Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Hi there friends! I'm homphgomph (Joe), my sister ginko (Katie) along with my good buddies zelgadisA027123 (Jesse) and Ryan will be playing through the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest!

A Let's Play of Ocarina of Time? What's so special about that?
Glad you asked! We'll be playing through cooperatively via Modloader64 using a romhack (via betterOOT) of Ocarina of Time making the dungeons the Master Quest versions. None of us are super familiar with the Master Quest dungeons but we've all played through OoT. Glitches and jank are expected!

Is there anything else different about this playthrough?
Outside of twisting and contorting a 24 year old game to be able to be played cooperatively over the internet, we've also added a couple mods for convenience/challenge/because they're cool
- MM Jumps - Replaced Link's jumps with the cool flips from Majora's Mask
- Fast Time Flow - Make time zoom to the Morning/Night at the push of a button
- Life Transference - Health is synced among players, when someone takes damage, we all take damage.
And maybe a couple more things here and there.

Did you know there are other cooperative Zelda games?
Interesting! We may play through those as well at some point, but right now we’re only committing to Master Quest.

When will you be posting updates?
Updates will be posted once a week on Saturdays, typically one area/dungeon per update, we've already done a decent amount of sessions because our schedules can be difficult to align and I personally like to be consistent with Let's Play updates. We also stream 3 nights a week which can eat into our free time.

Also hey, me and Jesse did a co-op playthrough using an old version of the modloader, if you want to see vanilla OoT co-op'd you can check that out.

Without further ado, let's get to it!

Playlist

Part 1 - The Great Deku Tree (unfortunately Ryan's recording was destroyed, so the first three dungeons will only have 3 of our views)
Part 2 - Dodongo's Cavern
Part 3 - Lord Jabu Jabu
Part 4 - The Forest Temple
Part 5 - The Ice Cavern/Fire Temple
Part 6 - The Bottom of the Well
Part 7 - The Water Temple
Part 8 - The Shadow Temple
Part 9 - The Spirit Temple
Part 10 - Gerudo Trials
Part 11 - Ganon's Castle

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Katie's Art

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 13, 2021

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
*Goku grunts from somewhere offscreen*
*Goku grunts from*Goku grunts from somewhere offscreen* somewhere offscreen*

This is absolutely wonderful, what IS the max number of possible simultaneous players?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is insanely chaotic and I love it.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

"Welcome to my Let's Play of uh... Ocarina of Time."

Four minutes in and I'm grinning like a loon.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

*Goku grunts from*Goku grunts from somewhere offscreen* somewhere offscreen*

This is absolutely wonderful, what IS the max number of possible simultaneous players?

I believe the max you can have is 16 players, which sounds like potential for 16 Goku soundbites overlapping to me!

Teledahn posted:

"Welcome to my Let's Play of uh... Ocarina of Time."

Four minutes in and I'm grinning like a loon.

GOOD I'm glad someone appreciated my attempted bit

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

“I was attempting to do a bit...”

Classic Homphgomph. This seems chaotic; can’t wait to see more.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Kitala posted:

“I was attempting to do a bit...”

Classic Homphgomph. This seems chaotic; can’t wait to see more.

I can't take these folks anywhere, I swear

Time for part 2 in which we split up and search for clues and see some early Master Quest bullshit puzzles.

Part 2 - Dodongo's Cavern

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Breaking out the editing chops for this one!

I also totally missed that these are Master Quest dungeons, for some extra spicy complexity. Having team-backup to fetch hearts probably does make a world of difference, but the downside-risk from shared-health I am hoping will add some hilarity.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

It's kind of impressive how much faster stuff can get done when you're able to be in four different areas at once.

I like the Goron's Crown. :allears:

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Finally finished the picture I've been working on for the first part. I hope everyone has been enjoying the videos.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

ginko posted:

Finally finished the picture I've been working on for the first part. I hope everyone has been enjoying the videos.

Love it. :swoon:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

It's kind of impressive how much faster stuff can get done when you're able to be in four different areas at once.

I like the Goron's Crown. :allears:

I think it would legit be cool to plot out a speedrun for this mod, though theoretically with like 8 players you could just all do a dungeon at once I suppose. But look two players tag teaming dungeons sounds like a lot of fun.

Part 3 - Lord Jabu Jabu

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Not sure if my favorite part in the last video is Jesse forgetting Ruto or Katie pulling out a bomb on Skull Kid.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Kitala posted:

Not sure if my favorite part in the last video is Jesse forgetting Ruto or Katie pulling out a bomb on Skull Kid.

Katie was seeking a challenge so she put her controller config a randomizer, that or she felt threatened by the peaceful skull kid

Time for some adult antics

Part 4 - The Forest Temple

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

homphgomph posted:

Katie was seeking a challenge so she put her controller config a randomizer, that or she felt threatened by the peaceful skull kid

To be fair, the C controls definitely do not translate well to a current gen controller scheme. Though I could have gone back and fixed what I had originally set. That was just laziness on my part.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Part 5 - The Ice Cavern/Fire Temple

In which we we learn how important it is to die fast with shared fairies. The fire temple was a really weird dungeon in Master Quest, several pointless rooms and the usual "hide a torch that needs to be lit" Master Quest puzzle we've come to know and love.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, splitting up to cheese the frog/eyedrops gauntlet was one of my first thoughts about how to exploit multiplayer. (God, I hope somebody who doesn't know OoT reads that sentence.)

