Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the movie the wwitch is pretty sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's got the big eyed lady from queen's gambit in it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

one of the interesting things to me about witchcraft is how gendered it is. at least in the Americas and Europe it seems like it's highly associated with women, but that may just be due to Christian cultural flattening and genocide. it seems appropriate to say that the shamanistic beliefs would also be considered witchcraft, much the same as many of the other pagan beliefs and systems were. still, it would be weird to say that shamans are witches.

anyway, i dunno if witchy-ness is only due to bourgeoisie affectation because, honestly, what other actually powerful and independent women do girls and women have to look up to, historically? there's a few figures, and they are sometimes revolutionary and sometimes not, but witches are somewhat unique in that they don't rely on anyone else for their power. they are powerful in and of themselves and it takes dedication and skill to learn the craft. i think the cultural flattening that comes with witchcraft today is a shame, as there's a lot of history behind some of the rituals but they've been misrepresented and purposely persecuted. it means all we have to go off of when someone says "witchcraft" is what we've seen in movies or heard a friend of a friend of a friend say.

the whole kerfuffle over Marina Abramovic and spirit cooking comes to mind here, as many heard something from somewhere or watched a lovely video from 1997 with her writing random poo poo on a wall with pigs blood. that conjures up the popular conception of what we think witchcraft is, but in reality blood is a pretty taboo substance in many belief systems. you don't use it for anything, and curses aren't really enough to base a belief system on. besides, Abramovic's spirit cooking is a literal made up phrase and the cookbook is pretty much just a shitpost that she got paid for. you can see the entire book at the new york museum of modern art website, but there's a few parts that made people get all :catstare: and it was:

and

but conveniently, they never consider the one where recipe where she recommends you become a loving Pokemon:

or the "recipe" that's just two words on a page:

even neglecting the obviously silly ones, the initial ones don't make any loving sense either. they certainly don't make sense as part of a ritualistic, and therefore strict and codified, practice. what the gently caress is an "earthquake night"? how do you milk a sperm? the only one that's marginally worrisome is the one about self-harm, but that's only because that's a problem we know exists. the entire thing is just a shitpost that she made money on. a poster's dream. oddly enough, nobody thought Milo Yiannopoulos's pig blood bath stunt was witchcraft, just loving stupid and attention seeking. here though, it tapped into popular suspicions of women being witches and grew into something much larger.

There is actual blood ritual and belief systems based around it but the the perception of it as it is now is also a bit uncharitable for obvious reasons. The central underpinning of the aztec flower war style sacrifice was that with royal bloodletting and heart sacrifice of war captives the victim was rejoining their energy with the sun, improving quality of life for everybody. It's interesting to me and I learned a lot about it ages ago.

The priesthood were of course wiped out by the Christian priesthood the conquistadors brought with them but theres a lot of parallels to their kind of blood worship and christian rite and tradition in terms of repaying a sacrifice of life the gods gave to us.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nice meltdown thread

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

just lol if you don't drink Christ's literal blood at least every weekend

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

god drat what I wouldn't give to have absolute fuckin sicko freaks like the podesta brothers throw gigantic sacks of money at me for making GBS threads out this sort of stream of consciousness drivel on an old timey typewriter and getting it posted up at the moma or whatever. absolutely incredible grift.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

god drat what I wouldn't give to have absolute fuckin sicko freaks like the podesta brothers throw gigantic sacks of money at me for making GBS threads out this sort of stream of consciousness drivel on an old timey typewriter and getting it posted up at the moma or whatever. absolutely incredible grift.

Yeah the fine arts world is basically an exclusive club now (arguably always has been) and the best way to make it as an artist is to either be related to someone with connections or hook up with someone with connections. Your level of actual skill and talent is maybe 10% of the total, and that 10% is getting the interest of someone with connections if you don't already have them

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah the fine arts world is basically an exclusive club now (arguably always has been) and the best way to make it as an artist is to either be related to someone with connections or hook up with someone with connections. Your level of actual skill and talent is maybe 10% of the total, and that 10% is getting the interest of someone with connections if you don't already have them

Yeah its very focused on auction houses and dealers and your relationship with both. Satchii has made a killing uplifting new talent like damien hirst and getting exclusive first pick contracts to store in a warehouse until its time to profit.

