Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Absolutely fantastic writeup Mrenda. Your love of the game is dripping off this post.

I'm not always in the mood for Farm Sim, but when I find myself in that mood it fills a very special place in my gaming lineup.

And FishMcCool is dead right, I haven't watched the competitive farming league but everyone says it's an absolute blast.

Similarly, I could have written another half of that post on multiplayer shenanigans instead of mentioning it off-hand. It can be tough on the person managing the whole thing (as any actual management is) but it's absolutely hilarious to play as a group, especially on dedicated servers.

The simple joy of one friend having a particular love for his "little yellow submarine" (a small, old, yellow forklift) and everyone working to put it on a top of shed then waiting for him to log in and look for it, then get it down, is absolutely worth the server rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just bought Farming Simulator

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm happy to see this thread back, I didn't think it would survive getting unstickied.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cannot think about Farming Simulator without rewatching this (and, today, cringing at certain parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

I just bought Farming Simulator

The tutorials on the official site are actually decent now. And as a bonus they're in quick, easy to read text instead of a thirty minute video that should take five minutes as is the way of what the youtubers put out. https://farming-simulator.com/newsArticle.php?lang=en&country=us&news_id=280

Starting on easy mode on a map, where they give you a farm and equipment isn't necessarily the easiest way to start, but it is if you don't know what equipment you want. It sorts you out with most of what you need for the land you have, then you can expand. The middle option just gives you some money lets you buy everything peacefully, albeit with less total value than the easiest mode, just more precision in what you specifically want. The hardest option (rightmost) starts you out with some money and debt that you have to pay off. Sometimes, because of this, leasing equipment you don't need very often is the right thing to do, returning it when you're finished, until you're ready to buy the exact piece of machinery you want.

There's lots of videos to watch. The Farm Sim community is absoluvely massive with everything from Let's Plays to mod guides, map guides and gameplay guides. Just find someone you like, and explains things as you like, to look stuff up after you read the website tutorials. I'd recommend MrSealyP as an adult who just genuinely enjoys the game (and he plays on PS5.) I don't know about his guides but his Western Wilds Let's Play has him going nuts with mods, and workers, and generally making an insane farm that too many nerds complained about as "too easy." (It was actually just a hilariously massive and modded farm, that he put hundreds of hours into, because he might as well be an earnest goon.) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYWjATvxZ40TPlIx0uXjFnkJsPVw1RDsP

My recommendation would be to figure out what you need to do straight away on your farm. There's usually a crop to be harvested (I'm guessing you're playing with "Seasons" turned on.) So do that. Get to know your farm and equipment. Then, very definitely much so, do contracts. They'll tell you what to do, and if you press the right button before you accept the contract you can accept the contract and also borrow the equipment you need to do it (you'll always make money if do it this way, so don't worry about that.) Contracts are a great way of trying out new equipment to find what you like, and trying out different aspects of farming. The downside is that you're not increasing the productivity of your farm, but the upside of figuring out gameplay (and some cash) is very much worth it, especially at the beginning.

Finally, remember there's no correct way to play Farm Sim. There's a huge amount of "difficulty" options you can turn on or off. They technically are "difficulty" options, but for instance I don't like playing with crop destruction turned on because I drive like a drunkard (typically because I'm drinking) and don't want the hassle of precise movement between my fields. Play in the exact way you want to play. The developers have repeatedly said they're not going to introduce new mechanics unless they're optional, and approached this version of the game with that in mind, because they want everyone, of every age, inclination and ability, to be able to play the game how they want to.

And I just want to say I am absolutely tickled pink that someone went out and bought the game after I did an effortpost on it. Thank you! :D

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mrenda posted:

And I just want to say I am absolutely tickled pink that someone went out and bought the game after I did an effortpost on it. Thank you! :D

Oh, more than one someone…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A long overdue update for the OP!

