Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I love Tolten, he gets dunked on and he learns.

This fight must be an homage to the one in FFX where you have to start up the crane to rip off half of the Oblitzerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

cardinale posted:

I love Tolten, he gets dunked on and he learns.

This fight must be an homage to the one in FFX where you have to start up the crane to rip off half of the Oblitzerator.

I could absolutely see it being a reference, especially with the high amount of former Square Enix employees hired by both Mistwalker and feelplus while this was being developed.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 41: Refugee Camp

World of Ice

Welcome back! Last time Seth, Tolten, and Sed escaped from the sewers of Uhra. This time we’ll jump back to the other group and explore more of the frozen wastelands.

I’ve looked all up and down this track, but I can’t find the magic train that Kaim and Sarah were on.
We didn’t see anything like that on the way we came, either.
So nothing on the track itself? Not at all? Where does this track go anyway?
I think it goes east for a bit before turning north. Kind of hard to tell in the snow, though.

We then get control pretty much exactly where we left off last time we were here.

We can’t go any further down the track, so the only thing to do is run down these stairs and out of the area.

We’ll hop onto the world map, though the only place we can actually go is to the refugee camp. In addition to just progression, going on the world map has a little detail that fits with what some of the NPCs in Gohtza said. Specifically, that the city of Khent has been obliterated by Gongora’s magic, so much so that we can’t even visit the entrance anymore. It’s pretty minor, but it’s a touch that I always thought was neat.

Anyway, only a bit away from the track, our party finds a refugee camp set up inside of a cave.

Why are there so many people?
This must be the place where the refugees from Gohtza went wafter it froze over.
That must mean that it’s safe here. Finally! I can take a load off in peace!

The camp isn’t a huge area, but there are a few things we can do here while we rest.

First is head up the path on the left and talk to this guy.

Ow ow ow. I won’t get any food if I can’t make it back to distribution.
Oh, what’s the matter?
Hm, I hurt my leg while fleeing here. They’re gonna be distributing food shortly, but I won’t be able to make it like this.

We can offer to go and grab food in his place.

Doing so will make the woman down at the campfire announce that food is ready. We then have 10 seconds to run from the injured guy back to the entrance and talk to her. If we don’t make it in time, then she will have run out of food and we’ll have to head back over to the guy and try again. But if we do, then we’ll get a meal ration to bring to him.

Ah, food! Thank you! This’ll give me energy and pep. I don’t have much to give, but here, take this.

In return for the food, he gives us a Spiky Seed, which we’ll make use of a little bit later in this update.

Right next to the injured guy, there’s another person with a side quest for us.

My mom’s always been so stubborn. She’s getting on in years, but I know she’s still holed up in town. She used to yell at me every day I lived there. I ran away from home a while ago, so I’m sure my mom is worried sick about me. Would you do this for me? Thanks! Her name’s Sanya, and she’s in Low Town. I’m counting on you!

He gives us a letter to take back to Gohtza. However, before we head back there, there are a few more things to do.

To the right of the campfire, there’s a tent we can go in to. Inside, there’s another ring maker. He doesn’t have any new recipes, but with all of the new materials we’ve gotten it’s pretty likely that we can make a few more of his combined level 2 rings.

The other man in the tent is more interesting. He has a shop, though it doesn’t have any new accessories or weapon upgrades for anyone. Instead, he has yet another side quest for us.

What’s up? You got customers, no? Don’t look so down in the dumps.
No, it’s just… well, monsters have started to appear around camp, and these ones are unusually well organized. Several people have been injured already trying to run away from them, and some have been killed while looking for food and medicine. It’s a troubling situation. I know! You guys look strong enough. Can I ask you for a favor? The Gyaplos that appear along the trail have a habit of crying out for help to their legions of friends whenever they’re in trouble. If you let them cry out often enough, you’ll attract the attention of their leader, Don Laploss. Beating him will surely settle all the others down. Could you kill Don Laploss and bring us its claw as proof? You will be amply rewarded for doing us this great favor.

Before we go monster hunting, there’s one important chest to grab. It’s in a tent just to the west of the storage tent, and hidden all the way in the back. Inside, we’ll find the All-Shieldus spell, a level 6 White Magic spell that will be a solid boost to our survivability in battle.

With that done, it’s time to hop back on the tracks and head back towards Gohtza. The trip back is pretty uneventful, with just a few random encounters and no Gyaplos.

And once in the city, we find Sanya back in the northeast corner of Low Town.

He hasn’t contacted us once since he left. To be honest, I had given up on him. So he’s doing well, I see. I’ve been so worried about him. Please tell that troublemaker to come home soon, just don’t rush him. It’s dangerous right now. Anyway, thank you for delivering this letter. Here’s a little something for you.

Sanya gives us a Black Belt accessory, which boosts the chance of any of the counter skills activating. I’ve mentioned before that the counter skills are pretty unreliable in the first place, and this helps. But in my opinion, it’s still not enough to make it worth running them in any difficult fights. Still, this is the only place to get it, so it’s nice to have for completion’s sake.

On the way back to the refugee, I decide to run around in circles until I can find some Gyaplos. After some spectacularly bad luck, (Seriously. It took nearly 45 minutes of wandering to get a Gyaplos encounter to appear), I eventually find a group and bully them until they call their boss in to help. Despite the hype, the only notable things about Don Laploss are that he has just about double the HP of a normal Gyaplos and that he’s Fire elemental instead of Wind. Once he finally appears, he’ll go down in a single round of attacks and we’ll receive the Don Laploss Claws in the battle rewards screen.

