hear him. In my head it's just regular speaking.

Unrelated Edit:

The Phantom posted:

Is no one else going to comment on the fact that this man apparently saw the Phantom's eyes and lived to tell about it?

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 1, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Travis' plight really freaks me out because I have a (not unreasonable, IMHO) phobia about decapitation, and the thought of just being a sentient head in a jar is just :gonk:.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Drimble Wedge posted:

Travis' plight really freaks me out because I have a (not unreasonable, IMHO) phobia about decapitation, and the thought of just being a sentient head in a jar is just :gonk:.

It is kinda Tommyknocker-ish when you think about it.

Just missing the power cords.

Maybe in the new post, mention the Comics We Do Not Speak Of (like 9cl, etc).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Note to self-- do not look in to the Tommyknockers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Happy New Year, goons!

Jucika "476 - Jucika And The Prolific House Plant"

Cutting it pretty close there, Jucika!

"477 - Jucika's Unlucky"

"strand = beach"

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Is no one else going to comment on the fact that this man apparently saw the Phantom's eyes and lived to tell about it?

He saw Savarna's eyes, which as far as we know only have conventional powers to freeze a man's blood. The Phantom has always been depicted as still wearing his sunglasses through surgery and such.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Well, I'll post it at midnight PST since no one is calling dibs. But if anyone wants to at least contribute to the OP more short year-end summaries of any comics that don't already have them would be nice. This is what I have so far for reference, presented without quote tags in alphabetical order.

Here's a quick write-up I have for Prince Valiant, if you want it:

Prince Valiant is a legacy strip that began in 1937. Drawn for decades by the brilliant Hal Foster, it follows the many adventures of the titular prince of Thule and knight of the Round Table. The strip is Sundays only, so I have been posting the modern strip (by Mark Schultz and Thomas Yeates) on Sundays and classic strips otherwise, from the excellent Fantagraphics collections. If you like what you see, I urge you to buy some of these collections, as they reproduce the strip in a lovely oversized format with stunning color fidelity. Foster's artwork is spectacular and these collections are probably the first time it has been given a format it deserves since first being published in papers.

I also have a detailed summary written up for when I post tomorrow. :)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hope you mutants have a nice year.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Resident Idiot posted:

He saw Savarna's eyes, which as far as we know only have conventional powers to freeze a man's blood. The Phantom has always been depicted as still wearing his sunglasses through surgery and such.

On re-read, you are right. I think I parsed "your friend" as "you". I gotta quit skimming through these things.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

riderchop posted:

yeah definitely, i want the op descriptions as well

no way, theres a hand on his right and the man on his left is passing a bowl around

maybe meals used to be bigger??? post-depression mealtime is different?? why's there so many steaks on one plate

I think this might be a reference to service a la francaise which was a Victorian style of dining that was eventually overtaken by service a la russe, which is pretty much the same as modern restaurant style dining today.

quote:

Guests served themselves and their neighbors; the men were generally supposed to help the ladies next to them...Service à la française sometimes required so much food to be set out that it was the custom of some hosts to have a second dinner party the following day, using what was left over for a slightly smaller number of less-important guests. William Makepeace Thackeray's character Major Pendennis (1850) is "indignant at being invited to a 'second-day dinner'".[13]

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_%C3%A0_la_fran%C3%A7aise)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

(Rip O'Haire by Paul Gringle, who did the post--Williams Out Our Way Sundays, December 31, 1968)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 20, 1934)

Peanuts (December 31, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean's parting shot to 2021? Dinkles all the way down.

Crankshaft, on the other hand, gives us the evergreen "OH, THAT WACKY <non-specific generic grumble>!"

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 2, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 23-25, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (July 8-10, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Failure To Properly Assess A Bad Prospect (November 29, 1913)

Little Lefty (November 7-9, 1935; spoilered because our white supremacist villain invokes the Magic Word (and its variations) again.)

Blondie (From Zero) (June 25-27, 1931)

This year kind of sucked in many new and exciting ways, but being a part of this continued to be a real gas. See you on the other side of midnight.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 1, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SubNat posted:

Yeah, people will just do more specific writeups of the comics they post when they post them over the first couple of pages, don't stress out about it, you don't need an extensive overview of everything in the thread.

You know I was feeling fine when I wrote that but I've had a tough day since then so I'm pushing the new thread to tomorrow morning and will just update the glossary as necessary over the next week or so. Happy New Year everybody.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Me too. Thank you for doing so! And keep well, everyone!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Happy new year, folks, I guess I've got time to get one more in:

Vater und Sohn: Good intentions (27/1936)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

drat, that's a fine northern pike.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Kevin & Kell is "the world's longest-running daily webcomic" by Bill Holbrook (who also does On The Fastrack and Safe Havens), who has been publishing it since 1995. (Technically it was Monday-Friday at first, but switched to a full-week format with big strips on Sunday a few years in.) It was also published as a syndicated strip in a few newspapers for a while.

It's set in a world similar to our own, but where all people are antrophomorphic animals, and follows the adventures of a blended family: Kevin the Rabbit and Kell the wolf; Kevin's adopted daughter from his previous marriage, Lindesfarne the english hedgehog; Kell's son from her previous marriage, Rudy the wolf (who is half-fox); and Kevin and Kell's daughter Coney, an omnivorous, predatory rabbit (owing to her wolf heritage). Along with a slew of other collateral characters. Seriously, it's been twenty-five years, it's basically a soap opera in comic strip form.

Notably, the world it's set in is absolutely horrifying if you put a bit of thought in it and make inferences based on what is shown. But I digress. You'll see for yourself.

Currently we're about ten years in, 2005, posting one week at a time; I also post the modern strips, one day at a time.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: eggs (March 21-27, 2005)

The Rabbit Council is the ruling body of rabbit society, who have basically power of decision on everything that involves rabbits. They can even unperson someone if they want, declaring them to be a non-rabbit, though that's only reserved for the most serious transgressions, like revealing rabbit secrets to predators: while they hate that Kevin's married to a wolf, that isn't enough to cause his ejection from the species.

This is the Rabbit Council's third appearance in the strip. They were first seen back in 2000, when Kevin ex-wife Angelique (a rabbit herself) revealed rabbit secrets to her new husband, R.L. the wolf; the rabbit council suspected Kevin was responsible, and were about to make him a non-rabbit, until the gang were able to prove otherwise. (As a result, Angelique was reclassified as a "long-eared rodent" -- a rat.) Then they were seen in 2001, when Kell infiltrated the rabbit warren to find Kevin's dad Bentley; they were about to sentence her to death, but Bentley conned them into letting her go.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Happy New Year, y'all.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 1, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Happy new year!

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
We’re not doing a new thread then? I thought it was one thread per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

We are. It's up now. Closing this one.