Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hel posted:

The Dpad and bumpers are pretty bad, imprecise and with bad responses, so because the controller became the de facto standard a lot of games are designed around not using those for primary actions even when it would be way better. For example, 2d platformers forcing you to use the left stick for movement when dpad would be better or every shooter having your basic attack on the triggers instead of the more index finger friendly bumpers. It was very clear when games were designed for ps3 first because they didn't do that as much, but later generations gave up on that, unless they are copying dark souls.

The x360 triggers not being good for shooter games sure is a take. I think ps3 games tended to use L1/R1 because L2/R2 were bad on the dualshock 3, not because it was better for ergonomics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

So on top of making their system ultra brittle.....they also made them difficult to replace parts on. Brilliant.

As someone who owns a Surface Pro, yes indeed

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Jehde posted:

The x360 triggers not being good for shooter games sure is a take. I think ps3 games tended to use L1/R1 because L2/R2 were bad on the dualshock 3, not because it was better for ergonomics.

Triggers in general suck for shooters, because having to do a long pull against a spring for your primary interaction is just bullshit, in general but especially in shooters where you sre going to hit it multiple times a second, even for full auto weapons having to hold against that same spring also sucks. And I have both ps3 and 350 controller the triggers are basically the same, so I don't get where you get r2/l2 are bad from(they are because triggers are, but not in any way comparatively worse than others).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PS3 L2/R2 being bad is another thing I’ve never gotten, yeah the 360 triggers are better but they’re perfectly fine. Also some PS3 games that used L1/R1 for shooting did get that changed with patches, when I played Resistance for the first time last year it had shoot on R2 by default.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Obviously there was the RROD, but the DVD drive on the 360 was also missing some kind of alignment tabs that would cause it to gouge the gently caress out of any disc if the console was not perfectly level in all dimensions. I lose a few games that was before working out that the shelf on the TV cabinet has a slight tilt due to being cantilevered.

My brother was in the navy when he got his 360. You can imagine how well they worked on board ship.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
The ps3 “triggers” are rounded the wrong way and don’t feel like actual triggers. The 360 ones do, and that makes it super natural feeling to tie them to shooting. It would be super, super weird to have triggers on your controller and NOT use them for shooting guns.

I understand what you’re saying about buttons being easier, but honestly that’s dumb when you have actual triggers on the controller. Like, of course I want shooting guns to feel like shooting guns lmao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I forgot there was a dedicated X360/PS3 thread I could post about my recently purchased CECHB00 (lovely black all over), boxed, and in amazing condition overall. Only apparently used by the previous owner to play some football games, which also came included:

Saoshyant posted:

Just look at it. Ancient box in bloody good condition, all inserts included, even the original ethernet cable is still packed in place.

It's a CECHB00 model and its glossy finish is in amazing shape too considering how these things get scratched by air friction alone. Two(!) Sixaxis controllers in pretty good condition for both their age and how lovely these things last.

It even came with some games:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

On an unrelated note, price charting has been showing X360 games sky rocketing for the past days/weeks. Triple the value in many cases. Absurd.

Hope you already got everything you wanted to collect for this system at some point in the past! If this is a new trend, it's likely not going to stop for a while nor will prices go back to the way they were last year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

On an unrelated note, price charting has been showing X360 games sky rocketing for the past days/weeks. Triple the value in many cases. Absurd.

Hope you already got everything you wanted to collect for this system at some point in the past! If this is a new trend, it's likely not going to stop for a while nor will prices go back to the way they were last year.

Yeah, it seems like the manipulators have locked onto the 360 now. People have been spotting other people suddenly buying up all of the copies of some obscure stuff and sending prices into the stratosphere.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've seen that start to impact consoles too, bog standard 360 S systems that were £40 a month ago are now being listed for £60-70. Same thing for PS3s, but I'm not yet seeing it really start to impact games outside the super popular stuff.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Saoshyant posted:

The 360's store is shutting off at the end of July, anything that's not backwards compatible on newer consoles won't be purchasable. I imagine rarer-but-available-digitally games/prints of digital games are gonna rise forever (now's the time to buy Geometry Wars), by the end of the year a lot of the rest should be back to normal. I don't think the 360 will see the same surge in price Nintendo/Sony consoles get for their games.

A far cry from when places were practically giving 'em away though. I think a solid quarter of the 360 games I own were $1-$3 from GameStop in 2014-2016, good times.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I've been meaning to hack a 360 for almost 20 years. maybe I should get around to that

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

~Coxy posted:

Obviously there was the RROD, but the DVD drive on the 360 was also missing some kind of alignment tabs that would cause it to gouge the gently caress out of any disc if the console was not perfectly level in all dimensions. I lost a few games that way before working out that the shelf on the TV cabinet had a slight tilt due to being cantilevered.

There's also some other awfulness like the Kinect being a custom not-USB connector and the wifi chip being on a slightly different custom not-USB connector.

You can't use lots of computer resolutions over HDMI, only VGA.
You can't use the optical audio port on the console if you're using the analog video output.
You can boot without a DVD drive entirely, although I think the Ring of Light shows an error code.

Lol.....yeah that happened to me too. I basically stopped buying 360 games once I got my PS3 in 2009. Glad I did that too.....considering that I have no working 360 any longer.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

there wasn’t much good in the way of exclusives coming out after 2009 anyways since they decided to put all their eggs in the kinect basket

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holefoods posted:

there wasn’t much good in the way of exclusives coming out after 2009 anyways since they decided to put all their eggs in the kinect basket

And by then people were getting their poo poo together with the Cell (and the PS3 slim was starting to get sales going) so third party games weren't completely sucking on PS3 either.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Random Stranger posted:

My brother was in the navy when he got his 360. You can imagine how well they worked on board ship.

The trick is to only plug your poo poo into the orange outlets that go through a line conditioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

The Voice of Labor posted:

the black case late models are fine. ps2s and ps3s got more solid after redesigns too. the 360, besides microsoft design failures, also suffered from coming out right when lead free solder regulations hit. I think a lot of the rrod stuff was because engineers in general hadn't really come to terms with silver solder. there's a similar thing in early 90s consoles when they started using surface mount capacitors and they were all junk. there isn't a single functional turboduo that hasn't been recapped
The more you know. That's really interesting. Thank you.