The 12 Million Dollar Stuffed Shark is an interesting book although I don't recommend it if you want to make art your career cause even without an eye towards that level of fame its pretty depressing.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Kit Walker posted:

fine arts is part of money laundering on a scale never before seen in art history

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

also it's always good to remember the CIA basically created the modern art ecosystem as part of their propaganda war against the Soviets. It is and always has been worthless imperial capitalist bullshit.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Sharkopath posted:

There is actual blood ritual and belief systems based around it but the the perception of it as it is now is also a bit uncharitable for obvious reasons. The central underpinning of the aztec flower war style sacrifice was that with royal bloodletting and heart sacrifice of war captives the victim was rejoining their energy with the sun, improving quality of life for everybody. It's interesting to me and I learned a lot about it ages ago.

The priesthood were of course wiped out by the Christian priesthood the conquistadors brought with them but theres a lot of parallels to their kind of blood worship and christian rite and tradition in terms of repaying a sacrifice of life the gods gave to us.

i'm not sure how much we can draw from that, tbh, since the Aztecs were basically a post-apocalyptic civilization that suffered from civilization ending plagues, famine, and civil war. the conquistadors were as successful as they were because they arrived while the Aztecs -- and other indigenous societies -- were barely hanging on. in that context human sacrifice makes some sense because they were so desperate, but i don't really believe that human sacrifice -- unless it was a war captive and even then i'm still somewhat skeptical -- was a central part of their non-crisis belief system. that's an internal bias of mine, tho, because frankly human sacrifices are extremely goddamn wasteful. a cow or pig or whatever, sure, but a human? lotta stuff that human could be doing instead of bleeding out on top of a pyramid. the popular conception of Aztecs is that they just chopped people open willy nilly with no thought to the greater logistical issues that causes (thanks Mel Gibson, you loving racist hack) which seems awfully convenient for the conquistadors.

there's some parallels with the christian and jewish blood rituals, but there's a bit of historical context there that we don't have with the Aztecs since the conqies destroyed their history. judaism is an outgrowth of a polytheistic religion with a specific god winning out and eventually becoming the only god, so there's all kinds of rumors and poo poo about the other contenders. some, like the baby sacrifices to moloch, read a bit like exaggeration to me. part of that is because moloch is essentially the ancient hebrew way of mocking someone's god, basically the spongebob meme of the god's proper name. the other part is that judaism still demands human/blood sacrifices, but just the tip, in order to continuously solidify the pact with god. pretty good deal compared to the baby/child sacrifice that moloch was said to have demanded or what yahweh apparently asked of Abraham at first. christians, of course, have the weird as hell "blood of christ" thing and the eucharist, as well as a bunch of them performing circumcision despite it being unnecessary for their deal. the self-flagellation rituals of some christian sects and Shia islam are also blood sacrifices, but in terms of enduring pain and suffering as proof of devotion. devotion ain't useful if you're dead.

now though, people don't react to those as blood rituals, even tho they are, and don't associate them with witchcraft. they are too embedded in the cultural practices of our day so even if someone thinks they're hosed up and weird (self-flagellation is controversial to say the least), they aren't seen as spiritually heinous in the same way witchery is. to some degree this may be due to sexist belief systems -- these religions are all extremely patriarchal -- , but overall i think it's just because they are familiar to us.

yeah podesta's brother paid $10k through kickstarter to have a dinner with her. fun fact, tho, one of the other $10k tier rewards was this:

amazing grift.

the kickstarter page is even still up, so you can see what she was selling.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

also it's always good to remember the CIA basically created the modern art ecosystem as part of their propaganda war against the Soviets. It is and always has been worthless imperial capitalist bullshit.

this is always the dumbest take and ignores early soviet art

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
lissitkzy and malevich ftw

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the CIA obviously didn't create all nonrepresentational or experimental forms of art but they did absolutely fund and develop, like I said, the modern art ecosystem. In America, which doesn't really matter because after the cold war it exists exclusively as a vehicle for the world's ultrawealthy to launder their money, like Marzzle said

e: in rereading my post I guess I should make clear that I don't mean it to be read as saying like "only soviet realism counts as Real Art", or whatever

Pentecoastal Elites has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Jan 6, 2021

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

the CIA obviously didn't create all nonrepresentational or experimental forms of art but they did absolutely fund and develop, like I said, the modern art ecosystem. In America, which doesn't really matter because after the cold war it exists exclusively as a vehicle for the world's ultrawealthy to launder their money, like Marzzle said

yeah there's a book about this that i've been meaning to read called Think Tank Aesthetics.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

those dots connect to budd hopkins and his less artistic workings on the world

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah there's a book about this that i've been meaning to read called Think Tank Aesthetics.

this looks dope from what I just read and im going to get it. where did you hear about it?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

gay_crimes posted:

this looks dope from what I just read and im going to get it. where did you hear about it?

