Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking for a thread to talk about old poo poo that you enjoy and easy to teach games for social interaction. Could not find one, so I made this one. If I am in the wrong place, kindly direct me where to go so that I can post there and not pollute this place too much.

Anyway, what type of games do you like to introduce to someone who doesn’t play a lot of games? Today I was in an area where there was a wait. I always have a deck of cards on me I taught someone Oklahoma Gin Rummy in order to pass the time. When I have an odd number I like to introduce Yaniv, when I have four I either teach crazy eights (with the follow, skip, reverse, draw two, snd the jokers being used anytime except with the previous cards) or spades.

If we are meeting with people (for whatever reason) or family come to town, I like to give Qwixx away. We’ve given it away for Halloween and had a great deal of success. People who haven’t played games in a long time have fallen in love with it.

What light games do you like to play?

What light games do you like to teach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My family is big on Pass the Pigs. It's really easy to pick up and play, but to make the game truly great you need to advertise it through your energy. Then people get really caught up in it and it just becomes a lot of fun. And to a certain degree, there's not much skill you can employ - so as a "serious" game it's not too great but for family gettogethers it runs really well.

My wife's family loves "games" but there is not really a lot of patience for anything too complicated, which is why Pass the Pigs works really well for them too. The person running the game can easily do all the math for people, all they need to know is "roll pigs, aim for 100 points." There is also a "big pigs" version of the game that we run with her grandparents so it's easier for them to see what's going on.

Unfortunately though, for them this is about as complex for rules as we are allowed to get. I will be following this thread with great interest. Every time we go over someone has picked up a game from Dollar General and they tend to not be fun at all... but I'm not sure where to go from there. They play a lot of bingo and LCR, which are kind of 0-player "games." Help!

e: I should say another great feature of Pass the Pigs is that it supports an unlimited number of players. Not enough fun games do!

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

My family is big on Pass the Pigs. It's really easy to pick up and play, but to make the game truly great you need to advertise it through your energy. Then people get really caught up in it and it just becomes a lot of fun. And to a certain degree, there's not much skill you can employ - so as a "serious" game it's not too great but for family gettogethers it runs really well.

My wife's family loves "games" but there is not really a lot of patience for anything too complicated, which is why Pass the Pigs works really well for them too. The person running the game can easily do all the math for people, all they need to know is "roll pigs, aim for 100 points." There is also a "big pigs" version of the game that we run with her grandparents so it's easier for them to see what's going on.

Unfortunately though, for them this is about as complex for rules as we are allowed to get. I will be following this thread with great interest. Every time we go over someone has picked up a game from Dollar General and they tend to not be fun at all... but I'm not sure where to go from there. They play a lot of bingo and LCR, which are kind of 0-player "games." Help!

e: I should say another great feature of Pass the Pigs is that it supports an unlimited number of players. Not enough fun games do!

Introduce Qwixx to them. Every non gamer I’ve given it to has fallen in love with it. Also since they like bingo, go with the bingo with strategy game of qwingo. I always love giving that to groups of more than two.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You are in the right friend place!

I grew up playing traditional card games a lot. My folks made it a point when I was young to go out camping on a really regular basis and absent anything else to do I would often read until it was too dark or play 'according to Hoyle' with my old man and my cousins.

Usually we played something like Gin Rummy, but also Canasta. When I was in high school I used to play a lot of Speed and Pusoy Dos (also known as Chor Dai Dee, big2, etc.), Hearts, but never really got into Spades. Bridge was too galaxy brained for most of us, plus technically we were supposed to be in class or were waiting for the next period so we just kinda had to make do with a game you could scrub at any time.

One thing I never got into but I have no real idea why (maybe because it was very noisy and we tended to play late into the night or in common areas) were dice games like Yahtzee, or games with a lot of moving parts that were hard to find in the dark / in the dirt / etc. like Scrabble.

I hold a great love for those all in one board game stashes that are made out of wood and felt that you can take with you. I really should get another copy of Hoyle's, because it also has so much other neat games to play with one or two packs of cards. Also, taught me how to riffle!

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

aldantefax posted:

You are in the right friend place!