Once we have the claws, we can head back to the camp and talk to the merchant again.

Oh, thank you! I’m thoroughly impressed that you actually defeated him. You’ve saved the lives of all the refugees here. Thank you so much. Here’s the reward that we promised.

He gives us the Sacred Torch, a very nice weapon upgrade for Cooke, and the Sacred Ring, which has Wind, Machine Killer, and Sleep level 2 effects.

But that’s not the only reward for beating Don Laploss. After reporting to the merchant, we can head over to the medical tent.

Inside, we can talk to a few of Don Laploss’s victims, with the most important one being this guy.

Speaking of which, did you hear about the box of army supplies? It fell into the spring as everyone was running in here. Most of the contents have been brought up, but maybe there’s still some stuff left in the water. I’d like to try looking once I get better.

“Treasure Hunt Clue” posted:

The army dropped a box of supplies near the hot spring in the Gohtzan refugee camp.
He gives us a treasure hunt clue that we can find just outside.

But first, just past that guy, there’s a pot with another Pipot in it. Since we’ve grabbed every seed up to this point, we’ll just barely reach 80 seeds. That gives us the Gigantes Brooch as a reward, the skill from which increases max hp by 30%.

And this specific Pipot also really wants our new Spiky Seed.

We’ll give it the Spiky Seed and it’ll give us a Prickly Seed in return. As this might imply, the special seeds are actually part of a trading side quest between every Pipot in the game. We won’t be able to do much more with it for now, but we will be coming back to it later.

Instead, we’ll just head outside and climb down this ladder near the hot spring.

Down on the ground, right by the spring itself, we’ll find the treasure hunt clue spot and will get a weapon upgrade for Jansen and the Spire Ring, which has Water, Magic Killer, and Poison level 2 effects.

With that, we’ve done everything we currently can in the refugee camp. To progress, we’ll need to head to the northern exit.

Where the party will encounter a very drunk guy staggering back in to camp. After running into Jansen, he starts mumbling to himself as he navigates around the party.

I can’t believe that Gohtza’s train crashed. It probably got attacked by them – those ice creatures.
Did you hear that?
Just now?
I wonder…
It must be!

The kids chase the guy down.

Where’s the train? That you were talking about?
Huh? Train?
Please tell us!
Um, okay. Um.
Please!

Thank you!
Train?
I think it’s worth a look.

With that, the kids run off. Ming and Jansen follow behind while the drunk keeps talking.

We’re then put on the world map, where a new area has appeared. We’ll be investigating the crash site next time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I agree, it IS a nice detail that the world map changes. Way too many games just have the previously visited areas more or less stuck in perfect stasis even if the world is ending.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of the world ending, this game isn't going halfway about that, that world is getting trashed, that's two of the world's four great powers down, and another has some damage in their capital, and it's actually relevant in world.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 42: A Burning Sensation

Blizzard Field

Welcome back! Last time we took a rest at a Gohtzan refugee camp and did some quick side quests. This time we’ll be returning to the plot as we investigate a crashed train that we were directed to by a drunk.

Wow, so this is where it fell. Maybe Kaim and Sarah are somewhere near!
Man, what a crazy wreck. There’s not much left of this thing. You don’t think they’re crushed under all this do you?

No, wait! What am I talking about, haha! That guy’s an immortal!

Eventually the party quits searching and regroups.

I don’t think they’re here. We’re the only ones around.
I see… There’s nothing to worry about! Look, isn’t there that big hole there under the wreckage? Maybe they just fell right in there.
You mean they’ve fallen underground?
It makes perfect sense, doesn’t it? There’s no way you can climb up or down that hole, so I bet Kaim and Sarah are just waiting for us to rescue them.
But you said there’s no way we can climb down there. If there’s another entrance somewhere else, that’s a different story, but…
There was a cave up ahead. Do you think it goes all the way under here?

We’re then given control to explore the area. As you might expect, the crash site is full of debris and debris means a bunch of hidden items everywhere.

The most important of which is the All-Barricadus spell hidden over in this nook.

Once we’ve gathered everything around the crash site, we’ll save at this save point and then descend into the cave where we’ll be spending the rest of the update.

Down into the pleasantly named Burning Cave. Once we’ve gone a bit forward, the kids cut in.

Hey, is it getting hot in here?
Yeah, it is. What’s going on?

Soon after, we see the reason for the heat: An absolute ton of geysers erupting into the caves. This is where the cave opens up and we’re not stuck on a single path. It’s also where the enemy encounter rate ramps up. And boy. Just like the Black Cave, the Burning Cave is a big difficulty spike compared to previous areas, with a wide variety of tough enemies to deal with.

The first new enemy are the aerial and wind elemental Killer Birds. Though they look like they should be flimsy, at 1080 HP they still have more health than anything on the tracks but the rare White Terrors. Additionally, they come in numbers, with a minimum of 3 at a time and can sometimes show up in groups of 5. Their attacks will do 250-300 damage a pop and they love to concentrate them. We’re also stuck with a flimsy front line of Mack and Jansen, who have about 1700 and 1000 hp respectively, so they can quickly bring down our GC and make Cooke and Ming vulnerable too.