the epstein thread lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

oh poo poo i guess i should read all cspam threads always and all day

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Admiral Ray posted:

i'm not sure how much we can draw from that, tbh, since the Aztecs were basically a post-apocalyptic civilization that suffered from civilization ending plagues, famine, and civil war. the conquistadors were as successful as they were because they arrived while the Aztecs -- and other indigenous societies -- were barely hanging on. in that context human sacrifice makes some sense because they were so desperate, but i don't really believe that human sacrifice -- unless it was a war captive and even then i'm still somewhat skeptical -- was a central part of their non-crisis belief system. that's an internal bias of mine, tho, because frankly human sacrifices are extremely goddamn wasteful. a cow or pig or whatever, sure, but a human? lotta stuff that human could be doing instead of bleeding out on top of a pyramid. the popular conception of Aztecs is that they just chopped people open willy nilly with no thought to the greater logistical issues that causes (thanks Mel Gibson, you loving racist hack) which seems awfully convenient for the conquistadors.

there's some parallels with the christian and jewish blood rituals, but there's a bit of historical context there that we don't have with the Aztecs since the conqies destroyed their history. judaism is an outgrowth of a polytheistic religion with a specific god winning out and eventually becoming the only god, so there's all kinds of rumors and poo poo about the other contenders. some, like the baby sacrifices to moloch, read a bit like exaggeration to me. part of that is because moloch is essentially the ancient hebrew way of mocking someone's god, basically the spongebob meme of the god's proper name. the other part is that judaism still demands human/blood sacrifices, but just the tip, in order to continuously solidify the pact with god. pretty good deal compared to the baby/child sacrifice that moloch was said to have demanded or what yahweh apparently asked of Abraham at first. christians, of course, have the weird as hell "blood of christ" thing and the eucharist, as well as a bunch of them performing circumcision despite it being unnecessary for their deal. the self-flagellation rituals of some christian sects and Shia islam are also blood sacrifices, but in terms of enduring pain and suffering as proof of devotion. devotion ain't useful if you're dead.

now though, people don't react to those as blood rituals, even tho they are, and don't associate them with witchcraft. they are too embedded in the cultural practices of our day so even if someone thinks they're hosed up and weird (self-flagellation is controversial to say the least), they aren't seen as spiritually heinous in the same way witchery is. to some degree this may be due to sexist belief systems -- these religions are all extremely patriarchal -- , but overall i think it's just because they are familiar to us.

yeah podesta's brother paid $10k through kickstarter to have a dinner with her. fun fact, tho, one of the other $10k tier rewards was this:

amazing grift.

I thought I read somewhere that the other civilizations were more than willing to assist the conquistadores when they first arrived in no small part because everyone was so fed up with the Aztec's poo poo. Or did I make that up?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

christmas boots posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the other civilizations were more than willing to assist the conquistadores when they first arrived in no small part because everyone was so fed up with the Aztec's poo poo. Or did I make that up?

Nah u right. cortes did leverage internal conflicts as well to stop from getting massacred. i also got it mixed up, i had thought the timeline went smallpox -> cortes -> civil war but it was cortes -> stoking civil war -> small pox -> more civil war.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

e: in rereading my post I guess I should make clear that I don't mean it to be read as saying like "only soviet realism counts as Real Art", or whatever

amerikan abstract expressionism is not 'the modern art ecosystem'

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

amazing grift.

That seems like a really poor and pop-history revisionist reading of Aztec culture to me since they were a powerful empire that existed for a long time and codified the flower wars over generations. The amount and nature of the sacrifice is misunderstood in popular understanding but we have records of its existence and importance to both aztec culture and the earlier, bordering mayan culture.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Admiral Ray posted:

the epstein thread lol

did not know "think tank aesthetics" touched on stuff like this I assumed it was just something along the lines of "programmed to kill"

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

it ain't easy distilling book recs from the epstien thread

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

gay_crimes posted:

oh poo poo i guess i should read all cspam threads always and all day

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

my offbrand pop tart had frosting stigmata this morning. have i been breakfast hexed?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1347002063847243776?s=20

US democracy is witchcraft

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

That seems like a really poor and pop-history revisionist reading of Aztec culture to me since they were a powerful empire that existed for a long time and codified the flower wars over generations. The amount and nature of the sacrifice is misunderstood in popular understanding but we have records of its existence and importance to both aztec culture and the earlier, bordering mayan culture.

i have not take a course on it so you are likely very correct in your estimation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

obviously, that's why there's no documented evidence of it working lmfao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Truga posted:

obviously, that's why there's no documented evidence of it working lmfao

This is a frankly absurd claim. The US Gov't works extremely well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
please, he said democracy not govt :v:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
carry on then :v:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
your body is a democracy

Adbot