I grew up playing traditional card games a lot. My folks made it a point when I was young to go out camping on a really regular basis and absent anything else to do I would often read until it was too dark or play 'according to Hoyle' with my old man and my cousins.

Usually we played something like Gin Rummy, but also Canasta. When I was in high school I used to play a lot of Speed and Pusoy Dos (also known as Chor Dai Dee, big2, etc.), Hearts, but never really got into Spades. Bridge was too galaxy brained for most of us, plus technically we were supposed to be in class or were waiting for the next period so we just kinda had to make do with a game you could scrub at any time.

One thing I never got into but I have no real idea why (maybe because it was very noisy and we tended to play late into the night or in common areas) were dice games like Yahtzee, or games with a lot of moving parts that were hard to find in the dark / in the dirt / etc. like Scrabble.

I hold a great love for those all in one board game stashes that are made out of wood and felt that you can take with you. I really should get another copy of Hoyle's, because it also has so much other neat games to play with one or two packs of cards. Also, taught me how to riffle!

Qwixx feels like an old game. It’s got interesting decisions despite being extremely simple. Glad that somebody likes classic games as well.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I heard from Cool Tools, Kevin Kelly's newsletter about just stuff that people find neat and dice games like Tenzi, Qwixx, and Cee-lo seem to be pretty nice. I'm definitely more on the dice goblin side and walking around with some dice to get a quick, teachable game going is something I'd definitely consider if I was out and about again.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Baron Munchhausen is pretty good as a family / party game ~ each player has a small number of coins. when it's your turn you have to tell a story based on a cue someone gives you (ie how you dug your way out of a floating castle on the moon etc) and people can spend a coin to interrupt you with a question (in the hopes it will throw you off) ~ your goal is to tell a good story without running out of steam. It's good fun and when people get the hang of it it's very creative. I bet you could easily amend it for other settings like star trek or cyberpunk or misc nerd thing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2470/extraordinary-adventures-baron-munchausen

Another fun game is Jenga roleplaying: you play a (usually stressful) scenario based around a short idea ~ like a Zombie apocalypse or being trapped on a desert island after a plane crash etc. and when you want to do something you have to pull a brick. If you get the stick you succeed, and if you mess it up something VERY BAD happens. It's great for one shot evening games with friends, where you want to have fun but don't want to be bogged down in minutiae or rules etc. I can't remember exactly but I kinda feel like someone here invented it or maybe I heard about it here.

Roleplaying with weapons: You play a regular game like D&D or whatever, and you all have toy guns / swords lying around. trick is, if people do stuff with em, you count it as their characters doing it IN GAME. It's a really hilarious way to watch players accidently flourish a sword or shoot themselves in the foot or start a fight based on bad body posture. It's amazing how much players fidget even when they warn you, and it's a good way to show how weapons have uses beyond hurting people (as intimidation tools).

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

xutech posted:

Baron Munchhausen is pretty good as a family / party game ~ each player has a small number of coins. when it's your turn you have to tell a story based on a cue someone gives you (ie how you dug your way out of a floating castle on the moon etc) and people can spend a coin to interrupt you with a question (in the hopes it will throw you off) ~ your goal is to tell a good story without running out of steam. It's good fun and when people get the hang of it it's very creative. I bet you could easily amend it for other settings like star trek or cyberpunk or misc nerd thing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2470/extraordinary-adventures-baron-munchausen

Another fun game is Jenga roleplaying: you play a (usually stressful) scenario based around a short idea ~ like a Zombie apocalypse or being trapped on a desert island after a plane crash etc. and when you want to do something you have to pull a brick. If you get the stick you succeed, and if you mess it up something VERY BAD happens. It's great for one shot evening games with friends, where you want to have fun but don't want to be bogged down in minutiae or rules etc. I can't remember exactly but I kinda feel like someone here invented it or maybe I heard about it here.

Roleplaying with weapons: You play a regular game like D&D or whatever, and you all have toy guns / swords lying around. trick is, if people do stuff with em, you count it as their characters doing it IN GAME. It's a really hilarious way to watch players accidently flourish a sword or shoot themselves in the foot or start a fight based on bad body posture. It's amazing how much players fidget even when they warn you, and it's a good way to show how weapons have uses beyond hurting people (as intimidation tools).

