Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just found out my aunt has a ton of old lenses/cameras/tripods/etc and I am not only allowed, but encouraged to go dig through it and take anything I want. :getin:

Hope it's not a fungusfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Impressive as it is, I have to wonder whether it just interpreted the image a different way or whether Apple is working from an extensive library of duck butts. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In case you needed any further evidence that photo competitions are fuckin' garbage:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/features/sports-photographer-of-the-year-gives-pro-advice-on-shooting-dramatic-speedy-action

https://photoawards.com/winner/zoom.php?eid=8-1666023314-22

(tl;dr: a composite won sports photo of the year for some organization who is clearly run by jokers)

It's not even a good picture.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol

quote:

he decided to photograph... in a studio in Canada where he was based. The photographer’s point of view is crucial to showcasing movement in sport and action photography. “The skier is on his back on a waist-high platform so he can articulate his skis, poles and body. I’m on a 12ft-high platform above him, shooting directly down.

I joined some Nat Geo photo contest years ago and the winning images were all terrible. That told me all I needed to know

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

xzzy posted:

In case you needed any further evidence that photo competitions are fuckin' garbage:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/features/sports-photographer-of-the-year-gives-pro-advice-on-shooting-dramatic-speedy-action

https://photoawards.com/winner/zoom.php?eid=8-1666023314-22

(tl;dr: a composite won sports photo of the year for some organization who is clearly run by jokers)

It's not even a good picture.

I don't even know where to begin with this stuff. I'm kind of at a loss for words really. His instagram has 3k followers. I dunno. Weird all around.

Getting weird feelings about how access is one of the main drivers of "great" known photographers. Such is life. (Peter McKinnon redbull eclipse shot etc etc)

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2024

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
This is even better than when that wedding photographer won a bunch of awards at a competition put on by his own company

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

This is even better than when that wedding photographer won a bunch of awards at a competition put on by his own company

Wait what?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Related: the trend the last few years for wedding photographers marketing is to highlight all the high end fashion magazines their wedding work has been featured in. What they don’t say is all of them have a paid feature program so you are just buying your way into like Vogue Weddings or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m far from a fantastic photographer myself and I absolutely am not interested in portraiture personally, so this isn’t me making GBS threads on portrait photography, but it takes everything in me to not comment when I see friends and family posting “professional” pictures of their kids where the photographer cranked the vibrancy and saturation to 200% on the kids irises, or straight up just replaced them with some anime version.

They wind up looking like doll eyes

It’s insane to me that people pay for that, and consider it good. No accounting for taste I suppose.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
"I'm a natural light photographer"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I take portraits of cats because my phone has a portrait mode so that's all you need right?

(Based on the shitass processing the "pros" do on modern portraits maybe they should all limit themselves to a phone, probably looks better)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m far from a fantastic photographer myself and I absolutely am not interested in portraiture personally, so this isn’t me making GBS threads on portrait photography, but it takes everything in me to not comment when I see friends and family posting “professional” pictures of their kids where the photographer cranked the vibrancy and saturation to 200% on the kids irises, or straight up just replaced them with some anime version.

They wind up looking like doll eyes

It’s insane to me that people pay for that, and consider it good. No accounting for taste I suppose.

I have made peace with the fact that most people don't know good photography and are just happy to see photos of themselves and their loved ones.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I just did some family portraits for a friend that is a hobbyist shooter and he was curious about how much editing I did. He didn't believe me when I told him it's only minor adjustments of the basics until I showed him. Now he's mad that he bought some expensive presets that made his photos look like poo poo lol. Good light and good glass does 90% of the work for me these days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everybody goes through that phase in the beginning where they crank all the sliders all the way and can’t understand why other photographers hate the HDR look

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I managed to avoid the HDR and clarity infatuation but I did have a big window where I insisted the sky always be a perfect deep blue with no gradient at all.

Every time I see one of my old edits I'm all "c'mon past me, that looks fake as hell."

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound posted:

I have made peace with the fact that most people don't know good photography and are just happy to see photos of themselves and their loved ones.

This is it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hello Dorkroom chat thread,

Apologies in advance if this isn't a good place to ask, feel free to point me in a more appropriate direction.

My work is hosting an event this summer and we're wanting a way for participants to easily submit photos taken with mobile devices that I can later turn into a photomosaic. I have the mosaic part down no problem, my question is:

Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations for a way to collect photographs from several people? I was thinking of posting a QR code around our event that they could scan, sending them somewhere where they could then upload their photos.

I know I can create a public Google Drive folder to do this, the only "problem" is it requires a Google account to access. Most folks in this field have one, but there will be some older folks/fuddy-duddies who don't have a Google account and won't want to make one. If there's a simpler avenue, please let me know!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fire up a google voice number and have everyone text their photos to that number. Its easy for you, everyone should already be familiar with the process of texting pictures, and no one needs any extra software or logins to anything.

On the backend you'll be able to see all the text threads in the google voice web interface, so you can just flip through them and "right click save as" all the images to wherever you want

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 29, 2024

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Fire up a google voice number and have everyone text their photos to that number. Its easy for you, everyone should already be familiar with thr process of texting pictures, and no one needs any extra software or logins to anything.

On the backend you'll be able to see all the text strings in the google voice web interface, so you can just flip through them and right click save as all the images to wherever you want

Oh man, that's perfect. I already have a Google voice number that I'm no longer using for it's original purpose so that's already done. Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Start a hashtag and then get people to use it