Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Finding good support for the Arian "heresy" in the Bible was the first major step toward me leaving the church. I mean Jesus literally says his father is greater than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!
Combining monotheism with the Roman State religion (which was previously compulsory but non-exclusive with most other faiths, the Jews and their regional cousins being notable exceptions), was never going to end well.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Flavius Aetass posted:

The sophistry was very real in my church as well. We were very doctrine-heavy. None of the sermons were like "God is kinda like when you're at the golf course and..." Everything had a Biblical basis (Sola Scriptura), but it was never really acknowledged just how much the NIV's translation was based on conforming the words to the already established doctrine.

Things like Harry Potter were occasionally discussed in the context of "I know some of you parents might be worried about this but although I can't say I approve it doesn't seem necessarily dangerous spiritually." There was a lot of official recognition of deeply fundamentalist belief that was softened by a kind of subtle sidestep. Like, yes we believe in a literal Satan and literal demons and that possession is real, BUT it's surely not very common and let's not be like those weird churches and place an undue emphasis on it.

The only real non-Biblical authorities that were recognized were like John Calvin and a few modern theologians like RC Sproul and Francis Schaeffer, who is a king at making assertions sound academic.

The NIV? That's too postmodern*! True BIBLICAL Christians use the [KJV/NKJV/RSV/ASB/NASB].

We believed most of the things Good Republican Christians did, we just weren't public about it. Passive aggression was a virtue. Never rant against LGBTQ people, just pretend they don't exist (except for some vague references to "unnatural" things.) Never actually criticize the government, just make vague imprecatory remarks when the subject comes up in prayer. Never actually condemn all those heterodox Presbyterians, just imply that their understanding of [insert the Reformed Theology equivalent of the Destiel controversy] is Wrong.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Finding good support for the Arian "heresy" in the Bible was the first major step toward me leaving the church. I mean Jesus literally says his father is greater than him.

St. Nicholas of Myra wants to SLAP YOUR poo poo.

Unlike most protestant denominations, mine actually studied Christian history before the Reformation. We covered the whole ecumenical councils, starting at Nicea, and had got to wade through a number of primary sources, in order to write an essay on the arguments and who was right [hint: not Arius]. I remember slogging through way too many 8pt footnoted texts arguing over homouousios vs. homoiousios and other such world-changing topics, before realizing that I had better things to do with my life, started my essay from the conclusion that Athanasius was right, regurgitated what I'd been taught, threw in some pull-quotes from the primary sources, and got to sleep. In retrospect, the fact that the main lesson I got from writing theological essays for school/catechism class/punishment was "how to bullshit" should have been a warning sign.

*a general-purpose fundamentalist derogatory word, used to apply to anything that implies that Truth may not be 100% Absolute, or that the world is not Black and White. Or just anything from the 20th century that is Bad, from the Scopes Trial to Andy Warhol.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt-60 posted:

Never actually condemn all those heterodox Presbyterians, just imply that their understanding of [insert the Reformed Theology equivalent of the Destiel controversy] is Wrong.

the funny thing is regular presbyterians like pretty much every other mainline denomination doesn't think about the fundie offshoots at all. maybe a couple people have a chuckle about "those weirdos" when the subject comes up once in a blue moon

really the worst part about fundamentalist christianity is it seems like way too much work

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the funny thing is regular presbyterians like pretty much every other mainline denomination doesn't think about the fundie offshoots at all. maybe a couple people have a chuckle about "those weirdos" when the subject comes up once in a blue moon

really the worst part about fundamentalist christianity is it seems like way too much work

Just requires a passion for it. Self-righteousness is a hell of a drug. Writing 100k words on semi-preterism vs postmillenialism isn't that much different from explaining the Rule of Two, or Equestrian cosmology, or any other thing people will go on at absolute length about for no compensation besides the satisfaction of being right. My dad is one of them; a fanboy for Reformed theology. Collects Cornelius van Til like some people collect guns. His idea of good father-son bonding was going over the Westminster Catechism with me on Sunday afternoons. Even moved 500 miles to go to seminary for an M.Div that's been hanging uselessly on his wall ever since. Joined the same church as his fellow seminary fanboys, so they could hang out after church and talk forever about post-apostolic hermeneutics.

I always wonder if, like what my mother said/implied, the "loss" of me walking away from his whole hosed-up self-righteous circlejerk of a dysfunctional extended family of a church was one of the great tragedies of his life. I'd like to think it was.

