Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

After only 7 short years, I have finally begun work on my promised BYOB Chrome Extension.

Here is what it does right now:

• Replace usernames/avatars/signatures on BYOB threads with "spooky" in the title, to all look the same. Idea by Manifisto.

That's it for now. I can make it do other stuff if people want me to. Notably, I think it'd be cool to get some of the better banners back out of Jett's BYOBScript: there were some cool ones.

Other stuff I'm hoping to implement:

• Select pieces of BYOBScript that still make sense in 2021
  • Converting Markdown to bbcode

READY TO SUBVERT SYSTEM SECURITY?

The current version needs you to do developer stuff. If you've never written JavaScript before, please turn back now and wait for this to get reviewed published on the Chrome Web Store. It should take about two weeks.

Seriously. I do computer security education for a living: don't trust me or anybody else to bypass your computer's security mechanisms.

If you understand the risks, feel comfortable reviewing JavaScript for malicious crap, and would like to proceed, here's how. I'm intentionally making this difficult because I wasn't joking when I said you should never install software you can't audit from randos on Internet message boards.

1. Clone the git repository at https://github.com/nealey/byobscript
  2. Go into chrome://extensions
  3. Turn on developer mode
  4. Click "Load upacked" and select the directory you just cloned

Assuming I checked in everything I needed to, you should be able to cruise BYOB and see changes to threads with "Spooky" in the title. It'll look like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

this looks awesome! however I will take your words to heart and wait for people who know what they're doing to look it over before installing it.

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

this looks awesome! however I will take your words to heart and wait for people who know what they're doing to look it over before installing it.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cruft

ITT: people making me happy with good security decisions.

Also a little sad that no JS developers are game but I'll take it.

Goons Are Gifts

I'm sure we have some sort of developers in byob, no worries they just need to stop lurking and start posting!!
This looks really cool, finally we are all equally spooky

nut

java like coffee? drat that's wild

cruft

NECRO BABY

They approved it and didn't tell me. Go install this POS. This here thread will become anonymized, along with any other thread with "spooky" in the name.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/byob-experiments/mklaglndekjmibohgikcomcoheblmdgb/

I can have it do other things too, such as

• "Old Man Mode" for me and BFM that takes all the distracting crap out
  • "Night Mode"
  • Whatever other batshit crazy thing you idiots wanted from the stylesheet thread but they couldn't put in the stylesheet

But for now it just does Manifisto's anonymization thing.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

nice nice nice nice

cruft

sk posted:

nice nice nice nice

Oh, are you using it now? I can't even tell who you are, LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

this is hilarious, thank you following through with it op . . . whoever you may be :iiam: