Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Curious about what Joe Biden has done? Want to help keep him accountable for his campaign promises? If so, this is the thread for you!

The purpose of this thread is to keep track of Joe Biden's campaign promises and if he has kept them. Because of this, the scope will be quite narrow.

How to contribute:

Help me create a good list of his campaign promises, and if they've been met! To help do this, reply with what the campaign promise is - with a link to where its from - and if he's kept it, with a link to the evidence. I'll copy and paste this information into the OP every so often.

Here's a good example:

Campaign Promise:

Kill the Keystone Pipeline (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-biden-keystone/democrat-biden-says-he-would-kill-keystone-xl-pipeline-idUSKBN22U2YZ)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...climate-crisis/

Now, the Keystone Pipeline example is pretty clear cut, and I know some of his campaign promises and his effort on them are more controversial - so I also see this thread as a place to discuss if a promise was kept, and why or why not. Try to keep discussion limited where possible to this specific context, though, instead of a referendum of Biden in general. Hopefully this thread can develop into a good resource to refer back to during discussions elsewhere in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Placeholder

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Placeholder

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Promise: $2000 checks

Actual: $1400 checks + $600 already promised to equal $2000

Truth: That's some BS. And then saying he's open to negotiation for his overall proposal to work with GOP to pass something in the spirit of bipartisanship.

For gently caress's sake leave the GOP behind and do some good for people and give yourself a fighting chance in 2022 and be an actual party. I get the centrists are an organization to keep the left down and give into the right to move the country to where they want go go but for once actually do some good for the country and your own party.

Meet the moment, Dems.

Biden himself has some good moves done with Executive Orders. Need the party to do something legit for once. Specifically Manchin and Sinema.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Promise: Day one task force to reunite families from the border camps.

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523360-biden-proposes-task-force-to-reunite-migrant-families-on-day-one-of

quote:

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden's campaign in a new ad on Thursday pledged to form a task force that would reunite migrant families separated during the Trump administration.

"On his first day as president, Joe Biden will issue an executive order creating a federal task force to reunite these children with their parents," the one-minute long ad says.

The spot, titled "Separated," is running in the swing states of Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Nevada.

Actual: No such order has been signed, also for some reason apparently it's going to be headed by FLOTUS if it does happen? Extremely unserious plan.

Truth: The guy who was VP when the camps were built seems to not actually be putting much effort into bringing justice to the people harmed by them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

Promise: Day one task force to reunite families from the border camps.

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523360-biden-proposes-task-force-to-reunite-migrant-families-on-day-one-of

Actual: No such order has been signed, also for some reason apparently it's going to be headed by FLOTUS if it does happen? Extremely unserious plan.

Truth: The guy who was VP when the camps were built seems to not actually be putting much effort into bringing justice to the people harmed by them.

This feels like an extremely lovely attempt at disinformation.

The order to end border separations was signed already on tuesday, the order to reunite families is waiting until Alejandro Mayorkas is sworn in as head of homeland security so Alejandro Mayorkas can be named head of the taskforce. trying to spin that as walking back the order is just flat out intentional lying.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Campaign Promise:

$15 an Hour Minimum Wage

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden endorsed a $15-an-hour federal minimum wage and an option for anyone to buy into Medicare in his first 2020 presidential campaign speech on Monday.

Speaking before a union audience in Pittsburgh, Biden said it’s “well past time that the minimum wage nationally be a minimum of $15.” The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 an hour since 2009.

Status: Biden pushing for it to be in the covid relief bill

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Democratic push to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour has emerged as an early flashpoint in the fight for a $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package, testing President Joe Biden’s ability to bridge Washington’s partisan divides as he pursues his first major legislative victory.

Biden called for a $15 hourly minimum wage during his campaign and has followed through by hitching it to a measure that, among other things, calls for $1,400 stimulus checks and $130 billion to help schools reopen. Biden argues that anyone who holds a full-time job shouldn’t live in poverty, echoing progressives in the Democratic Party who are fully on board with the effort.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The order to end border separations was signed already on tuesday, the order to reunite families is waiting until Alejandro Mayorkas is sworn in as head of homeland security so Alejandro Mayorkas can be named head of the taskforce. trying to spin that as walking back the order is just flat out intentional lying.