And then just to make things even worse, they have the Hell Dive ability. Hell Dive is very accurate and will essentially set the target’s HP to 25% of their max, leaving them wide open to any follow ups from other monsters. The only saving grace of it is that the Killer Birds tend to all use Hell Dive at the same time and on the same target, so on their own they won’t necessarily annihilate a character.

Since they both hit hard and there are a lot of them, the best strategy for dealing with Killer Birds is to just try and blitz them down with a Flara or All-Flara from Ming or Cooke. That will most likely take them out in a single shot, and with some Casting Support from Cooke, Ming can fire off All-Flaras in a single turn. It’s also vitally important to teach Ming the Auto MP Recovery skill off of the accessory Seth and co. got from their last boss. Once she knows it, we’ll need to pass the accessory between Jansen and Cooke, or else everyone will run out of MP very quickly.

Next up are the Heracles. They’re non-elemental enemies that are both organic and hardened and they have pretty high defense. They do around 250 damage on a regular attack and can cast Sleep and Windus, though they require 2 rounds for both. Compared to the other enemies, they’re not that much of a threat and more just provide a body to protect the back row than anything else.

And speaking of the backrow, the 3rd enemy type is always there. The Ground Spheres are fragile, but since they’re in the back line they can’t be quickly taken down. And in the meantime, they’ll be blasting the party with powerful Groundas. They should be taken out ASAP, but just due to the party organization, they’ll usually be your second or third target. Also, as a weird little side note, these guys actually have less HP than the fire spheres we fought all the way back in the Crimson Forest, though their automatic GC shield still means they’re usually tougher.

The 4th enemy type are the Guanas. They’re fire beasts with a bit more HP than other enemies and hit for about 250 damage a pop. They also have the annoying AI quirk where every Guana will always target the person with the lowest HP, meaning Cooke will constantly have her turn delayed if she tries to do anything but use Casting Support or items. The part that makes them actually dangerous, though, is that they love to cast Powera and Faster on other enemies. Thankfully, they have pretty low defenses, and a single All-Aquara from Ming will usually take them out while doing good damage to everything else.

Continuing, the 5th enemy is the creatively named Big Guana. Like their name says, they are Big, with over double the HP of any other enemy and also hit much harder than the others. Their Fire Breath ability will hit everyone and will deal about 400 damage to each of the front liners, plus another 100 or so to the back, while Power Crush will deal north of 1000 damage to a single character, easily one shotting Jansen and running a solid chance of taking out anyone else if their HP or the GC is low. To make matters worse, regular Guanas will almost always prioritize buffing their big brothers, and that can turn them into a truly dangerous enemy. Because of that, they should be a high priority target, only behind Killer Birds. Thankfully, two All-Aquaras will usually take them out, with the first one killing any regular Guanas as well. Still, if they’re not taken out quickly then the Big Guanas can really put the hurt out on the party.

The 6th and final enemy type are the Seagulls. Weirdly, they’re the rarest type by far, but aren’t really that threatening. Their basic attacks have a small chance of petrifying, and they can attempt to inflict Seal on the whole party, but because only one Seagull will ever appear, petrification isn’t a real threat to the party as a whole. They also have pretty low defenses and will most likely just die to whatever AOEs are used to deal with the more threatening enemies. The most notable thing about them is really just their steal table, since it contains some relatively rare ring components that we otherwise won’t get until midway through disk 4.

Overall, the enemies here are pretty nasty and it’s likely that the party will come in a bit under leveled to really succeed. It’ll probably be a good idea to do a little bit of grinding in the entrance of the area, retreating to either the refugee camp or just the save point to resupply as needed.

Once we feel confident in being able to handle the enemies, we’ll proceed into the cave itself. The floor of this area is littered with geysers that will go off on a timer. If we’re standing on top of them when they go off, we’ll take about 10% of our hp in damage and will get knocked backwards. Other than being slightly annoying and everywhere, they wouldn’t be that notable.

Except that some of them have little flashing lights inside of them, and that means items. So without a guide, we’d need to inspect each and every geyser for items, since a few aren’t even visible unless you’re standing on top of them. It’s kind of neat since it forces you to interact more with the environment, but is also a bit of a pain to figure out exactly which geysers actually have things in them.

As we search the geysers, we’ll basically move around the area in a cancel sign, with a full 360 around the edge, and then a cut through the center to grab another item. Then move forward into the next section.

The next section is The Path of Dankness. Thankfully, there are no geysers to deal with in this area.

Instead, we have a pretty confusing maze of a path to follow, with one-way ledges all around it that will force us to restart if we slide down them. The path through the area isn’t really that long, but the one-way ledges are only marked by alittle bit of flowing water, so it’s easy to get on one by mistake. For example, the we are on a one-way ledge in the image above, while about 2 steps backwards is safe and flat ground.

In order to proceed, we’ll need to follow a path that’s essentially three corkscrews that gradually move north, before we reach another one-way ledge that’ll take us to a small landing.

From there we can head forward into the next, possibly more appropriate for the name, section of the area. The green gas all along the lower area is poisonous and will constantly drain the whole party’s health while we stand in it.

Right now, we’ll only need to make a quick dive into the gas for this chest, which is just a straight line from the path in. This is important because it has the Forcea spell, a level 6 Black Magic spell that can be a pretty useful damage boost for our mages.

After grabbing that chest, we’ll heal back up and then take the upper path over the gas.

A little bit further on, the path breaks up and we need to jump across the gaps. If we head west and jump across a few more gaps, we’ll find a chest with a Diamond Spirit Band, which teaches level 6 Spirit Magic. After that, we’ll head back to the main path and then quickly reach the next area.

