Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Following the success of Tony Hawk's Underground, Neversoft took a different approach for its sequel. Instead of a rise-to-fame story, we're that now-famous New Jerseyan from THUG on a Jackass-styled (and heavily influenced) rampage across the world. The game combines the free-roam approach of THUG with the goal system of classic Pro Skater while ramping up their more anarchic and chaotic elements. Despite being aggressively unfunny in a very 2004 way, the game is still plenty fun to play... depending on what you're doing.

The Story
We're Tiddy, returning from the first Underground and being a baller back home in New Jersey. We and several other pros are suddenly kidnapped by Tony Hawk and Bam Margera for a World Destruction Tour, wherein we do ridiculous and often destructive stunts to get points for our team; the losing team has to pay for the whole trip. Better to obey the guy with the chainsaw, so off we go!

The LP
I take lead for both the Story and Classic modes, both played on Normal due to Sick mode not actually being rewarding, but I will at least do every goal. Due to multiple issues with every other version we tried, we're stuck with the blurry and interlaced PS2 version. JigglyJacob joins me on co-commentary.
Like with American Wasteland, the game's soundtrack has been muted and replaced with my and my Boston-based friends' music. Since there's actually a Boston level in this game, it's finally appropriate.
Music by: ThornBrain | Big Time Kill | smell | Fatigue | Gramlins | Sawtooth | Patrick S. Barry | Surprise Party | Desk | Sun Hat | The Slurred Murrays | Cactus Attack

----------------------

----------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
When you say skateboarding takes a backseat in this game, you're not kidding. My original plan for THUG2 was to see how much of the game could be done without actually being on your board, because it matters so little for the majority of objectives. Not to mention the guest characters that don't even use skateboards.

This also makes the difficulty options in Story Mode really weird, since so few things are actually affected by it. The biggest change is the requirements for increasing your stats, but again, since you don't do a whole lot of skateboarding stuff in the game, the stats don't hold as much relevance anyway. Just a really weird direction for the game to go.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It is funny that the father of street skating basically grandfathered the Jackass franchise which in-turn was the main influence of this game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess it still isn't exactly small but its hard to think of just how big Jackass was back then. Big enough to overshadow almost anything else it was paired with.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Hawkman is 52, and managed to pull off a 720 a few weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1354305117982400514

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Finally, the music replacement fits!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

The Hawkman is 52, and managed to pull off a 720 a few weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1354305117982400514

That's impressive stuff. You can really see how disheartened he's getting from all the failed attempts, but he keeps going. That's some athletic spirit, right there!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

honestly i'm more impressed by how well he takes his bails. just automatically doing a safe and smooth slide on the kneepads! so good

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose one could consider this the best Jackass video game ever made. Anyways Ben Franklin's stance is just great. And I guess Bob wasn't able to schedule any recording days :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

biosterous posted:

honestly i'm more impressed by how well he takes his bails. just automatically doing a safe and smooth slide on the kneepads! so good

Learning how to fall well is a key part of becoming a good skateboarder and a vital part of becoming an old one!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Had an issue with editing, so the footage may look lower quality than it already should.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've occasionally wondered if some Mexican stereotypes are just Spanish stereotypes transported by language but this game is not giving me any new information!

As grating as I find Jackass it does at least provide a way better feeling to the chaos that Tony Hawk games provide.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Barcelona is always the level I think of when I think of this game. Not sure why.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tiddy to Bam: "Oh I'm, so, hap-py to-be stuck-with yoooou~"

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We can't call it Sydney, or we'd have to make it look like something.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The gameplay looks decently entertaining, but I cannot stand almost any of the characters in this game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I feel pretty much the same way. But I also really think that Bam Margera's dumbass antics don't really have a place in a game that's otherwise about skating. ...Especially given that Tony Hawk was 36 when this came out, which really lends a "how do you do fellow kids?" vibe to the whole thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Australia sure didn't get off easy, in fact it may have gotten it worse.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So my though for T.C. was it being a reference to T&C Surf Designs for the NES, but a quick search says that it stands for Team Chicken, and that's a nickname for game developer Chris Rausch.

