Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Of all the days you've had since you first joined the Guard, since you took the oath and were given a cloak of your own, this might be one of the worst. The injuries, the soaked, mud-caked fur, the aches and bruises, those are hardly worth mentioning. Even the dull gnaw of hunger can be pushed away to a corner of your mind as long as you have something else to focus on. Grief, sorrow, regret... those are harder to ignore. You aren't completely alone with your thoughts, at least. Two other mice are here with you, taking shelter from the pounding rain under the thin cover the canopy provides.

"Thank you for your assistance." When the plain-looking mouse before you speaks, her words are quiet and measured, punctuated by long periods of deep thought. "Had you not been there to aid us..." Her eyes turn to the slender tanfur not far away, gathering wood for your small, flickering fire. He's barely more than a child, still limping and favoring one side, but when he sees two of his elders looking at him, he stands up straighter, and does his level best to look strong and mature. It almost works. Almost.

"My name is Thaw." She bows as she introduces herself, as much as she can while resting with her back against a tree. Her injuries are worse than the boy's, and she's only slightly better at hiding it. "The tenderpaw is Barley. He isn't much of a conversationalist, but I don't doubt that he's grateful for your presence."

1) "We both are."
1A) [Fearless] "Any Guard would have done the same in my position."
1B) [Compassionate] "And I am grateful for both of yours."
1C) [Bitter] "Don't thank me. Not right now."
1D) [Quiet] Say nothing.
1X) [???] Write-in

"If you insist." She shakes her head, looking at you, appraising you, and you take the chance to do the same. Your initial assessment wasn't wrong, per se, she does look very plain, on the surface. But there's a way she carries herself that no city mouse can.

[Guardmouse] The clasp on her berry-blue cloak marks her as a Patrol Leader. Thaw is, you now realize, your direct superior. At least for the moment.

2) "How long have you been with the Guard?"
2A) [Young] "Only just got my cloak this past winter."
2B) [Determined] "Coming up on ten years now."
2C) [Oldfur] "Long enough to stop counting."

"I see." Thaw is quiet again for a while longer, crossing her arms and furrowing her brow. Her ears lower slightly as she loses herself in thought, mumbling under her breath. When she finally looks back up at you, you don't quite know how to read her expression. "I might have a plan. I'm going to ask you a question, and I need you to be honest. No bragging, no shame, no modesty. Understand?"

You nod, slightly taken back by her sudden intensity.

3) "Tell me your greatest strength as a Guard."
3A) [Pathfinder/Scout] "I'm quick, quiet, and never get lost."
3B) [Loremouse/Healer] "Those wounds of yours didn't bandage themselves."
3C) [Survivalist/Weather Watcher] "Keeping us warm, dry, and fed."
3D) [Cook/Persuader] "People say I'm easy to get along with?"
3E) [Fighter/Hunter] "Violence."
3X) [???/???] Write-in

Holding inadvisable armfuls of wood, Barley returns before Thaw can respond to your answer. She turns her attention back to the tenderpaw, who's brushing bits of damp bark and leaves off the pale fur on his stomach. "Good work, Barley, but what have I told you about pushing yourself too hard? Sit down for a while. I was just getting to know-" Thaw stops, realizing she skipped over a small but crucial step in your conversation.

4) "I never actually asked your name, did I?"
4X) Write-in name, gender, fur color(s), cloak color, and one distinguishing feature. (A scar, an accessory, etc.)
4Y) Optional: Pick a weapon of choice. Sword, spear, axe, dagger, bow, or hook & line.

Votes
1) "We both are."
2) "How long have you been with the Guard?"
3) "Tell me your greatest strength as a Guard."
4) "I never actually asked your name, did I?"

Don't worry if you don't know much about Mouse Guard. This is going to be slower-paced than some of my previous CYOAs, with more focus on exploration and quiet character moments. They're things I'd like to improve on as a writer, and there's only one way to get good at something.

