Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i think it's important to keep the threadban available as a tool for cspam's brave mujahideen warfighters, so they can protect us from our enemies, Those Fuckers, and i therefore vote to include ten billion dollars for the cpsam advanced threadbanning technology initiative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Dustcat posted:

i think it's important to keep the threadban available as a tool for cspam's brave mujahideen warfighters, so they can protect us from our enemies, Those Fuckers, and i therefore vote to include ten billion dollars for the cpsam advanced threadbanning technology initiative

this is what i dont understand, is it like a real thing or do the mods have to rely on reports

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SchnorkIes posted:

this is what i dont understand, is it like a real thing or do the mods have to rely on reports

no, there's no threadban feature in the forums code afaik. if there is, it's not in use in cspam.

threadbans are not something we use much because they're kind of silly and a pain to enforce. but sometimes they make sense, and by that point it's not usually a surprise to the posters and the mods talk about it first

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Crusty Nutsack posted:

no, there's no threadban feature in the forums code afaik. if there is, it's not in use in cspam.

threadbans are not something we use much because they're kind of silly and a pain to enforce. but sometimes they make sense, and by that point it's not usually a surprise to the posters and the mods talk about it first

people gotta learn their lessons better than that, it seems like a lot of work for everyone vs just using existing formal systems

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SchnorkIes posted:

people gotta learn their lessons better than that,

we're talking about goons here lol

we most definitely probe people a bunch before anyone is threadbanned, if that's what you mean by "formal systems"

this isn't something that happens often, I can only think of 2 or 3 in place

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

threadbans suck and if someone's really that lovely a human being their posting privileges should be whitelisted to D&D, QCS and e/n instead

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Filthy Hans posted:

threadbans suck and if someone's really that lovely a human being their posting privileges should be whitelisted to D&D, QCS and e/n instead

lol an idiot with time to kill in qcs can do a lot of damage

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
idk if it still exists but there did used to be the "train" where you could get banished from fyad to gbs, and iirc someone once got trained out of tfr

perhaps there can be some kind of train system between here and d&d, after all we love transit don't we folks

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Jose posted:

zdr hid cspam from top bunk wanker on 2016 election night and he had a qcs meltdown about it as a result

lmfao

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

really queer Christmas posted:

Threadbans suck add and should be last resort poo poo, for when someone just refuses to stop making GBS threads up a thread. Otherwise let the posts roam free

Agreed. I threadbanned OOOC from the covid thread after just about everyone in the thread was demanding it for weeks if not months, and after OOOC caught a ton of probes in that thread already. I don’t think I’ve done it other than that.

It’s not formal. Forums bans are possible and then the person can’t even see the forum. AFAIK that’s never been used since I became a mod.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

twoday posted:

Agreed. I threadbanned OOOC from the covid thread after just about everyone in the thread was demanding it for weeks if not months, and after OOOC caught a ton of probes in that thread already. I don’t think I’ve done it other than that.

It’s not formal. Forums bans are possible and then the person can’t even see the forum. AFAIK that’s never been used since I became a mod.

We need to bring back the gbs train so that if people try to post here they post in d&d

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SchnorkIes posted:

We need to bring back the gbs train so that if people try to post here they post in d&d
A threadban (from his own D&D thread) is the reason OOOC ended up here in the first place.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
One thing that is kind of annoying is that people seem to imagine threadbans happening in their mind that never really happened? People will report someone's post with the reason, "threadbanned poster" and then I will look at the rapsheet and find that not only was that poster not banned from that particular thread, they were also never banned from any thread.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Thread banning might prevent pissy slapfights between chronically terrible posters over basically nothing and on those grounds I am opposed to them

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A threadban (from his own D&D thread) is the reason OOOC ended up here in the first place.

they're not sending their best

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Miss mourne he made people mad and it was funny

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

we need to implement a thread MAD button where you can threadban your hated posting enemy but at the cost of you yourself being threadbanned from there as well

