Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

anatomi posted:

In news that should surprise no-one, Shadow are undergoing restructuring and are trying to find a buyer.

https://shadow.tech/blog/news/a-new-beginning-in-sight-for-shadow

Upgraded tiers are on hold, but as I understand it Boost accounts should roll out as usual.

Anybody's guess what's gonna happen long-term. But I doubt the new owners want a business that haemorrhages money.

Aw, poo poo. I should have taken my own advice and bought a year's worth. I'm month to month and they could shut down my unprofitable account any time they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
There's also Plex Gaming.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/01/plex-adds-game-streaming-as-paid-add-on-completely-botches-the-landing/

Seems to not be so good though...

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Apparently the alpha version of the Shadow Launcher supports multiple screens. poo poo's good!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I canceled my shadow subscription.

I don’t think that company is gonna be around long. They will probably limp along for a while but it ain’t lookin good.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, probably not. It's a shame, because the tech is pretty drat good.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Shadow have been bought by some French billionaire and they're making a lot of changes.

Two of the biggest news: 1) They're downgrading Ultra and Infinite accounts to base Boost hardware. Boost is the only tier available now.

2) The only subscription model going forward is month-to-month. The precious price has doubled to $30/€30 per month. Doesn't matter if you previously had a yearly contract — everyone is getting downgraded and hit with the new pricing.

I'm cancelling my subscription. I've been very happy with the service, but €30/month for the now ancient Boost tier hardware isn't a particularly good deal. I'd rather put that money towards buying a PC and using Parsec/Rainway/whatever.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

anatomi posted:

Shadow have been bought by some French billionaire and they're making a lot of changes.

Two of the biggest news: 1) They're downgrading Ultra and Infinite accounts to base Boost hardware. Boost is the only tier available now.

2) The only subscription model going forward is month-to-month. The precious price has doubled to $30/€30 per month. Doesn't matter if you previously had a yearly contract — everyone is getting downgraded and hit with the new pricing.

I'm cancelling my subscription. I've been very happy with the service, but €30/month for the now ancient Boost tier hardware isn't a particularly good deal. I'd rather put that money towards buying a PC and using Parsec/Rainway/whatever.

Thanks for the news. I'm... pretty surprised they would screw the customers who bought into a contract. Whether they CAN do that is up to whether somebody wants a lawyer-fight over it. I'm gonna hold on to it for now. I'd rather quit after the crash than before.