Which is the pleasantly named Path of Poison Mist. Right now, most of the area is under a haze of poisonous gas. It is possible to just walk through as things are, and just use a ton of resources on healing to mitigate the gas. However, the smarter thing to do is head up the path to our left.

At the top of that path, there’s a boulder that we can shove off a cliff and block the flow of gas into the cavern. The gas around the floor will clear out quickly and we can then move forward without choking half to death.

On the other side, we’ll find more geysers. But this time, there are also one-way ledges all over the place, and the geysers love to send you flying onto one of them if you get caught. We’ll also need to be inspecting the geysers because there are a ton more items hidden in them.

But the most important treasure of the area is not in one of the geysers. Instead, we need to take a big loop around the western part of the area, and then follow a very narrow path in between two one-way ledges. That’ll take us to a chest with another Cubic Music Score.

Once we have the chest, we can just slide down the ledge, since it’ll put us right by the exit. Though it also slides us right onto a geyser so Jansen and Co. eat it before I can get away.

But once we get up, we can head further into the cave and reach the final section of it, the Path of Strange Rocks.

First things first, there’s a chest with some ring materials right by the entrance.

Next, we’ll head forward and come to the culmination of the cave’s gimmicks. This section has a narrow path scattered one-way ledges, geysers to knock you off the upper level, and then most of the lower section is filled with poison gas.

And after finally making it past that section (it took me like 4 tries to dodge all of the geysers and grab the item), we have one last bit. Here, the geysers shoot sideways out of the wall to knock the party into a low area, though thankfully this one isn’t full of gas.

Just pas those geysers, there is another set of gaps we need to jump across, though the path splits. If we go left, we’ll make it just fine and end up on the path to the end of the cave. But if we go on the right,

The 2nd rock will collapse and we’ll fall down into the lower section. Though this can be a pain, it’s also important to actually do.

Because that rock will pop us down next to a pillar that we can ram.

And though we can’t break that pillar, we can knock a treasure chest off the top of it to get the Ailment Break spell. This is a Spirit Magic spell that reduces an enemy’s resistance to status effects. It’s generally pretty useless, but there are a couple of very specific fights where it can be helpful.

After that, we’ll just need to loop around the area, run back past the geysers and cross the gaps again to reach the way out.

Yes! Finally, decent ground to walk on! Anyway, how long do you think this cave goes on for?
Hmm. If my bearings are correct, we’ll be right under the wreckage soon.
So then, Kaim and Sarah should be there?
They’ve got to be! C’mon hurry, we need to find them!

However, before we leave the zone, we need to properly equip the party. We’ll want to load Ming up with as many defensive skills as possible, while making sure she has the Anti-Freeze skill and whatever water resistance we can give her. Instead of the typical Black Magic accessory, Cooke should have one of the Spirit Magic ones. Jansen should have the Knight’s Code to be able keep the party’s guard condition up, and Mack will want the strongest earth ring we have, and the Power Bangle accessory for its attack boost. Once that’s all set, we can head out and into the Underground Lake.

Fight ends at 8:52

In contrast to the heat of the rest of the cave, this section is nearly frozen solid, with ice coating almost every surface.

Whoa!
Sarah!
Kaim!

The kids rush forward when they see their grandparents frozen in the ice.

I can’t sense a pulse.
They can’t be dead… Can they?
They can’t be!
No!
Don’t panic. Everything’s fine. D-D-Don’t worry…
Calm down. I just can’t hear it.

Battle with the Demons

When Ming says that, the ice starts shaking and breaks apart.

Revealing a giant monster that leaps forward and engages the party.

Oh, more good news! I didn’t know a creature like that lived around here.
They’re probably just a manifestation of whatever power is causing this awful cold.
Can we save Kaim and Sarah if we beat the creatures?
No “if”! We “will” defeat them!

Meet this area’s boss: the Ice Magic Beast. It’s a pretty bulky enemy, with almost double the HP of the last boss this party fought and has a pretty wide variety of both physical and magical attacks to use on us.

The first and most simple move is Trample. It will almost always start the fight off with this and it only does 250-300 damage to a single target.

The second one is the familiar All-Aquara, which will hit everyone in the party and deal 600-650 damage before any buffs or GC reduction. This will also tank the party’s GC pretty easily, so the backliners are nowhere near safe in this fight.

It can also use Forcea to hit a single target with closer 800 damage before buffs.

Getting into its unique moves, the Ice Magic Beast can use Ice Spike to deal a little damage to a full row. The real danger from this move is that it is guaranteed to inflict the Chill status effect, though Chill does nothing on its own.

What makes it dangerous is the boss’s big move, Absolute Zero. On its own, it only does 2-300 damage to the party, but it also has a chance to freeze anyone it hits. However, if the target is chilled, that chance becomes a guarantee, even through the resist skill. Since this boss can put out a ton of damage, losing turns to freeze can be a real problem and make it very difficult to survive.

Finally, the Ice Magic Beast’s last move is the incredibly rude Ice Mine, which makes it so that any physical attackers take ice damage whenever they hit it. The reason it’s so rude is that this boss has a permanent and innate reflect status, so physical attacks and items are your only way of doing damage in the first place.

