Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Timeless Appeal posted:

Bumping this thread to proudly declare... the Matilda musical is pretty good!

I saw the actual thing in London once. I might want to check it out one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I watched "Tommy", The Who's rock opera for the first time last night and I was blown away by it. It has everything I love about off-the-wall 70s film production.

I especially loved Elton John with massive cartoonish legs singing Pinball Wizard and Tina Turner transforming into an iron maiden of syringes. There was also something very unsettling about Eric Clapton leading an evangelical cult centered around Marilyn Monroe.

I loved this movie.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm kind of interested to see how it holds up. I only saw it many, many years ago when I was very young and I remember hating it. But I was very young so it might have been me, because I also remember during the same period watching and liking Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire (the snooker vampire musical) and on a recent rewatch that was turgid.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL53EUbHazo

This is definitely the highlight of the movie for me. Elton really nailed this song.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Full sountdrack/cast recording of The Little Mermaid dropped today.

The good:

Holy poo poo Halle is incredible and far and away the best casting choice Disney has made for these live action remakes. I am super excited to see her acting and her "Part of Your World" honestly might become the definitive version

Melissa McCarthy surprised me with her Ursula in a good way. She brings a wonderful mania to "Poor Unfortunate Souls" that doesn't try to be the original, but has its own charm

The few rewrites done to the above song and "Kiss The Girl" actually make them better

The meh:

The new songs (with one exception) are just okay. lyrically they feel disconnected from the others (something i was worried about with Lin Manuel Miranda doing the thing because he has a very distinct lyrical style). I guess a big part of it was wanting to give Eric something to chew on and...

He's fine. Decent singer and i don't know if it's the material but it just doesn't come across super well in audio. Hopefully it's better on screen

Daveed Diggs feels like he's sleepwalking through "Kiss the Girl" and (more tragically) "Under the Sea" which is disappointing but the songs are strong enough to overcome. the only song he felt like he was excited for brings me to:

The Bad

Ugh. "Scuttlebutt" is just...I guess I shouldn't be surprised that LMM wrote something for Daveed and Awkwafina to rap really fast to but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the musical and also it is just LMM's "Hamilton" style turned to 11

overall this is probably the strongest Disney live action remake to date, at least strictly speaking from an audio standpoint. Though i guess that bar isn't super high

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Halle is the only reason I might see this movie. I view all the live action remakes as cynical cash-grabs, but I heard her sing and she is Ariel. The rest of the movie looks pretty meh, but I would like to hear her sing Ariel's songs. Didn't realize LMM was involved. gently caress. Of course he was.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Halle is the only reason I might see this movie. I view all the live action remakes as cynical cash-grabs, but I heard her sing and she is Ariel. The rest of the movie looks pretty meh, but I would like to hear her sing Ariel's songs. Didn't realize LMM was involved. gently caress. Of course he was.

i'm taking my youngest to see it tomorrow and probably at least once more because i hate how the right wing reacted to Halle's casting as 'woke' and i really don't want this movie to flop

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

aBagorn posted:

i'm taking my youngest to see it tomorrow and probably at least once more because i hate how the right wing reacted to Halle's casting as 'woke' and i really don't want this movie to flop

Yeah, that campaign/reaction was total bullshit. Her voice is perfect.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
These Disney remakes never flop. And they keep making them.
Real thing to complain about is crazy Sebastian and flounder designs. Oh and lack of French chef song.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My guilty pleasure is all the Terrance Zdunich catalog: Repo: The Genetic Opera, The Devil's Carnival, and Alleluia!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember when my brother and I showed Repo to my dad, and he responded by showing us Phantom of the Paradise, which he described as "His equivalent when he was our age" :3:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember when my brother and I showed Repo to my dad, and he responded by showing us Phantom of the Paradise, which he described as "His equivalent when he was our age" :3:

This post belongs in the #blessed thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The movie of the month is very relevant to this thread and a hoot. I recommend checking it out!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thank you for bumping this thread!

I hadn't seen my favorite comfort musical mentioned: The Band Wagon (1953) It's not great, but it works for me on the same level as Singin in the Rain.

And if we're not done dumping on LLM, I want to say that Mary Poppins Returns is a charmless abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched Annette with Adam Driver. It's a very interesting although very dark musical. It has a thing where Annette is played by a wooden doll, but it's not just a child actor contract thing it's actually symbolic and intentional.