[Home] [Next]

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

1A
2A
3A

4: Reed is two toned brown and tan furred, wearing a cloak that is dull gray with frayed edges. He wears a necklace with a circle pendant of glass and metal that he can use as a spyglass. Favors a sword but can use a dagger.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1C
2B
3C

Our bittermouse is named Halfclaw. She's a large mouse with off-white fur and a style that likes red accessories, such as the ladybird pendant around her neck. She was named Halfclaw because she was born with two missing toes on her left foot

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1B
2C
3B
4 Sharp
is off-white of fur, criss-crossed with several old scars, They wear a faded light grey cloak, and their favored weapon is their axe.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
1A2A3E

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Toughy posted:

1A
2A
3A

4: Reed is two toned brown and tan furred, wearing a cloak that is dull gray with frayed edges. He wears a necklace with a circle pendant of glass and metal that he can use as a spyglass. Favors a sword but can use a dagger.

Sounds good

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
1. B
2. B
3. E
Feel like a specialty in violence could lead to this being Mouse Monster Hunter.
4: We are Reed, a mouse whose vibrant white fur has always made us very poor at stealth, something exacerbated by our bright red cloak. With little hope of hiding from our enemies, we became very good at wielding our axe, a weapon we have had more and more difficulty wielding over the past year, after we got a burr hook stuck in our left arm, which the healers told us was in too deep and could cause muscle damage if removed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

1D
2A
3A

4 - Shye has grey fur with a white underbelly. She uses a bow and has lost fur on her left forepaw because of it, but is otherwise too young to have any other scars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Voting closed while I throw something special together.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
D
C
C
Reed

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's the point of using a cool-rear end picrew for character art if you don't take advantage of it?

That's right, it's proper character selection time!

A)

Key Skills: Fighter, Pathfinder, Scout
Traits: Fearless, Young
Belief: Anything can be overcome with a strong heart and a little faith.
Instinct: Always be ready to lend a paw.

B)

Key Skills: Hunter, Survivalist, Weather Watcher
Traits: Bitter, Determined
Belief: Respect nature, because it does not respect you.
Instinct: Don't hesitate to do what needs to be done.

C)

Key Skills: Fighter, Healer, Loremouse
Traits: Compassionate, Oldfur
Belief: Speak softly and carry a big axe.
Instinct: Look out for the young ones first.

D)

Key Skills: Hunter, Pathfinder, Scout
Traits: Quiet, Youthful
Belief: Take the time to do it right.
Instinct: Never draw unnecessary attention.

Please vote for one of these four to be our protagonist!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 3, 2021

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, gotta go D.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

C. Sharp is a cool mouse and I want to be their friend.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
C

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C looks amazing. A mouse fighter good enough to get to be the oldest, protective of everyone younger, with no end of stories.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C looking Sharp bro

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

code:
A) 2
B) 0
C) 4
D) 1
Sharp is currently winning, but I'll keep it open for a while yet.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

D

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Also awesome pics!!!

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
C I shall throw in for Sharp.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Toughy posted:

A

Also awesome pics!!!
I wish I could take credit. I'm using this picrew, which is absolutely fantastic and I fully recommend to anyone who's playing in or running a Mouse Guard game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, that seems about as definitive as it's going to get. Closing the vote and working on the OP and the next post.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"We as Guard offer all that we are to protect the sanctity of our species, the freedom of our kin, and the honor of our ancestors. With knowledge, sword, and shield, we do these deeds, never putting a lone mouse above the needs of all, or the desire of self above another. We strive for no less than to serve the greatest good."
- The Guard's Oath

Overview
Being glib, Mouse Guard like Redwall, except instead of weird race politics, everything is bigger than you and wants to eat you. The Mouse Guard themselves are somewhere between the Rangers of the North and the Pony Express, blazing trails, delivering mail, and driving away predators, all to keep their society's fragile peace alive. It's a series about unity and brotherhood and the sacrifices individuals make for the good of the many.

It is also a series where horned owls are as big as dragons and will happily eat you whole. You are, after all, just a mouse.

Everything else you need to know about the setting can be picked up from context or will be introduced when it becomes relevant. Rather than focus on a grand, overarching plot or a tense, concrete narrative like my previous CYOAs, RSSH will take a slower pace, with more focus on the journey, the environments, and interaction with the characters. Behind the curtain, it will be running on a simplified version of the official Mouse Guard RPG. Don't worry too much about specific numbers or precise strategy, Mouse Guard is a narrative game first and foremost and I intend to keep with that. (Though if you are interested in the numbers, feel free to check out #not-redwall in the SomethingAwful CYOA Discord server.)

There isn't much else to say that isn't true of most CYOAs. Mostly text-based, inconsistent update schedule, and so on. All character art is made with this lovely Picrew by S. Masutake, sometimes edited slightly. Other pictures and art will be rare, as part of my reason for running this CYOA in particular is to get better at descriptive writing, especially about natural settings.