Is the point of the thread actually tracking what's been done? Or just creating a correct the record spreadsheet so any time someone says "Wasn't Joe supposed to get the kids out of cages?" folks have a verrit code for "Actually he only promised to investigate starting a committee to explore possible options to switch detention center vendors. #promiseskept"
Like it's cool if "Actually he can't do that day one, here's what needs to happen first.." is the reality, but that still makes a promise to do something on day one a broken promise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Speaking of flat out lying, this post, and I'd love to know what you're implying with that first line. The thread's about keeping track of promises, when he finally gets around to doing the thing he promised to do day one I'll acknowledge that he only lied about the timeframe.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Campaign Promise: Triple funding for Title I schools and specifically use some of that money to directly increase teacher pay. For reference, on average, this would be an extra $1,000 per child for low income schools, usually tracked by free and reduced lunch.

Current Status: Biden has continued to talk about it as has the administration. So, it's definitely not been minimized or walked back yet, but there's also not a clear plan for it. It's something you could imagine being a signature policy goal for Biden without Covid, but alas. There has also been rumbling about using Title I funding for securing internet enabled devices for students. That's good, but that should mean we're multiplying Title I by six, not having multiple ideas fight over the same funding.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Promise: reverse the Muslim ban

Action: reversed the Muslim ban

Promise: reverse the transgender military ban

Action: reversed the transgender military ban

Promise: end the "remain in Mexico" policy

Action: ended the "remain in Mexico" policy

Promise: repeal the global gag rule

Action: repealed the global gag rule

Promise: reverse the Mexico City abortion policy

Action: reversed the Mexico City abortion policy

Promise: require facemasks on federal land

Action: executive order requiring facemasks on federal land

Promise: require facemasks on transportation under federal authority

Action: executive order requiring facemasks on transportation under federal authority

Promise: expand availability of the plans of affordable care act

Action: expanded availability of the plans of the affordable care act

Promise: extend eviction moratorium

Action: eviction moratorium extended to September 1

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pick posted:

Promise: reverse the Muslim ban

Action: reversed the Muslim ban

Promise: reverse the transgender military ban

Action: reversed the transgender military ban

Promise: end the "remain in Mexico" policy

Action: ended the "remain in Mexico" policy

Promise: repeal the global gag rule

Action: repealed the global gag rule

Promise: reverse the Mexico City abortion policy

Action: reversed the Mexico City abortion policy

Promise: require facemasks on federal land

Action: executive order requiring facemasks on federal land

Promise: require facemasks on transportation under federal authority

Action: executive order requiring facemasks on transportation under federal authority

Promise: expand availability of the plans of affordable care act

Action: expanded availability of the plans of the affordable care act

Promise: extend eviction moratorium

Action: eviction moratorium extended to September 1

Do you have a source for the 2nd eviction extension/when it was bumped to September? I'm only finding his March extension.
Also is there a particular reason you double-dipped on the Mexico City rule/Global Gag order?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

Do you have a source for the 2nd eviction extension/when it was bumped to September? I'm only finding his March extension.

March is an executive order, september is in the covid relief bill.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Campaign Promise: End US support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen (https://joebiden.com/joe-biden-and-the-arab-american-community-a-plan-for-partnership/, backup source in case his campaign site changes/gets removed: https://www.justsecurity.org/73798/biden-must-stick-to-his-pledge-to-end-us-support-for-the-yemen-war/)

Current Status: Started to fulfill, but still has a ways to go? Biden has currently paused arms sales to Saudi Arabia and UAE to review them (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/bidens-pause-on-gulf-weapons-sales-and-the-us-saudi-relationship.html).

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 1, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

March is an executive order, september is in the covid relief bill.

The version of which containing the extension hasn't passed yet, right? So as of today the moratorium is march 31st -per Biden's EO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trump promised Biden would kill God. Kinda feels like he did it but I'm not sure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)