A Fisherman's Tale by The 7th Guest
A Hat in Time by Zybourne Clock
Age of Empires 2 by TheMostFrench
Alpha Protocol by theshim
Alien Isolation by VinylonUnderground
Anachranox by Whybird
Analogue: A Hate Story by Reveilled
Another World by VinylonUnderground
Aquanox (video) by Sardonik
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Batman: Arkham Asylum by thrilla in vanilla
Black Magic by fridge corn
Blades of Exile by Whybird
Bloodborne by FrozenGoldfishGod
Burnout 3: Takedown by thrilla in vanilla
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger by Zenithe
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Civilization by Lampsacus
Civilization 4 by Erwin the German
Commander Blood by Lid
Crash Bandicoot 4 by Violen
Crusader Kings II by VinylonUnderground
Cyberpunk 2077 by Erwin the German
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Cloud 2 (Spheda) by Senerio
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic by Jeza
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls by VideoGames
Dark Souls 2 by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls 2 by VideoGames
Dark Souls 3 by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls 3 by VideoGames
Dark Queen of Krynn by Glare Seethe
Death Stranding('s truck) by FiveSixKilo
DEFCON by Sardonik
Deus Ex by Erwin the German
Diablo 2 by TheMostFrench
Disco Elysium by Erwin the German
Doom (1993) by CyberPingu
Dragon Quest XI by quiggy
Duke Nukem 3D by Heavy Metal
Earthbound by Clockwerk
Earth Defense Force by Shine
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall by Thothanon
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind by Erwin the German
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind by VinylonUnderground
Enderal (Skyrim Total Conversion) by Ice Phisherman
Fallout 2 by VinylonUnderground
Fallout: New Vegas by Erwin the German
Farming Simulator 22 & Follow Up Post by Mrenda
Farming Simulator 22 by FishMcCool
Faster Than Light by VinylonUnderground
Fifth Eskadra by Madurai
Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment by Skios
Final Fantasy 4 by Spuzzz
Final Fantasy 7 by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 11 by star eater
Final Fantasy 11 by punk rebel ecks
Final Fantasy 14 (short) by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 14 (expanded) by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 14 Part 1 & Part 2 by Heran Bago
Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker by Runa
Fire Pro Wrestling World by Maxwell Lord
Freespace/Freespace 2 by theshim
Freespace 2 by MikeC
Frontier: Elite 2 by GazChap
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy by Reveilled
Guilty Gear Strive by Jinh
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Half Life (mods) by TheMostFrench
Half Life 2 by Erwin the German
Hidden & Dangerous 2 by Budzilla
Hitman: Contracts by Erwin the German
Hollow Knight by The Zombie Guy
Homeworld by dead gay comedy forums
Homeworld: Cataclysm by TheMostFrench
Horizon Zero Dawn by sean10mm
Hunt: Showdown by Erwin The German
Hyper Light Drifter by Muscle Tracer
IL-2: 1946 by Shine
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy by Erwin the German
Kenshi by punk rebel ecks
Kenshi by Ice Phisherman
Kenshi (mods) by punk rebel ecks
Kentucky Route Zero by Mode 7
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
Killer 7 by Incoherence
King of Dragon Pass by Fly Ricky
King of Fighters 99: Evolution by Heavy Metal
Kirby Mass Attack by Regy Rusty
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords by Erwin the German
Knytt Underground by Glare Seethe
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver by Rarity
Legend of Grimrock 2 by Polo-Rican
Legend of Zelda by Mr. Pickles
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask by Erwin the German
Legend of Zela: Majora's Mask by star eater
Legend of Zelda 3: A Link to the Past (randomizer) by Konstantin
Legend of Zelda 3/Super Metroid romhack by Feldegast42
Life is Strange by exquisite tea
Life is Strange by parkingtigers
LISA the Painful RPG by Mizuti
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals by Captain Invictus
Mafia by Erwin the German
Marathon by DAD LOST MY IPOD
Marathon 2: Durandal / Marathon: Rubicon by Glare Seethe