Because of that reflect status, this boss fight is all about Mack and keeping him properly supported. To start, we need to get All-Shieldus and All-Barricadus up ASAP to bring the incoming damage down to a more manageable level. After that, we want to have someone with Spirit Magic buff Mack with Powerus while the other mages spread out Cover and keep people topped up on HP with items and Zephyr/a casts.

When buffed, Mack will do about 1400 damage a turn, so the fight won’t run that long if we can keep him going. If one of the mages has a free turn, they can chuck a bomb or two as well, but it’s more likely than not that they’ll have their hands full keeping everyone healed and buffed. Especially after the boss casts Absolute Zero and potentially freezes two of our people.

Though it can be a bit harrowing, with the right preparation and some luck the boss can be made pretty doable.

And after a few rounds of beatings from Mack, the Ice Magic Beast will fall.

After finishing off the boss, the ice encasing Kaim and Sarah sublimates and the two collapse to the ground.

Whoa! Hey!

Are they okay?
Kaim! Come on buddy. Snap out of it! Come on, buddy. You’re immortal, right?
Sarah!

Ming starts to cast a healing spell.

A Return, Indeed

But is stopped by Mack.

The kids face each other and make their own spells.

They release them into the air, where they swirl around before coming together and bathing the room in blue light.

Under the light, Kaim suddenly takes a breath.

Jansen…
Kaim! You’re back! I can’t believe it. I thought you were dead. I mean, we, we, gave up on you.
You’re spitting in my face.
Ha-ha-ha, spitting in your face. Hey, I love you, too, ya big lug!

And over with Ming, Sarah starts coughing and stirs.

Sarah.
I’m okay. Thank you!
Thank goodness!

Don’t worry about it, buddy. We’ve got bigger problems. By the way. You can always get a job as an ice sculpture. Kidding!

World of Ice

Suddenly we jump into a different cutscene mode as the water in the now unfrozen lake starts to bubble.

The party turns and gets ready

As a familiar vessel rises out of the lake.

And we jump back to normal as Seth, Sed, and Tolten come striding out of it.

Oh great. Why is Golden Boy still hanging around?
Who is that guy?
Everyone, get on board!

Everyone promptly hops on.

You’re all safe!
Well, we’ve been kinda through hell and back, I mean, we’ve been running and fighti- Not that you’d care.
How did you find us?
The pendant that I returned to Ming.
What?
There’s magic energy in it. We’ve been tracking its output.
Ah, I see.
We’ve gotten a lot of help from this pendant over the centuries.
Yes, we have.

This is the Nautilus. It belongs to my son Sed.
That’s me.
Wow! The great pirate Sed, in the flesh!
It’s great to meet you!

Ah, you must be Kaim Argonar… the immortal doing dirty work for Uhra.
That was a long time ago.
And here we have Kaim’s beloved wife Sarah.

Sed bends to kiss Sarah’s hand.

Pleased to meet you.
And Numara’s thousand-year-old queen Ming.
It’s an honor to meet you.
To everyone Please, go easy on me.
In fact, back then…
He hadn’t even been born then. Wait a minute. Ming, did you get your memories back?
Yes.
That’s great!
Welcome on behalf of the Nautilus. I uh think you know this pretty boy here.

Tolten has just been standing uncomfortably in the background.

King Tolten, why are you here?
He’s been used and betrayed by Gongora.
So his objective is the same as ours?
Yeah, he’s still wet behind the ears, but I think we can make something of him.
A daredevil, right, Momma?
Daredevil?
Yeah, a real macho man. Hmm…

Jansen slicks his hair back and walks up to Tolten.

I thought there was something in your eye. Nothing. Who does your hair?
Ah… ya.
It’s okay. He’s been abandoned by Gongora. Left for dead.

Tolten just looks down sadly as the scene fades out.

And once it does, we’re presented with another disc change! Finishing the Burning Cave and reuniting the party means that we have finished disc 3. Next time, we’ll be moving onto the final disc of the game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I love the way attack animations don't compensate for enemy height and just whack at the feet when hitting giants, with the numbers and hit FX popping up ten metres higher.

Everything in the game is full of polish but there isn't an animation for that, and I find that funny.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Wow, these disks seem to be going by fast.

Tolten is such a sad sack.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I love that Jansen cares about having Kaim back, but Kaim just no-sells it with a grouchy complaint straight out of freezy-town.

Also what the hell are those seagulls? Birds with... tentacle legs? Sawblade legs?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 43: Exploring the World

Welcome back and apologies for the big delay! We’ll start off disc 4 with the Nautilus rising from the ocean outside of the Burning Cave.

We then cut to the inside, where Cooke and Mack are taking a rest.

Hey.
What?
Were you sleeping?
Yawns

Parting Forever

When we passed out, I dreamed. I saw Mom in the aurora. You were there too.
Really? Weird. I had the same dream too… I wanted to ask you about that!
Maybe we really were there.
Wait a second—you mean it wasn’t a dream?
Yeah.
Were we able to get to the aurora?
Well, Mom was there.

Yeah, it was like a dream, but it wasn’t a dream.
She thanked us for coming, didn’t she?
Yeah.
She said she had something to tell us. A-and it was something for Kaim and Sarah.
I think so.

As they’re talking, the shot jumps to show Sarah listening from the other side of the door.

I wonder if they’ll think we’re crazy if we tell them what she said.
Nah, I doubt that. They’re not like that.
Well then, let’s tell them.
Hey, wait, Mack. Let’s just check and make sure if we really saw her together.
What? Oh, okay.
Tell me what she said.
Together, okay?
One, Two…

And then she went on like she really wanted to tell us something.
Yeah, she did.

