Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've tried the pen aid mixed barrage, firing the salvo manually, but based on my testing, while it was a hassle to execute, the bigger problem was that pen aid didn't reliably increase penetration. It can increase hit rate through a weak PD (but then just firing more cheap missile will increase hits against insufficient PD), but against strong PD, pen aid doesn't reliably help while costing a lot.

Now there is some changes to pen aid themselves, but it remains to be seen if they will be worth the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_EC0OZJY4

New Dev Diary with details on how fleet logistics will work in conquest mode as well as confirmation that you can play conquest against a bot. Personally I am looking to set my discord up as the OpFor for an official Neb discord team.

With the way that mothballed ships and refits are going to work I think shipmancers who can design a solid baseline (a) variant of a ship and then versatile sub variants with minimal changes but the ability to cover new roles will be invaluable.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Co-op conquest campaign eh? I'm off the wagon at the moment but I'll definitely come back for that. Hopefully the in battle AI can can handle more than going point to point...

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://cimsec.org/fighting-dmo-pt-1-defining-distributed-maritime-operations-and-the-future-of-naval-warfare/

Was not expecting to see NFC screencaps in an arms control blog, but here we are.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I've been playing skirmishes versus the AI just to get a grasp on the game. I can do ok with TF Oak or TF Birch, but I have no idea how to use any other starter fleets. I somehow cannot kill anything with missiles, while always getting destroyed by missiles myself.

If some of your ships in a formation automatically switch to HE-RPF to intercept a wave of missiles, is there a way to switch the entire formation back to HE/AP, or do you have to command each ship individually?

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 8, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

I've been playing skirmishes versus the AI just to get a grasp on the game. I can do ok with TF Oak or TF Birch, but I have no idea how to use any other starter fleets. I somehow cannot kill anything with missiles, while always getting destroyed by missiles myself.

If some of your ships in a formation automatically switch to HE-RPF to intercept a wave of missiles, is there a way to switch the entire formation back to HE/AP, or do you have to command each ship individually?

Missile lethality has many factors. Size of warhead, where you are hitting, etc. For bigger ship, the sheer size of the ship and modules on it might make it difficult to kill a ship. Remember you need to kill all DC locker and the bridge to kill, and most people will design their ship so these components are spread as far apart as possible or in the very depth of the ship. If all your missiles hit say, the bow, then the damage might not be able to reach deep enough. This is where KPHE can come in, though I don't think the default fleet uses this.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It is worth mentioning that the test branch at the moment has a new cannon being worked on for the OSP. It's only mountable by the Cargo Feeder, and features a huge 600mm round.

There are two ammo types, a ridiculous massive HE round and a 'Bomb' that is time fused with the goal of being ruinous against clustered light ships.

I really like the look of this, it gives the Cargo Feeder a much needed niche. It gives the OSP a way to deal with frigate and corvette swarms and it is a really nasty hit on heavier ships with stripped armour, which is something the OSP can do with massed plasma attacks.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

600 mm Bomb Shell looks amazing. Cargo feeders definitely need some love.

Bubbacub posted:

Shift+click will command an entire formation to do something, like switch to AP and fire on a target.

Missiles are tricky, but really powerful. The first step is aiming them properly. Missiles fly along their waypoints and then turn on their seekers at the last waypoint, which you can see as a yellow cone on the CIC view. Don't be like the container player I was teamed up with last night who set his last waypoint past the target and then was confused why he missed with every salvo. Like everything else in the game, missiles have physics and don't turn on a dime, so make allowances for turning radius, and it's possible to miss small maneuvering targets like shuttles. On a bigger perspective, some targets are easier than others. A ship capping a point can't leave until it's done. A cruiser taking cover behind behind an asteroid isn't going anywhere. A bunch of light ships zooming around on a flanking maneuver might be someplace else entirely by the time the salvo arrives. Missiles can also be fired by clicking directly on the target, which will apply an appropriate amount of lead and turn on the seeker at a good point, but can also lead to salvos flying into rocks.

Assuming missiles are aimed right, the next step is tracking. Every seeker has different strengths and weaknesses. Active radar is cheap, but is vulnerable to chaff and jamming. Command guidance is much harder to fool, but requires that the firing ship maintain a track on the target, and TL1 is "somewhere that-aways". Electro-Optical costs a lot, but gets through almost anything.

Third step is getting through point defense. The most reliable way is big salvos. A coordinated strike by multiple ships is a scary thing. For the ANS side, hybrid missiles and terminal maneuvers are reliable against anything except for Auroras carried by Occellos. Otherwise, penetration aids like decoys and jammers can help. There's a dilemma between cost and firing. A 1000 points of S3H EO+decoys is going to hit--if's there's a target, if it's worth 1000 points.

And finally, armor. You'll note a battleship has 58 cm of armor, and a standard S2 Thunderhead has 54 cm of armor penetration, which means that a single Thunderhead won't do more than scratch the paint. Effective armor is often higher, since that 58 cm is based on a straight on hit, while effective armor is calculated based on angle and goes up to 2.6x the listed value. Explosions also have a certain radius, and key components are in the center or back of the ship out of reach. I'm not even sure that a BB can be killed by punching it in the nose with S2 missiles, though side hits will strip armor and eventually get to those juicy reactor/CIC components. Torpedoes and containers have enough boom to do real damage from almost any aspect, and lighter ships are a lot easier to kill, being both smaller and having less armor.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Bubbacub posted:

Another thing to consider is missile vs pd matchups. I'd broadly divide missiles into 3 categories:
1: spam: most s2s, rockets, and some s1s; a bunch of cheap missiles fired in a volley typically. weak against flak, RPF; strong against lasers, sarissas, shallow PD magazines; okay against 20mm or light cruiser+ armor

2: heavy: Torps and containers; counts on just muscling through PD with hitpoints. Weak against 20mm, getting blown up in the launcher; strong against flak

3: sprint: hybrid missiles or s1s with crazy top speed, commonly has KPHE. Weak against sarissas, lasers, budgets, PD missiles; strong against flak, 20mm

In a non 1v1 context you can wait for your buddies to hurt PD you are bad against. Or coordinate fire so something is bound to get through.