Marathon Infinity by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Master of Orion 2 by VinylonUnderground
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne by Erwin the German
Mayhem Triple by Sorting Algorithms
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Metal Gear Solid by TheHoosier
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes by Heavy Metal
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater by Erwin the German
Metroid Prime by Erwin the German
Mirror's Edge Catalyst by BeanpolePeckerwood
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate by quiggy
Monster Hunter World by Shine
Mordhau by Gnarly Sheen
Myth 2: Soulblighter by Pain of Mind
Myth: The Fallen Lords by dead gay comedy forums
Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition by Erwin the German
Nier: Automata by Erwin the German
Night in the Woods by VinylonUnderground
Night Stalker by Shine
Occupy White Walls by Swedish Thaumocracy
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen by The Zombie Guy
Ori and the Will-of-the-Wisps by Canine Blues Arooo
Ori and the Will-of-the-Wisps by Lechtansi
Out of the Park Baseball by F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Out of the Park Baseball by Arms_Akimbo
Path of Exile by theshim
Pathologic 2 by Mizuti
Pathologic 2 by Vookatos
Perfect Dark by star eater
Perimeter by Sardonik
Phantasy Star IV by VinylonUnderground
Pirates Gold! by VinylonUnderground
Planetside by Captain Invictus
Prey by VinylonUnderground
Prey by Erwin the German
Project Zomboid by loving Moron
Project Zomboid by Ice Phisherman
Psychonauts by Jeza
Psychonauts by Sab Sabbington
Punch Out!! by Shine
Quake II by imperiusdamian
Rain World by f#a#
Ratchet & Clank - Up Your Arsenal by Shine
Remember Me by Parkingtigers
Resident Evil by BiggerBoat
Resident Evil REmake by Electromax
Resident Evil 4 by Erwin the German
River City Ransom by Zerilan
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves by Shine
Rocket League by Shine
Rocky's Boots by fridge corn
Romancing SaGa by 5-Headed Snake God
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Saints Row 2 by Skios
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin by Xarbala
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by Saint Freak
Severance: Blade of Darkness by Mr. Pickles
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri by dead gay comedy forums
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor by punk rebel ecks
Snoopy Silly Sports Spectacular by Shine
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 by VinylonUnderground
Soul Sacrifice by free hubcaps
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl by Erwin the German
Star Wars: Racer by Mr. Pickles
Star Wars: Squadrons by morallyobjected
Stickybear Basket Bounce by fridge corn
Streets of Rage 4 by Capital Letdown
Suikoden II by AuroMarshmallow
Suikoden II by Ms Adequate
Super Hexagon by Glare Seethe
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Mario 64 by Heavy Metal
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Tales of Mal'Eyal by Konstantin
Teardown by Drinkslinger
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
The Hunter: Call of the Wild by Zaphod42
The Longest Journey by Erwin the German
The Stanley Parable by dead gay comedy forums
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart by Sorting Algorithms
The World Ends With You by theshim
TIE Fighter by Shine
Thief: The Dark Project by Mr. Pickles
The Dark Mod by Erwin the German
Tomb Raider Anniversary by Heavy Metal
Tomb Raider Anniversary by VideoGames
Total Annihilation by TheMostFrench
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine
Traffic Department 2197 by Skios
Transistor by Sardonik
Tropico by VinylonUnderground
Undertale by Erwin the German
Unreal Tournament by Shine
Unreal Tournament 2004 by dead gay comedy forums
Vagrant Story by Party Boat
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines by Erwin the German
Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$ by GoutPatrol
Winter Games by fridge corn
Wizardry 8 by Chairchucker
World of Warcraft by GreatGreen
World of Warcraft by Ms Adequate
World of Warcraft by Pikestaff
XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Shine

