Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hey neat i can see my house from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

spankmeister posted:

hey neat i can see my house from there

too bad it didnt zoom out enough to capture your mom. :(

my sat rotor project is 80% done and now its just coupling everything together one day. then i can communicate through space.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Big Mackson posted:

too bad it didnt zoom out enough to capture your mom. :(

my sat rotor project is 80% done and now its just coupling everything together one day. then i can communicate through space.

I defo want us to try over an FM bird one day (all I can do, no linears)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

thehustler posted:

I defo want us to try over an FM bird one day (all I can do, no linears)

fm qso is an easy start, before trying to use falcon or mir sat or something idr.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Big Mackson posted:

fm qso is an easy start, before trying to use falcon or mir sat or something idr.

aye, I have lots under my belt and do it all the time, I just think we'll have a shot with footprints I guess

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
So, I spent the last week doing practice tests on Hamstudy.org for an hour or so a night. I took one of the online VE Exams over Zoom on Sunday and PASSED my General upgrade, 34/35. It cost $15 and was pretty darn easy to set up. All I had to do was go on Zoom with 3 VE's, pan my laptop over the room to show my test area was clean, and take the test on exam.tools while they watched me on cam. 30 minutes later and they emailed me my CSCE form as a PDF. I'm pumped! I'm probably going to upgrade to Extra soon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been back into listening a bit. Just keeping the FT1000MP hooked up and spinning the dial on 40/20/17 now and then.

https://i.imgur.com/f7kED62.mp4

Need to dust, i know

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Been back into listening a bit. Just keeping the FT1000MP hooked up and spinning the dial on 40/20/17 now and then.

https://i.imgur.com/f7kED62.mp4

Need to dust, i know

how’s the knobfeel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best, of course.

also that ring around the tuning knob is a spring loaded jog dial

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wanted to hop on some local 'peater nets but I lost the charger to my FT-60 :saddowns:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Couldn't sleep so im doing a couple raids while listening to 6am ragchews on 40 meters. Good stuff, nice rambling conversations rather than FIVE NINE, NEXT

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Christmas came a few days late. I bought an Icom IC-730 off of a seller in Japan for $180 shipped.
It arrived the day after Christmas in perfect Condition..

I've been having tons of fun Hunting POTA stations on 20 and 40M during the day, and rag-chewing with old dudes on 80 meters at night...

Also has anyone here here played around with RM-Noise? It's an AI filter for SSB and CW. It works insanely well here in my suburban QTH with insane noise levels.
https://ournetplace.com/rm-noise/

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 10, 2024

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Stack Machine posted:

If you're interested in similar transmitter designs that can do higher-fidelity audio, you can replace the second switch with a linear audio amplifier. I just threw this one together on a breadboard on my messy, messy lab bench and it seems to work well enough:

https://i.imgur.com/fNSbn4G.mp4

That chip on the breadboard is just that same model PIC loaded with the same code in a through-hole package. I'm just using is as an oscillator. You could probably put together something very compact with a PFET, an NFET, and a silicon oscillator IC and maybe run it off a 9V battery.

Also, the dimensions and construction of the antenna don't matter at all. It's a very inefficient antenna and the only way to make it efficient would be to make it enormous.

Now I have this transmitter as a board and it's just tiny, dwarfed by the antenna and the battery. I bought this clock radio at a thrift store just to play with it:

The range is terrible but if you put it near your radio you get decent quality (sound on).

https://i.imgur.com/d4lDfO7.mp4

The trim range is really too wide. It gets maybe half of the bottom half of the band at the cost of not being very precisely tunable at all, so I can't really tune it accurately enough to receive it on a radio with a digital tuner. I'm going to probably replace VR1 with like a 200 ohm trimmer. Next time I might just spring for a 1.6MHz crystal and a flip-flop so it can be toggled between exactly 1600kHz and 800kHz.

I have a strange desire to try stereo in the future despite the fact that AM stereo receivers are kind of rare.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
This is the kind of question I figure I'd find easily by searching this thread, but I haven't turned up anything. I'm just trying to dip a toe into this world: what's the best resource to teach myself what I need to know for the Technician exam? I went to Hamstudy.org, and everything I see is just questions and answers, practice tests, etc, but nothing that actually teaches the concepts. It feels like I'm failing some crucial test-before-the-test that I can't find some kind of beginner's guide somewhere that is inclusive of the Technician exam material.

