Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Vampire Lord seems pretty darn good in DTA. or at least, portal crawls. There are caveats - a bunch of her moves are more focused on setup and that's not as useful in this environment, her defense isn't very defensive, and she has relatively low damage output. But the flexibility of Blood Power, especially the heal for all the damage you do at 4? So good. And she has built in CP gain and card draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

malkav11 posted:

Vampire Lord seems pretty darn good in DTA. or at least, portal crawls. There are caveats - a bunch of her moves are more focused on setup and that's not as useful in this environment, her defense isn't very defensive, and she has relatively low damage output. But the flexibility of Blood Power, especially the heal for all the damage you do at 4? So good. And she has built in CP gain and card draw.

Yeah, we're just about done with a campaign of Vampire Lord, Shadow Thief, and Pyromancer, and that heal is insanely important.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Yeah, we're just about done with a campaign of Vampire Lord, Shadow Thief, and Pyromancer, and that heal is insanely important.
Whoa how's pyro holding up in that?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Whoa how's pyro holding up in that?

Did not make it to the end of portal crawl four, but did get lucky early and score a damage reduction equipment of some sort.

Shadow Thief is me and it's a trip. I spent more status removals pulling Shadows off myself than any negative status, just so I can set it up again same turn.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Did not make it to the end of portal crawl four, but did get lucky early and score a damage reduction equipment of some sort.

Shadow Thief is me and it's a trip. I spent more status removals pulling Shadows off myself than any negative status, just so I can set it up again same turn.
Nice.

Yeah, I was thinking about giving him a run next time. Seems like a great one with all the hiding and whatnot.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm debating between getting the Gunslinger/Samurai box or the Tactician/Huntress. Which is more fun?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm debating between getting the Gunslinger/Samurai box or the Tactician/Huntress. Which is more fun?
Gunslinger/Samurai, especially if it's your first box. Both solid, both pretty simple.

Tactician/Huntress are both way more complicated, and Huntress is a frequent least-favorite class among players.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Pulling this out of the nether with Marvel Dice Throne kicking off tomorrow!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well the new boards certainly look neat. Lots of unique counter and interesting cycles on display.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah. I am really intrigued by Black Widow. Seems extremely new and interesting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
*tap mike* is this thread still on?

Oh holy crap - balance fixes for Huntress, Vampire Lord, and Tactician are coming with the Santa vs Krampus box?

Looks like you can download them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicethrone/dice-throne-santa-vs-krampus

e: from Facebook -

quote:

Huntress:
Can still defend when Nyra takes dmg.
Can deal 1 dmg to Nyra once per turn to reroll a die.

Tactician:
Begins game with 2 TA,
Constrict now taxes all roll attempts after the first.

Vampire Lord:
Blood Power now has stack limit of 5 and powers were tweaked
1- dmg increased from 2 to 3
2- can remove any status effect from any hero during main phase
3- draw 2 (no discard)

Also, when deals dmg to a hero with 2 bleed, gains 1 Blood Power at the end of the turn

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 5, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Since it came up in the board game thread...

Yeah! Dice Throne X-men! I'm on board.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
What up Dice Throne thread! Recent convert and now between my brother and I, we have all but 4 characters (Moon/Bard & Widow/Strange). I too was hoping for unique characters again, but X-men is the next best option in my opinion. My brother was hoping for World of Warcraft class characters though.

Who is everyone's favorite character to play? It seems played out, but Cursed Pirate is still really fun. Easy to be strong with and the balance of when to flip is a fun thing to consider. A lot of my friends like Paladin though and I find playing as and against Paladin to be a very frustrating game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man. It's hard. I don't really have a favorite. I just like to play something different every time I play.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Next two heroes for X-men previewed today: Storm and Iceman. They join Wolverine and Psylocke. I’m assuming we have 4 more to reveal along with some details of the co-op campaign over the next few weeks.

Dream list for the next four for me are: Colossus, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Jean Grey (with a board flip to make her Phoenix).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I confess I haven't followed that closely. Not because I'm not interested, but because I'm already all in and will definitely be getting the battle chest, lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lord Wexia posted:

Next two heroes for X-men previewed today: Storm and Iceman. They join Wolverine and Psylocke. I’m assuming we have 4 more to reveal along with some details of the co-op campaign over the next few weeks.

Dream list for the next four for me are: Colossus, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Jean Grey (with a board flip to make her Phoenix).

They would be missing a huge trick if there wasn't a Gambit character where you could throw away cards to empower abilities.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quote-Unquote posted:

They would be missing a huge trick if there wasn't a Gambit character where you could throw away cards to empower abilities.
Oh gently caress the dice throne chaos orb is coming

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Quote-Unquote posted:

As much as I want Gambit, for some reason I think if they already did Psylocke, Gambit is out.

Also Rogue with an ability to steal other players’ status effects or something could be neat.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Next two characters to the surprise of no one are Cyclops and Jean Grey.

https://youtu.be/GNrjBMSf1ks?si=m9_zesCoC0QhgZle

Interestingly, Jean Grey is not quite a board flip character. Instead there is a card to put over the center of the board, but keeping the ultimate the same, when she is in Dark Phoenix form.

Also, one of the board game sites posted a preview and mentioned that the last two characters are Gambit and Rogue which will complete the set. (Video is private now.) They are also supposedly doing an 8-box and (2) 4-character boxes.

Overall I’m pretty excited about the set. Storm and Iceman both look fun to play. I didn’t get Colossus or Nighrcrawler, but love the theme overall.

For folks who did the kickstarter on previous sets, what is the lead time on these once the Kickstarter starts in October?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
They go fairly fast. Whatever their estimate is, it's probably going to be good within a month in either direction. Roxley knows their poo poo.

