Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So my fiance is electronic poison and I think did something to her laptop, likely windex when cleaning it, and it started to run extremely slow. I had tried doing a Big Sur update seeing if maybe that was the problem and ended up just kinda stuck mid-install. Turned it off, I can get back to the login screen but it's extremely slow and just stuck in loading cycle where I can enter the password and a progress bar just comes up for a bit, then resets into a black screen with another progress bar, and just keeps boot-cycling this way. I ran diagnostics and it gave an SMC Error (PMF 006) and Power Management Error (PPN 001) and a Webcam error. Have done SMC / PRAM resets as well. It's even extremely slow trying to get to Factory Reset menu.

I thought maybe it was water damage to the trackpad or keyboard and so I tried replacing the trackpad because that's the lowest hanging fruit and I had read a few people for whom that fixed it, nada. I tried running it without the trackpad/keyboard connector in and didn't seem to help but it was really hard to control without that and couldn't get to the Factory Reset menu anyways because I had to use an external keyboard and for some reason an external mouse would only let it move side-side and not up-down.

I had disassembled it mostly completely and didn't see any visible signs of corrosion anywhere. The only thing I didn't take apart was the keyboard or the LCD screen yet but I took out the Logic Board and it looked okay. I don't really want to spend a lot of money replacing a part to find that it's not that part that's the problem.

At this point, I can try to get an A1708 assembly with a used keyboard / screen and keep the existing logic board, or I can try to buy used logic board. The weird thing is the webcam also has an error which kinda makes me think it may be a screen connector problem that's loving something up? Does anyone have any advice on best way to track down where the problem could be? It's just throwing me in for a loop because it does turn on, and mouse-keyboard even work, but it's so slow it can't even be used or really do anything in reset menu.

For how popular mac products are, it's really hard to find any information on board schematic and replacing stuff. I would think just shear volume would have more out there but welp.

e: Not that anyone cares, but I fixed it by replacing the screen assembly with a cheap alibaba one. Go loving figure and gently caress macs jesus christ.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU