Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powered Descent posted:

I've occasionally wondered: if you were on a balloon in that pleasant part of Venus's upper atmosphere, needing only an oxygen mask, and you fell off -- how long would it take you to die, and would it be the pressure, the temperature, or the sulfuric acid that gets you first? :ohdear:

Find out in Season 4 when an 80 year old Ed Baldwin shoves a Russian over the railing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I've occasionally wondered: if you were on a balloon in that pleasant part of Venus's upper atmosphere, needing only an oxygen mask, and you fell off -- how long would it take you to die, and would it be the pressure, the temperature, or the sulfuric acid that gets you first? :ohdear:

Not exactly what you asked, but:

quote:

Venus:Unfortunately, X-Plane is not capable of simulating the hellish environment near the surface of Venus. But physics calculations give us an idea of what flight there would be like. The upshot is: Your plane would fly pretty well, except it would be on fire the whole time, and then it would stop flying, and then stop being a plane.

The atmosphere on Venus is over 60 times denser than Earth’s, which is thick enough that a Cessna moving at running speed would rise into the air. Unfortunately, the air it’s rising into is hot enough to melt lead. The paint would start melting off in seconds, the plane’s components would fail rapidly, and the plane would glide gently into the ground as it came apart under the heat stress.

A much better bet would be to fly above the clouds. While Venus’s surface is awful, its upper atmosphere is surprisingly Earthlike. 55 kilometers up, a human could survive with an oxygen mask and a protective wetsuit; the air is room temperature and the pressure is similar to that on Earth mountains. You need the wetsuit, though, to protect you from the sulfuric acid. (I’m not selling this well, am I?)

The acid's no fun, but it turns out the area right above the clouds is a great environment for an airplane, as long as it has no exposed metal to be corroded away by the sulfuric acid. And is capable of flight in constant Category-5-hurricane-level winds, which are another thing I forgot to mention earlier.

Venus is a terrible place.

If someone has more scientific sources discussing this, I too am interested!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rappaport posted:

Not exactly what you asked, but:

If someone has more scientific sources discussing this, I too am interested!

Or you could just have a mysterious traveler in the shape of a giant orb come to visit Ed Baldwin and render Venus a habitable paradise

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cojawfee posted:

I just think it would be cool as hell for them to have a cloud base and then they lower people down to the surface in hardened suits with a crane or something.

It's 470 degrees what are we making these suits out of??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

Uuhhhh username/post combo?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
NASA spends billions trying to come up with a suit and a capsule so that Americans can put the first foot on Venus.

Soviets just cut off somebody's foot and crash it onto the surface.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Seems like a plane made of black box would fly well on Venus

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Seems like a plane made of black box would fly well on Venus

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH SPACE FOOD :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd bet big bucks that we get some Seinfeld in season 3, seeing that Sony produced both that show and For All Mankind.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
what's the deal with space shuttle food???

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's a mission about nothing.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
believe it or not, I’m walking on Mars

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

"you just had to order the big rocket!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

“NO Launch for you!”

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
New trailer

https://youtu.be/M4EOW9oqZ4k

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I hope someone punches not-Elon in their smug face

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From the trailer, seems like both that a big chunk of the season will be on Mars, but also that the season is going to span almost a decade? Unless the "Wilson for Senate in '86" is some kind of archive footage, or the first episode speeds through a lot of stuff.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I hope the "resource that can support large scale human colonization" is not the obvious one but friendship :kimchi:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's still a chance that the Chinese secretly get there first.

Bedshaped posted:

I hope the "resource that can support large scale human colonization" is not the obvious one but friendship :kimchi:

It definitely looks like there is a scene where two different teams are helping each other during a dust storm.

I really hope it doesn't have the private team being near the NASA team and they are bickering with each other. I already got enough of that from some other Mars show from the last few years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
They showed Karen in the trailer, and she was not actively loving any of her friends' sons. Storyline confirmed?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

There's still a chance that the Chinese secretly get there first.

It's still alt history, not fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Season 3 thread