She said she was glad we came.
Yeah, she was glad.

The scene fades out on Sarah’s face and comes back in at the control room of the Nautilus.

Gosh, she’s more delicate than I thought.
Aw, Ma, don’t go saying that.
Momma? What are you… 60? Th-That’s just sick!
What? You got a problem with that?
No, no, I think it’s very endearing… yes.

Sarah comes walking in and talks with Kaim in the back.

Asleep. It appears they’ve seen Lirum.
I see…

Why?
When I was helping Sed, Gongora had boarded Grand Staff. After that, Grand Staff seemed to just fly away.
Wha- it flew? That thing can fly?!
I think we’d have a better chance of finding Gongora if we looked for Grand Staff, rather than returning to Uhra. What do you think, Kaim?
Yeah. If we keep heading south, where does that put us?
The land of the Eastern Tribe.
Let’s land and take on supplies. I might be able to tweak the Nautilus for more power, too.
Seth, this ship is a submarine, right? Can we find an underwater passage to an inland lake?
Sed, set course.
Aye, aye, Ma’am!
You’re still captain of this ship, Sed.
And yet you’re still giving orders, Momma!

As they banter, Ming pauses for a moment.

Kaim, Sarah, Seth… I remember everything! The Hall of Mirrors, thirty years ago!

The scene changes to an entirely different setting, with all five immortals together.

Shakes head
We must return. We can’t stay here – we’re not from this world.
Yeah, that much I remember.
When these mirrors give off light, a path links the two worlds.

Gongora’s plot

I shall remain here.
They won’t allow it.
Don’t you feel the light?
Oh, I feel it.
Time has begun to flow again.
A thousand years was a long time.
And yet, those thousand years were very important.

Gongora starts casting a spell.

A sleeping spell.
That won’t work.
Hmm. You think?

Suddenly the gate in the background starts spewing out light.

As long as we and these mirrors remain here, magic energy will increase in this world. This place shall soon be replete with that magic and we will be able to access power stronger than any ever known.

The other immortals start collapsing as Kaim laboriously questions Gongora.

You will understand someday. So, set your mind at rest. I won’t kill you until then.

Gongora laughs as the others pass out.

He used our shock and distress to steal our memories.
Yes.

After that conversation ends, we’re put in control of the Nautilus on the world map. Unlike the first time we got a ship, the world is actually open now.

We’re still blocked by the hypercurrents, so piloting the ship over to Numara or the Sea of Baus is currently out of the question. Other than those, though, we can head essentially anywhere. And with that freedom comes a million side quests and other things.

Before we revisit any areas, the first thing we’ll want to do is use the Nautilus’s submarine function to dive underwater.

Scattered around the edges of the landmasses are little cracks with bubbles shooting out of them. They all hold items, with some notable ones being these ring parts for the level 3 Machine Killer ring, a Slot Seed, and 4 regular Seeds.

Once we grab those items, the first place we’ll want to go is actually back to the Grand Staff Construction Base. It’s a short interlude, but there are a few things to do here that we’ll need to continue in other areas.

To start, we’ll head over to the giant magic-engine in the back of the base.

If something isn’t done soon, not only will the dynamo be destroyed, but the magic energy in the area could catalyze into a runaway reaction.
A runaway reaction? That, uh, that’s bad, right?
Ah, cool your jets. We just need to get that pendulum moving again, right?
You can do that, Sed?
Course I can! Here, lemme have a look.

There are a bunch of ratchet and hammer sounds and then the magic-engine starts back up.

You did it! The power’s back online, so the limiter’s working again! Thank you so much for helping us. I don’t know if this will make up for it, but please, take this.

The technician then gives us 6 Living Brass, which we can use to make the level 3 Crit Chance ring.

After that, we’ll head to the secret shop section that we uncovered last time here.

And why am I using this pathetic little magic capsule? It’s simply too weak! I need at least thirty times more output for my equipment to work! For that, I ask them for thirty magic capsules, and now they want to cancel my project. Fools! Those idiots haven’t the slightest idea of how magic research works! It’s just a rumor, but I’ve been told that King Gongora has developed a special kind of magic capsule that has more than ten times the output of a normal capsule. If I can get my hands on just three of those things, I could continue my research. Those capsules have got to be in Gongora’s old mansion! How about it? Would you like to contribute to this important project of mine?

He sends us on a quick quest that we’ll be able to do when we actually visit Uhra.

But we have one more thing to do here. In the lab connected to the shop area, we need to talk to this technician.

Oh, you’ve come at a good time. Could you help us with our magic research? It won’t be anything too difficult. Essentially, we need to take the magic gauge here and set it up near the magic locations of the world. One such location lies atop the Ipsilon Mountains. Other locations are said to be inside the Black Cave, by the frozen entrance to the Ice Canyon in Gohtza, and in the ruins of the ancient Eastern Tribe. Magic locations are areas where magic energy settles in high concentrations. You’ll find them right away with the gauge. Once you do, just drop the gauge there and you’re done. You’ll be rewarded for your efforts, of course.

He gives us 4 Magic Gauges to place around the world, one in each of the locations that he mentioned.

Since it’s right nearby, the first one we’ll hit is in the Ipsilon Mountains. They’re entirely unchanged from our first time here, so all we need to do is run to the top.