Table of Contents
Character Sheet
Dramatis Personae

Game Events (Each link is the start of a scene.)
Spring, 1155
Thaw and Barley

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 3, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Character Sheet

Personal
Belief: Speak softly and carry a big axe.
Instinct: Look out for the young ones first.
Goal: We're still working on that one.

Mechanical
Health: 3
Will: 5
Conditions: Hungry, Injured
Skills: Fighter, Healer, Loremouse
Traits: Compassionate, Oldfur
Gear: Axe, bandages, poultice

Notes

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 14, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dramatis Personae
Updated at the end of each scene.

???

???

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 3, 2021

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Halfclaw is great but everybody knows I'm an axeman and Sharp's expression is just unbelievably perfect for showing how happy they are to be wielding that axe. Much like the expression I wear when I'm wielding one. So, even though voting is closed I'm declaring myself a Sharpie.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Hm thryre all good little mice perhaps we'll hear from them later?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

vorebane posted:

Hm thryre all good little mice perhaps we'll hear from them later?

Imagine, finding a rightpost in the games room... who'da thunk it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

1B
2C
3B
4 Sharp
is off-white of fur, criss-crossed with several old scars, They wear a faded light grey cloak, and their favored weapon is their axe.
Once the fire is stoked and Barley has come to sit with you, you answer Thaw's questions in more detail. Guardmice do not live as long as you have without learning how to defend themselves, or how to care for the wounds that inevitably follow. While your list of practical skills unfortunately ends there, Thaw is somewhat encouraged by the broad base of knowledge your experiences will provide. You expect her to ask more about what those experiences might be, but the patrol leader is quick to return the subject to the situation at paw.

"We have a decision to make, Sharp. Barley, can you pass me the map?" He does so, pulling a folded parchment out of a pocket in his cloak, and she offers it to you in turn, pointing to the general area she estimates the three of you ended up in.

"My patrol's mission was to check on Dorigift. We haven't heard so much as a request for mail delivery since first snowfall."

[Loremouse] Dorigift and Gilpledge have always been some of the more self-sufficient settlements in the territories, especially since the Weasel Wars, and the... difficult decisions that had to be made about troop deployment. It isn't beyond the realm of imagination that they might have finally decided to secede entirely, or at least attempt to. But this far south, and this close to the scent border, there are other, much more worrying possibilities.

"They may need the Guard's aid," You summarize, and she nods. "Possibly more than we can give in our condition."

"Precisely. Alternatively, we could return to Sprucetuck, and send a runner back to Lockhaven informing them of the situation. It would give us an opportunity to rest and resupply, but if something did happen to Dorigift, and we delay even longer? Even if they do survive whatever situation they're in, they may finally decide they have nothing to gain from the alliance."

1) "I would like to ask for your wisdom before I make my decision."
1A) Push on to Dorigift. If the fate of an entire settlement is at stake, something must be done as soon as possible.
1B) Return to Sprucetuck. Better to arrive late at full strength than to rush and accomplish nothing but a hasty death.
1C) Neither. Leave Thaw and Barley and return to your own mission. [Blocked by Compassionate]
1X) Write-in

"Regardless of our choice, there is another problem. Dahlia was our pathfinder, and without her..." Thaw pauses mid-sentences, and closes her eyes. There are flickers of difficult, pained emotions across her face, but they fade as she takes a breath and continues, "If we take a direct route, we'll be flying blind, and there's no telling what the mudslides have done to the geography. On the other paw, heading north-east until we found the main paths again would be safer, but we'd be adding at least a few days to our journey, and I don't know that what rations we have left would last that long."

2) "Which enemy do we risk provoking? Nature, or time?"
2A) Take the straight shot. You cannot afford any more delays.
2B) Return to the known paths. The risk of going off-course is too great.
2X) Write-in

[Prev] [Home]

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 14, 2021

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

1A
2A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1a2a

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

1A

2A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

1a
2b

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1A
2A

Any help is better than none and the sooner we’re there the sooner we can determine what else is needed, what else to send for if the task is truly beyond us.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

1A
2B, but go fast? I don't know how travel works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

2d6 posted:

A) 6
B) 2

Votes closed! Expect something probably tomorrow.