Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Ghibli weren’t involved in the sequel right so none of their cutscenes etc are in it? That was a big part of the cozy gaming

Yeah they do a pretty solid Ghibli impression for the sequel but they were only directly involved in the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The sequel does characters really well, even just random NPCs are charming and memorable and have a ton of personality. But yeah as far as the setting goes it’s a step back, I liked the water kingdom with the merpeople but that’s the only thing that really stands out in my memory.

The hugely reduced number of monster types is a bummer too. It had to happen to some degree when they axed the Pokemon aspect but all the monsters were a big part of what made the world of 1 so vibrant and it feels like in 2 they cut it down to like 10 monsters that just get recolored between areas

EmmyOk posted:

Ghibli weren’t involved in the sequel right so none of their cutscenes etc are in it? That was a big part of the cozy gaming

This plus the setting just felt weird overall. Like why is Ding Dong Dell completely different? There was a big war hinted at but nothing ever came of it in the main story. Like that huge crashed ship in the snow zone was just a big nothing. Did anyone play the dlc? I wonder if they get into any of that

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There are also like, no recurring locations except DDD, so it's extra weird lol

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

yeah i was under the impression that 1 -was- turn-based, but this isn't the case? I beat nnk2 while kinda hating it's action rpg combat system and was looking forward to a more classic jrpg feel with the remaster, but what is it really?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I forget where I saw it but in a recent interview someone asked Goro Miyazaki about NNK and if they would be interested in collaborating on another video game and he basically said they would never do it again lol. I wonder if they got burned

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The beginning of NNK2 was sick

edit with the nuke lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

The beginning of NNK2 was sick

edit with the nuke lol

The opening cutscene is bonkers lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I forget where I saw it but in a recent interview someone asked Goro Miyazaki about NNK and if they would be interested in collaborating on another video game and he basically said they would never do it again lol. I wonder if they got burned

I will play a Studio Ghibli Harvest Moon style game, in this life or the next

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Looking back I think I liked the first game better than the sequel. 2 does a lot of things better but kinda drops the ball on the magical world feeling. I still remember walking into Ding Dong Dell for the first time with my lil cape flowing behind me, it was awesome. Plus there were runes you had to decipher by using the huge rear end compendium in-game to complete certain sidequests etc. Just a fantastic setting. :hai:

The compendium was a separate physical book for the original ds version, that kind of owns I guess

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

P-Mack posted:

The compendium was a separate physical book for the original ds version, that kind of owns I guess

It was part of the special edition on ps3 as well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have to assume the work involved just doesn't add up when you're talking about the money a moderately successful game brings in versus a giant international movie hit.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The opening cutscene is bonkers lol

Lol I watched a friend play this part. Nuking the president of the United States ftw

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is a ni no kuni thread so :justpost:

Why is everything so many coins?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's a complete translation for the DS version and they even included a translated PDF of the gigantic spell tome that you need to play it. I'm thinking about checking it out

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4068/

If you are doing this on a DSi or 3DS with NDS Bootstrap, make sure to save yourself an hour+ of headaches and install the arm 7 patch instead of the one at romhacking.net. The translation wouldn't work for me until I did that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Am I doing something wrong or is recruiting things just that random?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

its persona rules

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Lunar silver star story is pretty wholesome op

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Frenz posted:

Lunar silver star story is pretty wholesome op

doesnt that one have sexy pics of ladies that you can pick up as collectibles

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I don’t remember that

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

doesnt that one have sexy pics of ladies that you can pick up as collectibles

Bromides. And two spa scenes. Also, there's a lot of treachery.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lunar sss is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lunatic’s rear end: Revenge