However, as we ascend, Kaim will take note of a specific tree nearby, the drone of the cicadas swells, and it unlocks our first memory in a good while.

Thousand Years of Dreams: A Chorus of Cicadas

After that, there’s nothing of note until we reach the peak.

At the top, Kaim is be able to look out over the Sea of Baus and see that Grand Staff has returned to its original position. We can also see that the path to it is currently blocked with ice, so it’s inaccessible both by water and by land.

And right next to the peak is the spot for one of the Magic Gauges. Once it’s set up, we’ll head down the mountain and to our next Magic Gauge spot: the Black Cave.

This spot for this gauge is in the area where we fought the Rough Queen and her minions, so it’s pretty easy to access from the back exit. However, that’s not the only thing we can do in this area.

Now that we have Tolten in the party, we can go deep back into the cave, where we’ll find one of the Royal Seals hidden in one of the small side paths. This one is the straightest upgrades for Tolten since it holds the Master Sword and Master Ring. The ring has level 3 effects of paralysis, petrification, and poison, so you’re very likely to proc at least one on any hit, and the Master Sword is a weapon upgrade that’s nearly as strong as Kaim and Seth’s endgame super boss weapons. After grabbing it, we’ll run back out of the cave and head to the 3rd Magic Gauge location.

Over in the Ice Canyon, the gauge location is right at the entrance and takes about 5 seconds to reach. However, we want to run all the way through the canyon again.

Because right above where we fought the Dinozauro is another Royal Seal. This one has the incredibly powerful accessory called the Quad-Element Charm which entirely nullifies all elemental damage for the wearer. Needless to say, this will probably be Tolten’s default accessory and will be one of the highest priority skills to teach the immortals once we’re able.

Finally, though we’re finished with Magic Gauges for the time being, we have one more Royal Seal to grab. We need to head back through the Burning Cave, and then into the poison gas pocket where we grabbed a chest. It’s a bit hidden, but there’s a path off to the left.

That path leads to a little pocket of clean air that holds the seal with the Royal Emblem. This one is relatively useful since it gives the wearer the Auto-Barrier skill. It’s really nice for Tolten, but all of the immortals can learn this more easily from Sed, so it’s not quite as game changing as most of the other seals are.

After that, we have one more miscellaneous quest to do before we return to the big cities. However, I recorded this little bit in a separate video and the footage somehow got corrupted so there won’t be any pictures.

All we need to do is head back to the Merchant City of Saman and go into the tavern. In the corner is a broken juke box that we can have Sed fix. As thanks for fixing it, we’ll receive the Ice Water Amulet, which teaches Null Water. While it’s no Quad-Element Charm, it’ll be a bit before everyone can learn that, and Null Water will be very useful in the near future.

What You Are (Vocal)

The jukebox will also let us listen to the full song that played back on disc 3 with Jansen and Ming. And as we enjoy that song, we’ll leave things here. Next time, we’ll check out Uhra and see how things have changed.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Kinda weird that Aneira is the only character that's first mentioned in one of the dreams that's actually referred to in the main plot, although I guess that dream is one of the ones you get automatically, plus there's also equipment named after them.

Would be nice if there were some other characters or locations mentioned in the dreams you could see again, although I assume the only game developer who doesn't have any qualms about making the player sit through a visual novel in the middle of an RPG just so that a later reference to its events doesn't come out of nowhere in case they wouldn't have otherwise bothered reading it is Yoko Taro.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are there any random overworld encounters, either above or under water, with the Nautilus?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

AnotherGamer posted:

Kinda weird that Aneira is the only character that's first mentioned in one of the dreams that's actually referred to in the main plot, although I guess that dream is one of the ones you get automatically, plus there's also equipment named after them.

Would be nice if there were some other characters or locations mentioned in the dreams you could see again, although I assume the only game developer who doesn't have any qualms about making the player sit through a visual novel in the middle of an RPG just so that a later reference to its events doesn't come out of nowhere in case they wouldn't have otherwise bothered reading it is Yoko Taro.

It definitely is a little odd. It feels to me like Aneira might have been more directly involved in the plot at some point in development, since Aneira's betrayal is Seth's equivalent of Lirum's death or the Arthosauruses attacking Numara.

PurpleXVI posted:

Are there any random overworld encounters, either above or under water, with the Nautilus?

Nope, no encounters whatsoever. The only things to deal with on the ship are the hidden treasures and a bunch of hidden optional areas, though we won't be able to reach most of those just yet.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 44: Return to Uhra

Welcome back! Last time we ran around the newly opened world and hit a bunch of small areas. This time, we’ll be spending the entire update in Uhra, as we see what’s changed since the very beginning of the game.

We start off right at the Great Gate. With all of the excitement around Gongora’s coronation and the Gohtzan attack, the guards have totally forgotten that half our party are wanted. In fact, they’re quite helpful now. The very first guard we meet even has a lot to say.

I have a friend with a few underground connections, but he told me that Gongora’s got to have some kind of treasure inside there. Haven’t heard from the guy lately, though. Probably got too hot for him in the city, if you know what I mean. I doubt he actually tried sneaking into that room, but…

Treasure Hunt Clue posted:

A treasure is hidden in Gongora’s secret research lab.
He gives us a treasure hunt clue that we’ll be following up on later this update.

