Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
After Harry Goz died, I remember reading that 70/30 wanted the show to end but the network mandated they continue, so they just threw in a bunch of random bullshit like Sharko. After the episode "I, Robot, Really", you can pretty much stop there. There's some good material later on, but the wind in the sails was really gone after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fabulousity posted:

Real chat: How did Ellis Henican end up on this show anyways?

Also Michael Goz is fantastic as Tornado Shanks but his dad Harry was a brilliantly shining high mass star that went nova as he was voicing Captain Murphy. How do you even follow that act?

Now punch it, hoe bag!

Every once and a while I still see someone say "wow Sealab just wasn't the same after they fired Captain Murphy and replaced him with that other guy. I wonder what happened there". Like Harry Goz died, you can't really do much about that.

At Grizzlebees!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjLrUdQrF7E

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

It's neat how Beck Bristow was a prototype for Xander Crews who was a prototype for Sterling Archer.

Even though Harry Goz died Captain Murphy didn't: He's off fighting in the Spice Wars for eternity.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fabulousity posted:

It's neat how Beck Bristow was a prototype for Xander Crews who was a prototype for Sterling Archer.

Even though Harry Goz died Captain Murphy didn't: He's off fighting in the Spice Wars for eternity.

(he also appears in Archer)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

(he also appears in Archer)

Yes, voiced by John Hamm and killed by a vending machine. Although there was no Ben to plant eggs in him.

Now let us drink until we can't see straight and have some revenge, as Alvis would want us to!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

After Harry Goz died, I remember reading that 70/30 wanted the show to end but the network mandated they continue, so they just threw in a bunch of random bullshit like Sharko. After the episode "I, Robot, Really", you can pretty much stop there. There's some good material later on, but the wind in the sails was really gone after that.

Isla de las Chupacabras was great but yeah, late Sealab is yikes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like when a show loses its main actor or most memorable character, just bump up the supporting cast to main, and then add a few new minor characters instead of a 1:1 replacement. That 70s Show and NewsRadio had the same problem. They could've made a funny arc out of someone like Stormy becoming the new captain instead of the much more capable Quinn. Though maybe that's more of a studio thing.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Ok help me out on That 70s Show thing: Who died or yeeted their career out the window? The white guy with the afro got outed as a sex pest way after the show was done so did I miss something else?

Are Topher Grace and Kurtwood Smith okay? :ohdear:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fabulousity posted:

Ok help me out on That 70s Show thing: Who died or yeeted their career out the window? The white guy with the afro got outed as a sex pest way after the show was done so did I miss something else?

Are Topher Grace and Kurtwood Smith okay? :ohdear:

The one I'm referring to was when Topher Grace left the show, they replaced him with a dud character nobody liked. Nothing nefarious there, it just sucked.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

The one I'm referring to was when Topher Grace left the show, they replaced him with a dud character nobody liked. Nothing nefarious there, it just sucked.

Whew. I've heard second hand that Kurtwood Smith is chill as gently caress despite having the biggest brass balls of any character actor if the production needs them on screen.

Anyways, sorry.

Under Martian law doctors and other wizards are forbidden!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are you saying Communism is bad?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Don't forget Sealab did the ocelot joke before Archer, too.

Fignuuuuuuts!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Who spilled chocolate chip juice on the controls?!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Who spilled chocolate chip juice on the controls?!

I love how bitchy the monster gets about Dolphin Boy's weight after he burns his finger.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

I love how bitchy the monster gets about Dolphin Boy's weight after he burns his finger.

The what?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For god sakes, Slamhound; stop saying "The what?" any time someone says "the monster"!!

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
with a hint of cinnamonnnn!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Uh ohhhhhh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Selling pot......holders.

Made of hemp.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Hey remember that time when Stormy blew up?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It’s uhh...good to be readiness?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason when thinking back on it I remember Sharko as a replacement for Marco being more of a thing but I guess not since it is literally two episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason when thinking back on it I remember Sharko as a replacement for Marco being more of a thing but I guess not since it is literally two episodes.

Marco dying was Brian Griffin dying before Brian Griffin died.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That was when Marco put his human penis in a shark's vagina, right?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I remember this. People complained because he was annoying, but everyone was already loudly complaining about Sealab nonstop after Harry Goz died and Adult Swim gave them more money to keep making episodes. There was nothing they could do that satisfied people as their actors were starting to leave, so at that point 70/30 was just like OK let's troll everyone. Sharko was a troll character and people went appropriately bananas about it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Screw pod six. They're jerks anyway.

*Sealab explodes*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest part about Marco "dying" is that he was missing for most of the season before they wrote him off. They just didn't address it. Then three episodes after his funeral he's back.

Something else that is strange is that Wikipedia and HBO Max disagree on what counts as a season. With Wikipedia saying there were 4 seasons and HBO Max listing 5.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished my rewatch and the final episode also states that it is just 4 seasons. So still not sure why HBO Max calls it 5.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Finished my rewatch and the final episode also states that it is just 4 seasons. So still not sure why HBO Max calls it 5.

It looks like HBO Max divides them based on the year it originally aired.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Aqua Teen had some weird disparities on what counted as seasons too. Season 1 was only episodes 1-9 when it first aired, and the second half of what is now considered season 1 was promoted by Adult Swim as season 2 because it aired about 7 months after the first block. Then all the episodes with titles starting with "Super" began season 3, which are now considered season 2, and Video Ouija started season 4, but is now considered season 3. I think the change might have come when the DVDs were released in volumes, but I distinctly remember them being labeled differently back then.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"I'm Bizarro Stormy!"

"I'm Regular Stormy!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You mean there's a... black Stormy?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's been forever since I watched the Predator episode, so I can't remember who said it (maybe Stormy?), but I find myself using the "GREAT idea! WE'LL look in the POOL!" line more than I ever thought I would. Usually when I'm trying to get out of helping with something.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You can't just call her black Debbie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

pile of brown posted:

You can't just call her black Debbie
Well, why don’t you call her Debbie and the other one white Debbie?