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Glad to see this is back!

*checks list*

Ugh, I should probably do something for Mount & Blade but inspiration isn't flowing right now. Leaving this here either as a reminder to myself or an encouragement to others if my slow butt can't get a detailed writeup posted in the near future.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Pathologic 2
There's a weird tendency to describe Pathologic 2 as "game that's not supposed to be fun", and I resent that. The original game was that. With no good quest log, barely anything to do, it's a shallow experience that's saved by the story.

Great write-up for a great game but definitely wanted to echo this.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
La-Mulana

La-Mulana is an experience like no other.
If you've grown up with games from the 80s, you are familiar with titles like Zelda 2 and Castlevania 2 - needlessly obtuse weird RPGs that feature great exploration among some really horrendous puzzles.
If you wish for a game that does those things well, look no further than La-Mulana.
La-Mulana, aside from being fun to say, is a side-scrolling Metroidvania where you descend into the ruins and search for treasure.

The big thing that sets this game apart are countless stones you come across with hints for progression written on them. They replace various NPCs from aforementioned games that would give you cryptic hints. For example, the first location presents you with some simple stuff, like saying that a courageous man will prevail. Nearby are a spike pit with an unreachable chest. Simple enough, jump onto the spikes, they disappear. Not even worthy enough to spoiler-tag this.

The game grows in scope and complexity very shortly, so if you're not the type to read, think and write, this isn't the game for you. There are no simple puzzle rooms. A hint for a puzzle can be found halfway across the world, and some of them are loving Insane. However, that's the charm of this game. It's not shy about its inspirations and isn't afraid of being a dick. Platforming and battle difficulty is quite high, but puzzles are what make it an unforgettable experience. It's one of the few games that actually feel like you're going through an old temple filled with traps, and not just trekking through a bunch of video game levels.

The game will throw everything it has at you, from non-euclidean spaces, hidden doors, and puzzle bosses, to hidden background details that you need to notice. It's filled with surprises. Every boss is so different that some of them feel like playing an entirely different game. Every location has its own gimmicks and an incredible soundtracks. Every single puzzle is memorable.

It's a Metroidvania that keeps surprising you in ways you didn't think were possible. It's not just a game about obtaining double jump to go above a pit, it's a game where getting some items will result in confusion, until suddenly, you remember reading something about using that one thing in front of that one statue. And there are barely ANY games that do that. Too many of them are afraid of you being stuck, while La-Mulana prides itself on it. Just that simple thing made me feel like I was overcoming something unique, and not just going through the motions of solving a Portal Chamber or a Zelda dungeon room.

Unfortunately, sometimes it might be a bit TOO ridiculous. However, I would still recommend experiencing it because there's nothing like it.

Here's a spoiler of a puzzle that gave me hell my first time through as an appetizer: "Simply wandering will not lessen the illusion. Courage will grant thy wish--the courage to jump into the illusion. The courage to search on bended knee for a single fallen item."
So, what the hell is this?
Well, mercifully nearby, there are a bunch of vases you can break. Your usual Zelda-like pots that are all over the place in the game. One of them drops a shuriken. Not uncommon, it's your first sub-weapon, enemies often drop them to replenish your ammo. However, the game usually drops them in fives, and there's ONE there. Not that difficult when spelled out, but when you've been programmed to not care what comes out of the vases, it just doesn't register.
Furthermore, if you haven't played the game, you're thinking, "oh, and then you duck?". Well, no. The game has no "duck" button, as down does something else. HOWEVER, just to gently caress with you, down actually works on that single tile, and it drops you through the floor! Like, yeah, it's kinda bullshit, but it's also unforgettable!

Honestly, the closest video game experience that gave me this sort of rush when solving a puzzle was Outer Wilds, and personally, I'd say La-Mulana is better.
Frankly, I could gush about this game for hours, and I'm not sure how to stop this recommendation before spoiling anything, so here, have some tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rfhi6I84hM

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
La mulana owns! I'm thoroughly spoiled on the first game from watching a let's play by deceased crab, but I was slowly making my way through la mulana 2 with a notebook open. Even the lore of the games is obfuscated and needs to be recorded to be pieced together, and those lore connections are also used for puzzles!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Jinh posted:

La mulana owns! I'm thoroughly spoiled on the first game from watching a let's play by deceased crab, but I was slowly making my way through la mulana 2 with a notebook open. Even the lore of the games is obfuscated and needs to be recorded to be pieced together, and those lore connections are also used for puzzles!
La Mulana 2 is good, but in my opinion suffers a lot by clearly being a dream sequel that wasn't meant to be, so it's stuffed full with references and callbacks. Nearly every boss is similar to 1's in some way, your inventory is virtually unchanged, and some locations are clearly based on those of the first game.
Still would absolutely recommend, but I hate when games do that.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah. i finished the LP and went "drat I wanna play this but I already know a lot of the secrets" so it suited me fine lol

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

It's also 75% off on steam, I just paid £2.74.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
La-Mulana's one of those games I don't think is good so much as I think it's "Interesting," and I don't mean that in an underhanded way. A lot of its ideas are fascinating from a design perspective, and it takes risks that no AAA game would dare, but the implementation of some of those ideas can be incredibly frustrating in the moment, and while that's arguably the point (what self-respecting ancient ruin would guard its treasures with "Easy" traps and riddles), there's definitely some diminishing returns (and at least one puzzle that's blatantly unfair).