A reinforced DC or CIC is literally impossible to knock out in a single blow. Even a really killer missile volley benefits from having a buddy nearby with guns to shoot the target. Knocking a module out of operation with HE missiles is a lot easier than destroying that module. I seem to recall that it is literally impossible for an HE missile to destroy a battleship module, due to how damage is calculated vs. damage resistance.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The best way to learn missiles is to take a 3000pt container spamship which can chuck 10-12 per salvo. You can fit hundreds of them and if a single salvo doesn't work just throw another. You can also learn waypointing to get multiple salvos on target easier because of the lower speed.

My container salvos are basically standardised as (fired in this order), relatively fast containers

2x cheap active radar containers to soak early pd
1x Decoy carrying active radar container
2x radiation seeker container
1x decoy active radar container
2x active radar container
2+ active/radseek/whatever

This can get at least 1-2 through most of nets and if you stack multiple salvos with time on target you're gonna wreck someone's day.

You also have waaaaay more containers than they have pd missiles and decoys so you can harass with 1-2 container salvos and their ships will pop all their decoys etc.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
For idiots like me looking for the jury rigged reactor its a 20 point option for those stupidly big internal compartments. My mass driver liners seem to be a tiny bit cheaper and better powered with those replacing most of the Plant Control Centers. I have to imagine it makes rail destroyers even better against them...

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
New dev blog is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_reZOXAd4U

More details on many of the campaign systems. For example, now team can have faction traits. The logistic system is the most detailed and involved thing I've ever seen in a game. Fuel, and supplies are all tracked, and if you want, every ammo type can be individually tracked (there is also option for simplified logistic where ammo is just tracked by volume). Then there's the whole repair and maintenance scheduling game, and with the officer system I guess also a whole HR management game now.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Goddamn does this game ever slap.

An underappreciated gem, best spaceship tactics game of all time. Really welcoming, tight-knit community if anyone feels like it might be their thing

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's a kick rear end game. And it let me paint my space ships Mountbatten Pink.

10/10.

Definitely waiting on the single player campaign too.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If you are interested applications are open for testing for the Conquest Game mode.

quote:

Conquest development continues to roll along and Phase 4 is well underway. You can expect a devlog covering logistics and industry before the end of the month. The end of Phase 4 has been when we intended to take on our first wave of public testers, because the completion of that phase marks the point where most of the major mechanics have been implemented in their basic state. Given the current pace of development, and the expected completion time for this phase, we are going to begin accepting tester applications **today**!

Please note that the time commitment for testing Conquest will be significant, and comes with additional difficulties compared to testing our other updates. You will form teams with other testers and be expected to play regularly-scheduled games. Keep this in mind when deciding whether or not to apply. Additionally, as before, you must be over 18 years old to be a tester.

Apply here: https://forms.gle/iAVUGGzgn92FHe6b7

Also if you are looking for some fun content to play, community rockstar NotSoLoneWolf put together a tutorial/campaign for the OSP faction available here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3129262667

Minenfeld! posted:

It's a kick rear end game. And it let me paint my space ships Mountbatten Pink.

10/10.

Definitely waiting on the single player campaign too.

One of the mods I have been messing around lets you choose custom paint schemes for your ships!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Saros posted:

The best way to learn missiles is to take a 3000pt container spamship which can chuck 10-12 per salvo. You can fit hundreds of them and if a single salvo doesn't work just throw another. You can also learn waypointing to get multiple salvos on target easier because of the lower speed.

My container salvos are basically standardised as (fired in this order), relatively fast containers

2x cheap active radar containers to soak early pd
1x Decoy carrying active radar container
2x radiation seeker container
1x decoy active radar container
2x active radar container
2+ active/radseek/whatever

This can get at least 1-2 through most of nets and if you stack multiple salvos with time on target you're gonna wreck someone's day.

You also have waaaaay more containers than they have pd missiles and decoys so you can harass with 1-2 container salvos and their ships will pop all their decoys etc.

Would you be willing to share a fitted out containership .fleet file on discord? I'm finding it impossible to stay out of lobbys long enough to actually overcome the choice paralysis of the missile editor

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Protagonist posted:

Would you be willing to share a fitted out containership .fleet file on discord? I'm finding it impossible to stay out of lobbys long enough to actually overcome the choice paralysis of the missile editor

https://discord.com/channels/409638848302153728/948127452721463337/1207184648489148486

Its a bit out of date - you might need to do some fiddling to fix the power issue it seems to have sprouted since last time I used it, I think it uses a laser pd or something you could pull.

[e] And now I got the bug and updated it.

https://discord.com/channels/409638848302153728/948127452721463337/1207189303491301446

Saros fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

New devlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGxGVU1yXFk

Just the combat part of the game is already insanely detailed, it's crazy that he's going full bore grognard for the macro simulation (I'm...not sure if I'll have the patience to manage the manufacturing chain for munitions). The fleet replenishment ship looks awesome though.