Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

February 2nd was the Japanese holiday of Setsubun. I mentioned in the the Welcome Hello & Chat thread and some people responded with neat drawings and it gave me an idea! So okay, first the bad news. We're late to Setsubun, but that's okay! We can still do this!

Setsubun was traditionally held on the day before the first day of spring on the old Japanese calendar, so not unlike Groundhog Day (starring Bill Murray), it serves as a way to welcome in spring. Traditionally people celebrate by having the father of the house, or the person who's birth year it currently is wear an oni (Japanese ogre/demon) mask, usually a cheap plastic one like this

The rest of the household chases them out by throwing dried soybeans at them and chanting "Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi!" (Ogres/demons/evil out! Happiness/good luck in!) Way back in the day people would also put burnt sardine heads on sprigs of holly outside of their homes to ward off the oni. You are then supposed to eat one dry soybean for every year old you are plus one and another one if you have a birthday later in the year since, traditionally, everyone's birthday was on New Year and you were one year old at birth. Also many people eat a sushi roll while facing a prescribed direction for the year and eat it in silence. Although that's newer and probably created by the nori industry. Dad's in oni masks and sometimes more elaborate costumes make kids cry every year!

Here's the idea. Draw us some oni to chase out and bring in a chill spring! I'll wait until maybe the end of the month and then give everyone who's posted their oni a 6er with a picture of their oni so that we can chase them out for a bit! Deadline may shift since there aren't a ton of folks posting in the yob, but I'll communicate that when the time comes. If you post your oni I'll give you a 6er with a picture of your oni so that we can have a lot of good luck here in the YOB! Feel free to post the ones that were already posted in the chat thread.

Here are some examples of oni, you don't have to follow some kind of strict tradition just letting you know. Usually they're red, blue, or sometimes yellow, with one or two horns, sharp teeth with big tusks coming from their lower jaws kinda like Warcraft orcs, usually they also have curly hair, are muscly, wear tiger skin tunics, and carry a large spikey club called a tetsubo.

For more info here is the wiki page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setsubun

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

So, funny story about this. The one I drew for the Welcome Hello & Chat thread really surprised me in how nicely it came out. Like, I can't draw that well, but I couldn't deny that I had drawn it. So I started looking into what it would take to get myself some better tools, and the way I evaluated them was to re-draw a pig troll with a mountain behind...

Unfortunately, none of those drawings got saved. So I'm using this thread as an opportunity to draw a really good (for me) pig troll with a mountain behind.

And that's why I haven't posted yet. But I'm going to! And I think this is a cool thread idea!

nut

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

So, funny story about this. The one I drew for the Welcome Hello & Chat thread really surprised me in how nicely it came out. Like, I can't draw that well, but I couldn't deny that I had drawn it. So I started looking into what it would take to get myself some better tools, and the way I evaluated them was to re-draw a pig troll with a mountain behind...

Unfortunately, none of those drawings got saved. So I'm using this thread as an opportunity to draw a really good (for me) pig troll with a mountain behind.

And that's why I haven't posted yet. But I'm going to! And I think this is a cool thread idea!

No worries! That's part of the reason that I haven't set like a hard deadline. I'm starting to think it'd just be better if I probed people soon after they posts there oni. Is that okay with you nut? What do other people think? I guess at first I thought it'd make more "sense" to do all at once but I also thiink that would make the thread kind of stagnate and have a definitive end instead of just letting it continue on organically.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

nut

i'm cool with anythoing u decide!

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

i'm cool with anythoing u decide!

Thank u.
My power is unyielding! (I'll update the OP!)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

holy loving lol

:worship:

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

Thank u nut. I've always looked up to you as a poster.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

nut posted:

Not gonna top this, but I still wanna draw something

Heather Papps

hello friend

if i had children i'd do setsubun like this:

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

oh heck i was gonna draw one last night but forgot

maybe i will remember tonight??

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

this is the ideal oni body. you may not like it, but this is what peak scariness looks like.

gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Android Blues

girlboss oni

Escape From Noise

Android Blues posted:

girlboss oni

Oh god! I forgot to put your oni in the rap sheet! I'm so sorry!

cruft

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Oh god! I forgot to put your oni in the rap sheet! I'm so sorry!

:mods:

Escape From Noise

Android Blues, would you like me to prove you again with your drawing? I'm in Japan so I could time it for when you're asleep

Android Blues

Android Blues, would you like me to prove you again with your drawing? I'm in Japan so I could time it for when you're asleep

absolutely. put that juicy oni on the sheet

any time is fine but the next 12 hours or so would be extra fine!

Android Blues

primarily though i am concerned that since the oni was not properly targeted in the probation, at least one oni may now be uchi (very abunai)

Escape From Noise

Android Blues posted:

absolutely. put that juicy oni on the sheet

any time is fine but the next 12 hours or so would be extra fine!

Thank you for your understanding in this difficult time as I put the Idiot in Idiot King

frump truck

hello... again!

i can't draw for poo poo but i do want to report that i WAS the oni one time and I ran around with the mask on and elementary school kids threw beans at me. it ruled

setsubun best holiday

Escape From Noise

frump truck posted:

i can't draw for poo poo but i do want to report that i WAS the oni one time and I ran around with the mask on and elementary school kids threw beans at me. it ruled

setsubun best holiday

I can't draw either but I plan to right before I lose my IK status!

Also it's a fun little holiday.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I can't draw and can't afford a probe rn but I also have been the oni and ngl it was the most fun thing ever.

I did get hit on the end of the nose with a rock because the kiddos ran out of beans so one enterprising young child started pelting me with gravel. Next time I am the oni I will run faster than those dang kids.

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

I can't draw and can't afford a probe rn but I also have been the oni and ngl it was the most fun thing ever.

I did get hit on the end of the nose with a rock because the kiddos ran out of beans so one enterprising young child started pelting me with gravel. Next time I am the oni I will run faster than those dang kids.

That, or wear a full face mask

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

That, or wear a full face mask

I require a popemobile enclosure for this.

City of Glompton

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 16, 2021

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

cruft

City of Glompton posted:

:swoon:

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Business Oni

Prof. Crocodile

Escape From Noise

Onierd

biosterous

Prof. Crocodile posted:

lmao at this one

gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

Thanks to all who participated in my goofy lil thread. Merry Setsubun To All

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Thanks to all who participated in my goofy lil thread. Merry Setsubun To All

:love:

Goons Are Gifts