That was some magnificent timing on getting the tunics. :allears:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Having never gotten past Jabu Jabu, I wasn't ready for how romhacky Master Quest gets. Extremely tight hookshot timing puzzles for a token? Non load bearing iron knuckles? Hidden torches that need Din's fire?

Four people stumbling through this is the best way to watch it get played.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

Honestly, splitting up to cheese the frog/eyedrops gauntlet was one of my first thoughts about how to exploit multiplayer. (God, I hope somebody who doesn't know OoT reads that sentence.)

That was some magnificent timing on getting the tunics. :allears:

I think the unique way this mod handles some of the flags and what persists in each players games like sword/arrow hit boxes really lends itself to some interesting strategies. It's something I want to really keep in mind as we eventually try something else like this playthrough. I just never think of it at the time :D

pointlessone posted:

Having never gotten past Jabu Jabu, I wasn't ready for how romhacky Master Quest gets. Extremely tight hookshot timing puzzles for a token? Non load bearing iron knuckles? Hidden torches that need Din's fire?

Four people stumbling through this is the best way to watch it get played.

Thank you :) Mentioning that the puzzles get hacky is a great way to segue into...

Part 6 - The Bottom of the Well

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is that literally a pop machine for big gorans sword they put so much effort into that model :allears:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Is that literally a pop machine for big gorans sword they put so much effort into that model :allears:

It's so good! The Pepsiman model might have been my favorite model of the playthrough as you can see by my excited "hey. hey, look my pepsi machine"

The modloader does NOT like four people in the water temple, it turns out...

Part 7 - The Water Temple

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, yeah, you can tell the engine has no idea how to deal with this. At least I don't think there's any other areas in the game quite as... variable? as this one.

I wonder how well Majora's Mask would handle multiplayer if people were on different days.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

Wow, yeah, you can tell the engine has no idea how to deal with this. At least I don't think there's any other areas in the game quite as... variable? as this one.

I wonder how well Majora's Mask would handle multiplayer if people were on different days.

We've been thinking about checking out the Majora's Mask mod actually :) We gotta see if there'll be a day when our schedules allow for it.

I think the the game holds grudges for what we did in the Water Temple, we ended up not even being able to begin the first portion of the Shadow Temple, the first puzzle was bugged and we legitimately couldn't get past it even when solved correctly.

So we played through vanilla Shadow Temple which, still, found a way to give us a unique challenge.

Part 8 - The Shadow Temple

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Boy, this bodes well for the spirit temple!

Honestly, I'm amazed it hasn't puked like this before now, 4 people in a game that sometimes struggled with one is amazing.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Having someone hang around a fairy fountain on healing duty actually seems like a pretty effective strategy.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

pointlessone posted:

Boy, this bodes well for the spirit temple!

Honestly, I'm amazed it hasn't puked like this before now, 4 people in a game that sometimes struggled with one is amazing.

We learned towards the end that the mod doesn't love having more than 2 people in a dungeon at a time, all the flags conflicting really getting funky for folks. Though I think the Master Quest Shadow Temple issue was a result of the romhacker I used where for whatever reason the first puzzle just did not have a solution.

Quantum Toast posted:

Having someone hang around a fairy fountain on healing duty actually seems like a pretty effective strategy.

It's one of those last resort technique because I absolutely love the carnage of all 4 players in there and watching our hearts disappear in an instant because 4 different heroes in 4 different realities got wrecked in subsequent fashion.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Sorry for the delay on this one! This was a beefy episode with lots of things to edit...but here we are. This episode is the best example of how the Modloader really doesn't like more than 2 people in a dungeon at a time...but for the most part we said screw that.

Part 9 - The Spirit Temple

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Excellent synchronized Epona leap by Joe and Ryan at the start there.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Alien Arcana posted:

Excellent synchronized Epona leap by Joe and Ryan at the start there.

This got even more confusing because apparently you don't show up in other people's games if you enter while riding Epona, otherwise it would have looked nuts in our games

Speaking of nuts, boy howdy, these final two episodes were a trip to edit, didn't seem right to only post Gerudo Trials and then dose 2 vaccine lethargy hit me pretty hard last week, hence the delay! BUT here they are, and crashes, recording issues and glitches abound as we push our way through to the finale of this incredible mess.

Part 10 - Gerudo Trials
Part 11 - Ganon's Castle

We will look to eventually pick up Majora's Mask at some point! But that won't be for a bit because I'd like some sessions to work as a buffer, but we are definitely excited to give it a go. As always thanks for watching everybody and we will be back soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Glad the game managed to hold together enough to stay entertaining and not frustrating, though the puzzle checkpointing helps.