Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why do you assume that WE wouldn't be hosed when ALIENS discover US? They might think we're just roaches on a garbage planet or something because we are.

We will probably gently caress each other.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lol jesus couldn't even get one reply before this poo poo starts

I haven't seen him posting in an age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Landing minus the press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Totally nuts.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what a waste, we could have used that money to build three city-destroying missies we'd only use if we're all going to die

srs tho yeah v cool

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

Why Mars and why not Venus or some poo poo :shrug:

Let's see:
  • Venus is closer to the Sun, and that makes it harder to reach in terms of orbital dynamics, and also means way more radiation to deal with.
  • The atmospheric pressure on Venus is 1350 PSI at the surface (versus about 15 PSI at sea level on Earth). This makes everything way harder, since the whole lander needs to be a lot sturdier to withstand the pressure, and all that extra structural weight means less weight for science instruments.
  • It rains sulphuric acid.
  • It's crazy hot. An average surface temperature of just under 900F, which is hotter than the day side of Mercury.
  • Venus has winds at up to 225 MPH.

The USSR sent landers to Venus in the '70s and '80s, and the longest any of them managed to survive was about 2 hours. Even with modern technology, a proposed future Russian mission to Venus includes a "long-life" lander that would have an expected survival time of only about 3 hours.

In other words, even the sturdiest landers we can build get their poo poo wrecked by Venus in extremely short order. And rovers are out of the question.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i bet it still can't find the clitoris

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Mars? Who gives a poo poo. Not me, that's for sure.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ben shapino posted:

Mars? Who gives a poo poo. Not me, that's for sure.

idk it might be u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't go to Jupiter