I'm obviously in for the full battle chest. And whatever else they want to sell me tbh.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Lord Wexia posted:

For folks who did the kickstarter on previous sets, what is the lead time on these once the Kickstarter starts in October?

Marvel Dice Throne launched in October, began fulfilling June.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really was hoping the last character would be Magneto but of course it's loving Deadpool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Maybe Magneto will be in whatever this missions thing is gonna be.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rebalanced leaflets for Thor and Miles, you say?

Hmmm

They did wonders for Season 2 heroes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oof. Triple post time.

Leaflet updates for Thor and Spidey just dropped. These may or may not be final.

The buffs for Miles seem significant. Nerfs for Thor seem gentle - maybe enough?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j7io_yKOTXnkvG3j-xC67fxdMoVVDN1d&usp=drive_fs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thor nerfs are really just to how often his guard break can activate + electro tokens for cards I think? not really much of a nerf, he'll still be really good.

kickstarter goals look like they'll be adding a fuckton of villains to the core box which will really sell the value of it, there's gonna be probably more than a dozen and a half by the end.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

thor nerfs are really just to how often his guard break can activate + electro tokens for cards I think? not really much of a nerf, he'll still be really good.

kickstarter goals look like they'll be adding a fuckton of villains to the core box which will really sell the value of it, there's gonna be probably more than a dozen and a half by the end.
This is from a rando on Facebook.

quote:

CHANGELOG.

THOR-
Guard Break
Old: Attack becomes Undefendable on 1-3.

New: Attack becomes Undefendable on 4-5.

Electrokinesis
Old: A player may spend 3 tokens at ANY TIME to draw 1.

New. ONCE PER TURN, a player may spend 4 tokens during their MAIN PHASE to draw 1.

Mjolnir
NO CHANGES.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miles Morales-
Combo
New: This token MAY NOT be transferred by any means (but can be removed).

Webbed
Old: This token has no effect the turn it is inflicted or transferred.
On subsequent turns, when a player afflicted with this token is attacked with normal damage, the damage type becomes undefendable instead and this token is immediately removed.

New: When this token is inflicted, deal 2 as an isolated source of undefendable damage.
The NEXT time a player afflicted with this token is attacked with normal damage, the damage type becomes undefendable instead and this token is immediately removed.

Invisibility
NO CHANGES.
Yeah the Miles buffs are great sounding. Thor is important because he can't get perfect efficiency on electrokinesis. And guard break is less often.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Seems like the retail X-Men is going to use a different form factor than the tri-fold battle chest trays we've become used to, probably to cut manufacturing or shelf costs. Two boxes, four heroes each.

So. If you are gonna want it, now's the time I guess? I'm picturing something like the first printing of Dice Throne Season 1 with the flat cardstock boards. Which isn't terrible but it's a huge step down imo.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like the retail X-Men is going to use a different form factor than the tri-fold battle chest trays we've become used to, probably to cut manufacturing or shelf costs. Two boxes, four heroes each.

So. If you are gonna want it, now's the time I guess? I'm picturing something like the first printing of Dice Throne Season 1 with the flat cardstock boards. Which isn't terrible but it's a huge step down imo.

I saw that too, definitely a worse solution than the awesome trays and trifold boards. I’m sure it cuts down on shelf space a ton if you can have a flat stack of boards, a few tokens, a stack of cards, and 20 dice in a flat box, but one of my favorite things about DT is just how easy it is to grab your character and go. Hopefully they keep the existing battle chest format for future releases, at least on KS.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah - I think this is because this is a Marvel thing with Target presence and poo poo like that.

I don't think they're giving up the battle chest for their own properties. I hope.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The discussion I'm seeing elsewhere is that Roxley doesn't have the retail rights for this set (Marvel in general?) and the retail company is the one that decided on the changes. They also apparently plan on continuing to print and (from their own website) sell X-Men Battlechests. Just not at retail.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Santa vs Krampus set is available again, for anyone like me that missed it last year.

Game Night did a play of the new Missions game (a very early version, not final rules or art). Seems interesting, though there is an issue where quite a few cards are useless as they can only affect players and not enemies (which explicitly don't count as players).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Santa vs Krampus set is available again, for anyone like me that missed it last year.

Game Night did a play of the new Missions game (a very early version, not final rules or art). Seems interesting, though there is an issue where quite a few cards are useless as they can only affect players and not enemies (which explicitly don't count as players).
Most should work against bosses at least, right? Hope so, lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Most should work against bosses at least, right? Hope so, lol

AFAICT the rules right now say no if the card refers to a player. I think ones that say "opponent" would work?

It's obviously a very, very early edition so I'm sure it'll be figured out before release. I haven't played Adventures so I dunno how hard it has been previously to make the game co op.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Am I reading this wrong then?

https://dice-throne.rulepop.com/#opponents

(Relevant text section)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

theironjef posted:

Am I reading this wrong then?

https://dice-throne.rulepop.com/#opponents

(Relevant text section)

That's Adventures, not the new game. I'm just going by what they were saying on Game night, by the way, I have no idea if they got it right or not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quote-Unquote posted:

That's Adventures, not the new game. I'm just going by what they were saying on Game night, by the way, I have no idea if they got it right or not.
Ah youtubers.

Yeah.

I'd give 50/50 odds they got it all right.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It seems highly unlikely to me that Missions operates differently in that respect. Part of the point is that your heroes should interface directly with the coop content with what they do without needing them to have special hero specific content just for coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

It seems highly unlikely to me that Missions operates differently in that respect. Part of the point is that your heroes should interface directly with the coop content with what they do without needing them to have special hero specific content just for coop.

Also it's not like Tim Dicethrone is going to come to your house and punch you in the face if you do it wrong, so play it how it makes the most sense.