La-Mulana 2 is the better game IMO, albeit at the cost of settling for refining its predecessor's ideas without hatching too many of its own. It's an overall smoother experience however, with better signposting, though there are still a few spots that will make you yank your hair out if you're trying to beat it without a guide.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Both of those games are great but they aren't for the faint of heart, and they definitely aren't for everyone. And to be honest, I basically ended up following a guide all the way through for 1 and for the back third of 2 (although I did give it the old college try for 2 at least).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Feldegast42 posted:

Both of those games are great but they aren't for the faint of heart, and they definitely aren't for everyone. And to be honest, I basically ended up following a guide all the way through for 1 and for the back third of 2 (although I did give it the old college try for 2 at least).
I'm in the middle of 2 myself at the moment. Thought I'd try my hand at a guide-free run, and while I've gotten pretty far under my own power, I've been stuck on what feels like a nothing puzzle for like 10-15 hours now and this is the closest I've come to giving up. It's gotten to the point where I type the puzzle into google, hit search, then close the tab before I can see the results.

I might've cracked already if it felt more impenetrable, but it's fallen into that sweet/sour spot where it feels like I'm missing something minor, despite all my notes, and if I look it up I'm going to feel like an idiot.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

La-Mulana 2 is the better game IMO, albeit at the cost of settling for refining its predecessor's ideas without hatching too many of its own. It's an overall smoother experience however, with better signposting, though there are still a few spots that will make you yank your hair out if you're trying to beat it without a guide.
I disagree. I think of La-Mulana 2 as "Lost Levels" type game. Too much is rehashed, and there are many, many more fake floors and traps that instakill you. Original only had a few of those, mostly as gags, but La-Mulana 2 features quite a few dropping floors that slide you onto the spikes or under a crusher.
To each their own, though. It's still a great game, but I gravitated way more towards the first one, as the whole "mantra" gimmick didn't click for me, since quite a lot of it felt like samey execution. I also felt like there were a few "puzzles" where you just talk to the NPCs after some events that weren't explained at all.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 13, 2023

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I have tried a lot of new games because of this thread, and I have yet to be disappointed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Metroidvanias aren't my genre but I respect La-Mulana because everything I've ever read about it suggests it really commits (As Vookatos' spoilered part shows) and I will always respect a game that gives its fans exactly what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Fear & Hunger 2: Termina

I first learned of Fear & Hunger because Steam was shoving it into my face, and I promptly ignored it because tags made it seem like some awful sex game. However, it became somewhat popular in certain parts of the internet, so I've decided to check it out. Thank God for the refund feature, I thought.

I proceeded to waste hours upon hours in Fear & Hunger.

Fear & Hunger is a survival horror game made in RPG Maker. Unlike other PRGs you earn no experience and instead have to rely on everything you can to survive while the dungeons of Fear & Hunger try to grind you into dust. It's legitimately a scary game that loves to kill you, but its unfairness is what makes it fun. There are tons of secrets, randomised items a-la Pathologic (who would've thought I can compare something to Pathologic where the latter is MORE popular?), and some incredible monsters.

So, why am I talking about the original? Well, the thing is, it's a good game. If you like cruel stuff and dark fantasy it's a treat, and at times it feels like one of those incredibly gotcha platformers like Cat Mario. Thankfully its various ways to kill you make things interesting throughout. However, there's a reason why I thought it was a sex game at first. F&H series isn't ashamed of sex, and that's fine. If there are games where you blow up people's heads in glorious HD, why shouldn't there be a game where a monster hangs dong or where you can have a weird hosed-up orgy? Not like the game shows anything too up-close and it's definitely not horny. It's a sprite-based game that uses nudity for horror. However, the first title had some parts where sexual violence could happen, which makes it hard to recommend. If you don't care about pixel people getting raped (which, to be fair, I have not seen in my playthrough), I'd still recommed it but it's a big "if", I know.