Also, apparently, he's a hidden skater in THPS4:

https://twitter.com/ChrisRauschNIC/status/1227137824287125504

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Get ready to lose everything!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't really get the idea behind having your team constantly trailing in the story no matter how many stunts you pull off. Especially when you start a zombie apocalypse, recruit the vodouan lord of the dead into your team, then save the world.

But I guess Bam put a scorpion down his pants or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry. Did you not see his Boozed-Up Moron Wagon? That alone was worth more points than everything Tony's team did, combined.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I don't really get the idea behind having your team constantly trailing in the story no matter how many stunts you pull off. Especially when you start a zombie apocalypse, recruit the vodouan lord of the dead into your team, then save the world.

But I guess Bam put a scorpion down his pants or something.

I guess when you are responsible for both starting and ending the apocalypse it sort evens out. Unless that actually is double the Awesome.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Final part of the story mode, and it sure loves its overlong combos down that mountain.

Next week, the first of three parts going through Classic Mode!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
"[Classic Mode] didn't last long, did it?"

It's actually in every game from THUG2 through Proving Ground (and I guess THPSHD), just in different formats.

Project 8 has a full Classic Mode in the PSP version, complete with returning levels. Proving Ground has Classic Mode goals integrated into the world as missions, with the varying difficulties being how many goals you complete in a single run.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I must not have finished all the goals in story mode when I was younger because I have no memory of those bonus "levels."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man I get why the final level in these games is usually some kind of ultimate skate park but it always seems a bit of a step down from the city levels. It being so ramshackle here doesn't help either.

And you know speaking retroactively even though this is a skating game with Jackass in it for something with even a little Jackass there should have been goals about bailing!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First part of Classic Mode, going through the first third of the levels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Size is definitely a factor for the THUG2 levels, or maybe not size but density? Lots of stuff to do everywhere but the stuff you actually need/want to do is spread out quite a ways. I dunno. I am curious how the older levels will compare.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
A good number of the THUG2 levels are big, and a good number of goals can be spread out across those levels. I felt like Barcelona and Berlin were the worst offenders of this. The older games had their share of big levels too (Canada, School II, Downtown, etc), but it wasn't as much of a constant as it became with THPS4 onward due to the change in game design.

It's really just a matter of how many runs you think it should take to get everything done in a level and how much skill you think it should require to do so. I'd put this game's Classic Mode on the same level as the original THPS2, in that regard.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Some old classics return!

That screen isn't there in the remake of School 1, right?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThornBrain posted:

That screen isn't there in the remake of School 1, right?

The screen was moved slightly over into the corner and has a message about the school being closed because of COVID.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

New Orleans having a fair amount of the level on top of buildings didn't help with the layout of a classic series of missions.

Jamesman posted:

The screen was moved slightly over into the corner and has a message about the school being closed because of COVID.

Wait, really?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes our Tony Hawk LPs! If you also want to see us play the Pro Skater 1+2 remake, I already did a pair of livestreams for that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Wait, really?

There's a lot of little things added into the various levels to highlight the pandemic, including being able to put a mask on your skater. There's a plane that flies in Venice with a banner telling you to wear a mask, there's monitors in New York and Downtown with a PSA about it, and some other things in other levels.

ThornBrain posted:

Thus concludes our Tony Hawk LPs! If you also want to see us play the Pro Skater 1+2 remake, I already did a pair of livestreams for that.

No earthquake required for LA. You wallride up the pillar to get the E.

There's also a teleport from the liquor store to the top of the movie theater sign.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh wow, as soon as I saw the "tower poppin" score I remembered the LA level. Between reverts, manuals, and transferring from the upper area to the lower to regain speed I remember being able to get huge (and completely meaningless) scores on LA. Definitely think the classic levels in classic mode fit better.

Anyways despite the occasional second hand embarrassment from the cutscenes that was a neat trip through something I never saw.

Jamesman posted:

There's a lot of little things added into the various levels to highlight the pandemic, including being able to put a mask on your skater. There's a plane that flies in Venice with a banner telling you to wear a mask, there's monitors in New York and Downtown with a PSA about it, and some other things in other levels.

Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for this, and the THAW LPs! Now I have to go watch your THUG 1 LP!