I’ve seen that story telling game before, it looked neat!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I play a lot of Cribbage recently. Somehow never learned it growing up despite it always being included in those "10-in-1 classic board game" sets. I even taught the wife and we play sometimes too despite her not really being a board game person. Highly recommended.

BSN_tg_bgg
Jan 17, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

I play a lot of Cribbage recently. Somehow never learned it growing up despite it always being included in those "10-in-1 classic board game" sets. I even taught the wife and we play sometimes too despite her not really being a board game person. Highly recommended.

I love it, just haven’t played it in a while because I keep exploring other card games.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There are some parlor games in Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord which are very close to backgammon, but not quite, which is kind of silly to me that they didn't want to use backgammon, but like, the backgammon which everybody in Calradia knows and plays by the fire* (if you are a noble and can afford a fire).

There seems to be a lot of classic games that are based around the abstract concept of racing and also pacing. Ludo, Backgammon, Cribbage, and Ur are all about trying to race strategically to get all your pieces off the board.

I guess I should explain Pusoy Dos and how we used to play it back in the day as soon as I can find a decent video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Pusoy Dos (chor dai dee, big2, etc.)

quote:

Pusoy dos (or Filipino poker, also known as chikicha or sikitcha), a variation of big two, is a popular type of "shedding" card game with origins in the Philippines. The object of the game is to be the first to discard one's hand by playing them to the table. If one cannot be first to play all cards, then the aim is to have as few cards as possible. Cards can be played separately or in certain combinations using poker hand rankings. Games of Pusoy Dos can be played by three or four people. --Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusoy_dos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73vtUCCDEo (warning: flashing lights at the start/end of the video. Demo starts at 0:06 and ends at 1:54)

You play typically with 4 players and deal a whole deck out. Back in the high school days, we played suit ranking from best to worst as follows:

Spades, Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds

Basically, you play poker hands, and force other people to pass if they can't beat you. If the whole table passes, you can play whatever you want. This is very similar to President/rear end in a top hat (US/NA), Daihinmin (JP) without the 'drafting' aspects of those games.

Generally speaking no money was involved in these games and once you got into the swing of it, games moved pretty fast because you were able to count cards extremely quickly since the entire deck was played out. If someone played a 3 of a kind, the only way someone had another card that was usable as anything other than a single was as a straight or flush, and if you had that card you knew what was up. Since play was very fast (usually a hand took about 5 to 10 minutes), you could really bang out a whole host of hands during a lunch break super easy.

We never really kept score from one hand to another, but we did generally play for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, which very rapidly changes the game resolution. If we didn't have enough people, we'd do 3-player, but it wasn't quite the same game (not that we cared, we were bored high school students, after all).

After a certain point we didn't even really say anything anymore except the kinds of things high schoolers would say around a table, and it was mostly gettable with very minimal rules modifications - everybody 'knew' how to play it back in the day. You could teach it to someone in about five minutes and a deck of cards, and thanks to the fact that we were all very bored high school students all the time, we generally played every chance we got until a teacher rolled by and shouted at us to look busy doing something else for a little while.

There really wasn't a 'meta' game as a result because everybody would try to play as optimally as possible, but I suppose the general strategy was to play your weakest cards as early as possible or only after everybody had passed. Sometimes people would stunt on others by playing the last card out as the weakest card, which was always a bit funny because you usually knew when you were screwed by that point and you didn't see the weak cards played out.

The game also never really fell out of style - this was the 90s-early-00s when we played in the San Francisco Bay Area, which had a very strong Asian immigrant and Asian-American population including a large amount of SEA folks from the Philippines. However, as people graduated and moved away nobody ever went to other places to try and get a game started back up. People would, if they were in the area, swing by to play Pusoy Dos with the other folks though if they were bored since we lived in a pretty small town.

I always found the game pretty fun and I'd probably love to play it again with people if I had the chance to do so. The only other real equivalent I could find play for online was via Riichi Mahjong with folks on voice chat, and that game is way more complex, but also kind of the same since it had to do with knowing what everybody else had and trying to make your melds for 1st place, with the extra dimensionality of betting and all the other goofy poo poo that it has going on.