Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

As a kid I played this gameboy game called Legend of the River King, didn't understand how to play it whatsoever but it was still a cool fishing rpg

that game kicked rear end and i'd love a sequel or remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten that Mario odyssey has a few fishing moons until I replayed a little of it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

every time i explore in Three Houses, i've been going right for fishing first. really simple, but always satisfying to see EXCELLENT pop up at the end.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

I have strong fond memories of playing SNESera fishing games like Super Black Bass as frequent rentals. That tension and excitement when you finally spot a huge shadow lurking in the reeds.

Super Black Bass was excellent. Always go up by the spillway of the dam.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahP41mLAyLw

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

feels like some kind of fever dream

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

goferchan posted:

Do those FFXIV rare fish have any special function or are they just for bragging rights?

aquariums as mentioned but also you can make them into prints that you can hang up in your house. cool stuff.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plutonis posted:

this fucker made me hate fishing in vidya forever

Big's missions take like 30 seconds. weak fool

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
My #1 fishing experience was ffxi. Chilling on the boat, riding it back and forth, beating up pirates and hiding in the hold if the kraken spawned ftw. Still mad there was no fishing rod in breath of the wild though wtf Nintendo

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The fishing in rear end Creed: You're a Viking is fun, I like how excited the character is whenever you equip the fishing rope thingy. For a while there was a fun bug where the fish's model didn't render once you hauled it in so the character would just hold up empty air like a mime.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rear end Creed: You're a Viking

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Polejacking the Fishmen as a Norseman in rear end Creed.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

think im finally gonna try this one. is it ok without the controller?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

The OP revved up a stream once for 5 minutes to catch a godly legendary fish and as soon as he caught it he said "Well, that's it." and closed the stream.

sounds like a man that delivers on his promises

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

streams is a real good place to catch a fish, ygot water, ygot fish, wha more coup you need

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this thread has me thinking about that guy in high school who actually actually caught the hyrule loach but we didn't believe him, thinking it was a video game Big Fish story

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

All the breath of fire games have fishing minigames and you can get some of the best loot from doing it. The first two are kinda lame but BOF3 has a really involved fishing game that’s a lot of fun

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

All the breath of fire games have fishing minigames and you can get some of the best loot from doing it. The first two are kinda lame but BOF3 has a really involved fishing game that’s a lot of fun

Stocking up on whales before the final boss...

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Is Ultimate Fishing Simulator good? I impulse bought it a while ago, but haven't really given it a chance yet.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

aquariums as mentioned but also you can make them into prints that you can hang up in your house. cool stuff.

I made a floor of the Imp FC house into a celebration of Kongming's fishing achievements

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The actual fishing minigame (if you can even call it that) in WoW is pretty boring, but they did a cool thing a couple of expansions ago. In the Legion expansion, progression was tied to legendary weapons for each class that all had their own skill trees with unlockable abilities. Post-campaign, though, there was a really long convoluted secret quest that could unlock you a legendary fishing rod that functioned the same way, and it came with a bunch of cool features like letting you transform into a fish underwater, making you stealthier while fishing, and giving you a chance to fish up rare boot equipment:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fungah! posted:

that game kicked rear end and i'd love a sequel or remake

If you've got a 3DS the GBC sequel is on the eshop for $5 and it's really cool, I played it again a few years ago. I'm just looking it up now though and apparently there's also a fan translation of a spinoff game set on a boat in the ocean, and it looks like the last game in the series, River King: Mystic Valley for DS got an official NA release but I never even knew it existed

edit: Looking it up the DS one sounds pretty bad compared to the gameboy games. I'm definitely going to try the pirate ship one though

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

P-Mack posted:

I made a floor of the Imp FC house into a celebration of Kongming's fishing achievements

hell yeah