(Thinking back on things, we never considered ourselves fundamentalist; that term was reserved for the politically active churches, or some of the weird home-church splinter denominations.)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno sounds your dad just might be a peculiar nutbar

honestly all the fundies i knew growing up ranging from baptist to free will baptist to foot washing baptist to pentecostal didn't know poo poo about the bible and any sort exegesis was them doing tviv-level analysis of scripture sans any broader context

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Discussing childhood trauma is inherently bougie & will not be tolerated after the revolution.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Cobalt-60 posted:

Just requires a passion for it. Self-righteousness is a hell of a drug. Writing 100k words on semi-preterism vs postmillenialism isn't that much different from explaining the Rule of Two, or Equestrian cosmology, or any other thing people will go on at absolute length about for no compensation besides the satisfaction of being right. My dad is one of them; a fanboy for Reformed theology. Collects Cornelius van Til like some people collect guns. His idea of good father-son bonding was going over the Westminster Catechism with me on Sunday afternoons. Even moved 500 miles to go to seminary for an M.Div that's been hanging uselessly on his wall ever since. Joined the same church as his fellow seminary fanboys, so they could hang out after church and talk forever about post-apostolic hermeneutics.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno sounds your dad just might be a peculiar nutbar

honestly all the fundies i knew growing up ranging from baptist to free will baptist to foot washing baptist to pentecostal didn't know poo poo about the bible and any sort exegesis was them doing tviv-level analysis of scripture sans any broader context

With both sides of my family coming from middle Wisconsin, hardcore Reformed/Lutheranism is kind of my 'native' form of fundamentalism, and it is dramatically different from the Baptist, Pentecostal, or nondenominational megachurch flavors of Christian zealotry; sterile instead of passionate, clannish instead of proselytic, and much, much more concerned with 'correct' belief than with 'correct' action.

In essence, less of this

and more of this.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

pca was a magnet for people from more extreme fundamentalist sects who wanted to settle down and go to a "normal" sunday church with snacks and no fbi informants and stuff but still wanted to feel like they had the religious secret knowledge over nominal christians. absolute zoo of crazy dressed up like a sears family photo ad

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I wasn't allowed to watch Captain Planet because it promoted the worship of Gaia.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

My parents are basically non religious, but they sent us to a catholic school for some reason. Which wasnt too bad most of the time, but they did get pretty crazy sometimes, like when they told us in Sex Ed we would 100% get AIDS if we had premarital sex

Anyways I always had this memory as a kid of a time when my parents got called in, and it seemed really serious, so serious that they didnt even tell me what the meeting was about. I was freaking the gently caress out for days, but then on the day of the meeting my parents just kinda laughed and brushed away any attempt at questioning what the whole thing was about, the whole thing was a big mistery to me. Many years later I learned that the teacher had told them I was posessed by the devil because I said the Virgin mary was dumb

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I wasn't allowed to watch Captain Planet because it promoted the worship of Gaia.

same. i saw fern gully at a secular friend's house and that was about the most politically radical thing i had ever watched

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

i got pancake family'd with a couple of those chuds who were roughly as bad as prester jane's folks, which spurned my descent into witchcraft, feminism, animeism, and fully automated gay space luxury communism. as I'm sure it did with so many of you

logically i know that shame and guilt are abusive religious constructs and have no purpose but whoops there are entire neural pathways dedicated to that shame and guilt now.

it takes years to talk yourself out of feeling what abusers talked you into feeling, and if you ever stop trying then you're back to how they made you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did about one year in this style of "Accelerated Christian Education" classroom:

It looks a lot more oppressive than it felt. Once you were done with your work packets, you could socialize, play games, maybe even go to THE computer room and play Space Quest III. I guess it would depend on how chill your teacher was. In retrospect, it was very weird to have no chalkboard and no lecture.

And they tried to peer pressure me into reading that stupid "Left Behind" book series but I stuck to my guns and stayed with the My Teacher Is An Alien stuff from Bruce Coville.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Animal-Mother posted:

Did about one year in this style of "Accelerated Christian Education" classroom:

It looks a lot more oppressive than it felt. Once you were done with your work packets, you could socialize, play games, maybe even go to THE computer room and play Space Quest III. I guess it would depend on how chill your teacher was. In retrospect, it was very weird to have no chalkboard and no lecture.

And they tried to peer pressure me into reading that stupid "Left Behind" book series but I stuck to my guns and stayed with the My Teacher Is An Alien stuff from Bruce Coville.

the ppl who make this curriculum, and christians in general, still deserve to die from corona-chan

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Feranon posted:

the ppl who make this curriculum, and christians in general, still deserve to die from corona-chan

Sounds like someone just got out of detention

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

My Teacher Is An Alien stuff from Bruce Coville.

thanks for reminding me of this

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Feranon posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i am no longer christian but this is not an anti-christian hate thread

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
General Question to anybody:

How often did you eat with your families.

How well did you know the bible. (I find many people are not aware that Jesus dies four times in the bible)

What kind of Television did you watch, and when? (and radio)

Edit: how far back does your family talk about their family history?

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Jan 20, 2021

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

did you get to choose what packets you did? we had a similar system, but we could choose our assigments and could also work in groups. it was cool tho im not sure how conductive to learning it is

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

General Question to anybody:

How often did you eat with your families.

How well did you know the bible. (I find many people are not aware that Jesus dies four times in the bible)

What kind of Television did you watch, and when? (and radio)

Edit: how far back does your family talk about their family history?

1. We ate dinner together most every night.

2. Fairly well, but from the perspective of defending our church's doctrine. I could not tell you what was in nearly all of the minor prophets, for instance. There were also some major NT surprises to me when I started reading it critically.

3. I watched normal Ninja Turtles stuff, etc. My parents did not censor things like that except MTV etc. They did encourage me to listen to Christian radio shows and I especially liked the one Focus on the Family put on called Adventures in Odyssey.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
As far as Christian media I was also a big fan of The Adventures of McGee and Me, this 90s as gently caress show about a kid cartoonist and his cartoon friend that came to life, and a show called Storykeepers that often had kickass history stuff in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnxfEU0xfx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpww6Ckwno

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

babypolis posted:

did you get to choose what packets you did? we had a similar system, but we could choose our assigments and could also work in groups. it was cool tho im not sure how conductive to learning it is

Hmm. I can't remember. The only thing I clearly recall is that I would try to blaze through the whole week's workload by Wednesday so I could goof off for two solid days. I don't think it was conducive to learning at all. I struggled later on in "real" school.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Had a couple of these on VHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smbbcAgvTE

Anime time travel mad scientist house goes to Bible stories with a robot.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i remember adventures in odyssey was cool as a kid but i aged out of mcgee and me pretty fast. psalty can suck my dick

edit whoa i remember that specific episode of mcgee that flavious posted lol

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Jan 21, 2021

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Animal-Mother posted:

i say swears online posted:

same. i saw fern gully at a secular friend's house and that was about the most politically radical thing i had ever watched

same i stg somehow these people all got the same stupid rear end marching orders long before social media

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

e: snip

Breakfast All Day has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Jan 21, 2021

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
My dad also had weird religious outburst while mostly being normal. The one that sticks out in my mind was he got in his head that the X files was “evil” and we couldn’t watch it around the time Mulder was getting covered in black oil

Thankfully W bush and the Iraq war broke him of being a republican

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvujtkezS0

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Marx Headroom posted:

same i stg somehow these people all got the same stupid rear end marching orders long before social media

Church, Bible study groups, newsletters, magazines, radio, tv. Old school propaganda took a lot more time to disseminate than the internet, but it worked.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

lol straight up grotesque puppy play

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

grotesque is one of the coolest etymology words

yeah i got nerdy after reading the bible a lot so what

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
ty for that word, can't believe I hadn't heard about the Domus Aurea before today that poo poo is nuts

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Flavius Aetass posted:

As far as Christian media I was also a big fan of The Adventures of McGee and Me, this 90s as gently caress show about a kid cartoonist and his cartoon friend that came to life, and a show called Storykeepers that often had kickass history stuff in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnxfEU0xfx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpww6Ckwno

The show was done by Focus On the Family and if you're familiar with what they get up to you'd have less rosy feelings about their work.

Fotf is extremely prolific in its use of propaganda and it is a right wing anti lgbtq+ hate group. They're also pretty drat sophisticated in their use of propaganda and their technical expertise in making something that looks like people would actually want to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Oh no doubt. Focus on the Family is extremely insidious and founded by loving James Dobson, who is like Pat Robertson mixed with Grover Norquist

I don't recall LGBTQ+ issues coming up at that time. Maybe they did and I was too young to pick up on it, but I think they drastically changed their focus once LGBTQ+ rights came to the forefront of American politics. Not denying, of course, that they were always anti-LGBTQ+, which they certainly were