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
threadbanning OOCC from the covid thread is lame, imo. i haven't been paying as much attention to the covid thread as usual, but OOCC never posted anything egregiously incorrect. there was a bunch of people saying that OOCC's posts about how bacteria develop antibiotic resistance vs how viruses develop vaccine resistance were wrong, but those people were going off based on a very limited understandings of bacterial response to environmental changes and viral evolution. that is to say, those people were wrong.

tons of people in that thread were asking for OOCC to be threadbanned because they pointed out that the common beliefs of the thread regarding the severity of covid are doomsaying without evidence, which is true. the covid thread just doesn't like being told it's wrong.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

threadbanning OOCC from the covid thread is lame, imo. i haven't been paying as much attention to the covid thread as usual, but OOCC never posted anything egregiously incorrect. there was a bunch of people saying that OOCC's posts about how bacteria develop antibiotic resistance vs how viruses develop vaccine resistance were wrong, but those people were going off based on a very limited understandings of bacterial response to environmental changes and viral evolution. that is to say, those people were wrong.

tons of people in that thread were asking for OOCC to be threadbanned because they pointed out that the common beliefs of the thread regarding the severity of covid are doomsaying without evidence, which is true. the covid thread just doesn't like being told it's wrong.

I hereby request Admiral Ray be threadbaned from the threadban thread

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Admiral Ray posted:

OOCC would downplay everything negative as "doomer" which left him right and wrong about equally often, but not because he was conducting some intelligent analysis, he was just dismissive.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
oocc was not fun.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

SchnorkIes posted:

OOCC would downplay everything negative as "doomer" which left him right and wrong about equally often, but not because he was conducting some intelligent analysis, he was just dismissive.

if he was right and wrong in equal amounts then everyone else was too, tho. like i get it, he can be a sanctimonious prick, but so can everyone else. the only difference was he was doing so while also telling the thread it was wrong. threadbanning for that just seems ridiculous when people can simply set a poster to ignore if they really don't want to read their posts.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
threadbans are a poor replacement for actual bans and paper over historically terrible posters

you got dudes with rapsheets that go back a decade for smothering threads with they boring, unfunny posts. we could charge them ten bux for every post going forward or have a weeks-long process with every new thread they roll out a factory of turd-posts in. hmmmm which is better??

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

if he was right and wrong in equal amounts then everyone else was too, tho. like i get it, he can be a sanctimonious prick, but so can everyone else. the only difference was he was doing so while also telling the thread it was wrong. threadbanning for that just seems ridiculous when people can simply set a poster to ignore if they really don't want to read their posts.

This is a pretty bad false equivalence. The covid thread can occasionally go off the deep end on doomerism and it definitely does assume the worst of any situation but that is a far cry from being constantly aggressive toward people with quackery

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Acelerion posted:

This is a pretty bad false equivalence. The covid thread can occasionally go off the deep end on doomerism and it definitely does assume the worst of any situation but that is a far cry from being constantly aggressive toward people with quackery

OOCC didn't post quackery, at least not that i can remember.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 91 days!
bunp

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Can I get a thread made where I can post to myself but everyone else is thread banned please?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
guy's banned, seems like the issues resolved

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

AxGrap posted:

Can I get a thread made where I can post to myself but everyone else is thread banned please?

it's called schizophrenia op

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 91 days!

AxGrap posted:

there's a whole forum for it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

croup coughfield posted:

there's a whole forum for it

is THAT what post my favvorite is for???? i've never wandered in there oh my god what is this, what is this poo poo!! one of these threads has nearly 1000 pages thats 40000 fuckin posts!!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i can appreciate the effort but jesus christ man

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

rutibex continuing to post about POE in PMF after being banished from the POE thread in games was funny

also his other posts were funny

free him

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

no one wears linen and wool anyway, its too drat hot out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Huh so schnorkles went antivax and got banned like 2 year ago?