That said, Fear and Hunger 2 is the developer embracing criticisms of the first game and making a geniunely great survival horror experience. Personally, if we only count gameplay, I think it is the BEST survival horror game I've ever played.

You have multiple characters to choose from, and they all arrive to a sudden stop on their journey, finding themselves in a mysterious foggy town. All of them have the same vision, telling them about the festival of the moon, and it soon becomes apparent that they're engaged in a battle royale situation in what's effectively Silent Hill.

F&H2 is still an RPG Maker game, yet it manager to unnerve me more than once because it still remains cruel and unforgiving. Saving moves time forward, and once 3 days are up... You're not gonna like it, let's say that. I had to learn how to save to not move time, and it was an eye-opening experience that shaped my playthrough.

Throughout the game you'll explore the town of Prehevil, fight its various inhabitants, solve puzzles and try not to die. In the original, this was accomplished via meters of hunger and sanity, and here that feels a little less important, with more emphasis on combat. The combat is a farily basic turn-based RPG affair with one addition: you can cut off limbs from enemies. See a man with a sickle? Cut that arm off before going for the body! Just remember that another arm might have some tricks. It's a bit like Shin Megami Tensei in that enemies can get multiple turns per turn, but it's always fun to see what they do. You can also go for legs, which makes it easier to crit their head off, targeting which otherwise will likely result in a missed attack. Or, if you want, just pummel their bodies for a DPS race between you and them.

Oh, and the enemies can do the same to you. You can lose your limbs which affects how fast you walk, what you can hold and so on. It's a fascinating system which I really enjoy. You need to learn your enemies to feel comfortable. For example, you know how I said cutting their legs off makes them vunerable? Well, there is one rear end in a top hat who's got a different method of balance: you need to cut off his ballsack for him to stumble, which makes the fight easier and faster. Some enemies might have no legs, or no head, too.

There's still nudity in the game, but it feels much more horror-related a-la Silent Hill and there's no random rape happening. Many more enemies are clothed, but the ones who aren't are always a treat. I do love me some body horror, and horror doesn't usually incorporate dongs, so that feels new and fresh. However, even enemies without dicks are top-tier designs!

The game IS a survival horror, so it also allows you to go about killing and avoiding your enemies in more ways than a standard RPG would. For example, you can find bear traps you can set which will cut off enemies' legs allowing you to kill them. There are ranged weapons you can use on the overworld to weaken or finish off enemies before even fighting them. Of course, usual RPG equipment menu also helps with that. See a ghost? I won't spoil you as to how to kill them, but you will immediately discover that your weapons likely won't, so you do need to change up your loadout.

The story is told in a very lore-heavy Dark Souls way, and it's an enjoyable one. Central hook of 14 people being stranded in a town on the verge of... something is better than the original's "go to dungeon". I've gotten the best ending and I barely understand what I did, but I'll likely replay this game to see all the alternatives, because I've not even gotten to day 3. The screenshot below is something that I've not seen, for example. Apparently you can make a new hub for your buddies? News to me!

The name and the 3 day limit might imply this, but effectively this game is a weird and perverted Majora's Mask parody, even including a hosed-up moon. And much like Majora's Mask, one thing you'll need is knowledge of what to do next. The hardest part of this game is the fact that you don't have any songs of time, and you'll need to return to saves again and again, trying out new things and seeing where to go next. Personally, I don't find it boring as the town is big enough. The only time I felt restricted was right at the end where I needed to trek from my save into the final area, which was just kinda boring.

That said, it is the only game in recent memory that made me scared so much I needed to quit it. A certain door closing behind me as I was playing for 30 minutes made horror so much more tense than any survival horror game I've played. I straight-up went "no" and quit the game, deciding to reload and not go into the spooky zone.

I've heard the game described as an immersive sim, and I guess it's not incorrect? Hell, it took me way too much to realize how the skill tree works, so instead of learning engineering I went with my party of 4 bashing in every metal door, which you can do! The amount of options and secrets is insane! It's no Deus Ex but it's a loving RPG Maker game! If it was released a month later, it would probably be my GOTY of current year, and that's saying a lot.