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

TadBradley posted:

This is the kind of question I figure I'd find easily by searching this thread, but I haven't turned up anything. I'm just trying to dip a toe into this world: what's the best resource to teach myself what I need to know for the Technician exam? I went to Hamstudy.org, and everything I see is just questions and answers, practice tests, etc, but nothing that actually teaches the concepts. It feels like I'm failing some crucial test-before-the-test that I can't find some kind of beginner's guide somewhere that is inclusive of the Technician exam material.

https://home.arrl.org/action/Store/Product-Details/productId/2003373064 should be all you need. when i was studying for mine i bought the manual, sat down with it for a few weeks reading, and ended up passing with flying colors. what you do beyond that is entirely up to you

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Sorry. There was an excellent tutorial series on youtube by Dave Casler that walked you through all the concepts. Then by the time you got to the questions. you knew the answer’s because you knew the concepts and materials and not because you memorized the question pool.

anyway. this was all great and online for years and years. Now I see its only recently moved behind a paywall and fffffff. seems like the ARRL’s doing.

which is a huge shame. the reason you’re not finding much is because this was a path that thousands of newbies took but now all of a sudden its paywalled.

I’ll post it here just because. Dave is good and the material was excellent. but i am less enthused that the arrl seems to have moved in and made what was otherwise a great thing their own brand now.

https://youtu.be/vK-OnmOr-1c?si=QcZyFifIJ5e0JMyt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/2022-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v2-20230204.pdf

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

This is excellent and appears to be free, thank you so much!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kb6nu is a good dude and his training stuff is top notch, yeah.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
When I was in 1st or 2nd grade I read a book about Ham Radio from like 1950.

It said hams call all men "old man" and all women "young lady". I never heard this exchange on my scanner in the 90s. Do people still do this at all? Have any of you ever even once came across it in your decades of hamming?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's not a thing on VHF/UHF repeater stuff, but yeah OM and YL are still in use today on HF quite a bit. Lot of older ladyhams don't mind it. popular womens' net called the YL Net runs to this day etc.

Also, they're YLs if they're unmarried. One's wife is an XYL.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

It's not a thing on VHF/UHF repeater stuff, but yeah OM and YL are still in use today on HF quite a bit. Lot of older ladyhams don't mind it. popular womens' net called the YL Net runs to this day etc.

Also, they're YLs if they're unmarried. One's wife is an XYL.

...extra young lady?

didn't know a ring gave you shirt size powers in the ham space

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ex-young lady

But you never call another ham's wife an XYL

them's fightin' words

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i was going to borrow rotators from someone but all 3 rotators (+ one that was probably broken) he had left over didnt work. turns out controller box was electrically faulty ouch. :|
luckily he didnt use his newest modern rotators on that box or else it would be no rotators for both of us.
Sat project is on hold i guess until i can buy it somewhat cheap on the used market. or maybe replace bad parts if i manage to learn how to do it.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 9, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Let me look in the junk shed this week

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Jonny 290 posted:

Let me look in the junk shed this week

There is an XYL joke here that I'm not cool enough to come up with.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i got an offer to buy complete azi-el (some sort of ancient word or something) rotator from someone in local radio club.

sats sats sats sats sats sats
sats sats sats sats sats
sats sats sats sats sats
Everybody

edit: a lot of things included so the offer, it is very good. I even got "pay as you can afford it over time" as well.

*Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose*

Radio amateurs, i love you guys. *wipes tears*

*bullet*

THE END. NO MORAL.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i demand details once you get the pile

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i demand details once you get the pile

+ an 7-8 meter glassfiber(?) mast thing. The PC interface is an LVB tracker 1.2. The rotator feels very new, little use.

577$ total.

edit: g-5500 new in norway costs 963$.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

you robbed that ham

very nice

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

you robbed that ham

very nice

that very same ham that lost three (four technically but we presumed it was broken anyway) rotators to electrically faulty control box. when i borrowed them and put them together to test them the motor just said tk tk tk tk tk. Me and him checked everything. pins, cable etc. Then he used a multimeter on control box. electricity. it is sometimes bad. :/

edit: I have soldered plug on and put it all together. I just need a boom through the elevation rotator and clamps for the antennas then i can try to put it on long mast and wrangle it upwards.

edit2: at least they will be easy to repair, motor replacement only.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 9, 2024

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
My brother’s been starting to show some interest in ham radio, which has gotten me riled up about it again. I finally got on the local UHF repeater for the first time, and will have to look into renewing my license since it expires in 6 months.

Also listened to some HF broadcasts (I’m assuming) last night and I guess Bohemian Grove is still a pretty hot topic :mason:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i am putting together things for sat and rotator and i was looking at using an LNA since ic-910h is quite deaf compared to using sdrplay rsp1a. I was prepared to make a complicated setup with several feed lines etc but then i discovered that ic-910h sends 12-13v directly if you turn on the preamp setting to on. just gotta get an lna that can be direct fed 12v and that it have sufficient isolation. https://www.sv1afn.com looks promising atm.