Thanks to the Wohl massacre, we’re desperately short on personnel. I haven’t been home in ages… I just wish I could at least get a letter off to my family. Say, you’re headed for town, aren’t you? Could you deliver a letter to my family for me? Thank you. My father Carlen is in the station square near the royal palace, I think. Tell him it’s from me, all right?

And this guard here gives us a very easy sidequest. All we need to do is take the taxi to the right into the city and then our target will literally be on screen.

My son is assigned to guard the Great Gate, but there are so few soldiers left, he must have it pretty rough. His name? It’s Yallen. Huh? You have a letter from him? Oh, thank you! I hadn’t received any word from him, so I was worried. Here, I’ll give you this for your trouble.

As thanks, Carlen gives us the Freedom Armband, which teaches the Slot +5 skill. This is like the Awakening Bracelet’s Slot +3, but better, and we can have both equipped for a net +6 slots on all immortals. This side quest is also the only way to get this, so it’s a relief that it’s so easy to do compared to how useful the skill is.

After getting that band, we’ll head due east towards the palace. Unlike the outer section of the city, much of the area around the palace is damaged and filled with rubble from the attack.

He was supposed to visit the city yesterday on an errand, during the Gongora coronation ceremony. I fear he was swept up in the Gohtzan advance… I apologize for the trouble, but if you see my father, please let me know. And take this…. Then you’ll be able to recognize my father from it.

And a little further into the area, we’ll find Lomur, who gives us a Missing Persons Poster for reference. However, his father isn’t anywhere near the damaged section of the city. Instead, we’ll actually need to head almost all of the way out of the city and over to the metro station.

In the station, there is a standing lamp that looks pretty nice for 2008. And in the corner behind the lamp and next to the Lost and Found center is a man named Caring Wolph.

Well, actually, there is an old man who was injured when the magic beast crashed the coronation ceremony for King Gongora. Anyway, his injuries are slowly getting better, but he is still not well enough to speak, so I haven’t been able to find out what his name is or where he lives. I did hear him mutter something that sounds like the name of a place, but it must be some random small village or something, because not even the agents at the station knew of it when I asked. Wait, that’s him! That’s the man in my house! You said his son came looking for him? Please, by all means, give my address to his son. I’ve got to run home now and tell his father the good news!

After he runs off, we can return to Lomur, who will give us materials to make a sleep level 3 ring.

Over a decade ago, just before the Council took power, a group of royalists took something out of the place and hit it there… or so the story goes. The Council conducted an undercover investigation, but apparently weren’t able to discover anything.

And then we can take the train to the Central Station, where we’ll find Raha with the world’s easiest treasure hunt clue.

The royalists’ treasure lies inside the station-square monument.

Less than 50 feet outside the station is the fountain that the clue talks about, and right in front of it is a treasure spot with the Gaia Breaker sword and the Gaia Ring. The sword is only a very slight upgrade over Kaim and Seth’s current weapons, but the ring is a very nice combination of Damage/GC Damage/Crit Damage level 2 that is just generically useful.

Continuing on, just behind the fountain is one of the Cubic Musicians. We haven’t seen one of these since we were back in Numara during disc 2, so we currently have 4 music sheets to play.

It’s the same minigame as before, but the patterns get a little more complicated. The final one we have to do has 5 sections of 4 notes each and takes a little while to get through, though just writing down the pattern really makes it so you can’t fail. Once we finish up, we end up with accessories for the Evade Up, Wind Resistance, and HP Max Up 2 skills and a solid weapon upgrade for Sed.

Next up, we’ll head due east to the Main Street of Uhra. Right around where we first encountered Jansen back on disc 1, there’s this small boy watching the news screen.

I heard that Gohtza built all these magic weapons so they can burn Uhra to the ground. I’ll do anything that’s necessary to beat Gohtza! It’s like what they all say: kill or be killed!

Conveniently, this memory also has a treasure hunt clue hidden in it.

Sarah’s present is hidden in the mansion’s courtyard.

However, though we can go back to the mansion right now, our magic-powered locator needs to be upgraded before we can actually pick the treasure up.

To assuage things a bit, just south of the boy and then in the nearby, we can find three more treasure hunt clues!

Treasure Hunt clue posted:

A family heirloom was dropped into Uhra city’s sewer.

A treasure was thrown into the trash behind the inn in Uhra.

Valuable materials lie on the seabed near Crater Island.
The first two are right nearby. Running over to the back lot of the inn gives us the materials for a level 2 Toxic ring, while jumping down the nearest manhole get us the Scroll of Secret Skills. This teaches us Slot Hit, which does more damage the more filled skill slots the user has, though even with the maximum amount of slots, it will rarely exceed the damage you can do by getting a perfect normal attack with an appropriate ring. The final clue is another one that we won’t be able to reach until near the end of the game.

With those clues, we’ve now checked out most of what Uhra has to offer. But there’s one more area that we need to investigate before we can get back to the story.

And that’s Gongora’s mansion. Since he’s both now king and out of town, nobody’s really around.

I suppose there’s no stopping you from trying to get in. Well, go ahead. You guys aren’t just another bunch of tourists after all. I’m sure you can hold your own against whatever you run into.

Except for this lone guard who realizes there’s not much he could do to stop us.

The mansion itself is empty, but otherwise unchanged from our first visit. This time, though, we can head out the western door of the mansion and into the courtyard.

Where we find yet another of the Royal Seals.

Opening this one causes the ground behind it to slide away and reveal a set of stairs down into the tunnels below.

Specifically, this opens up our first entirely optional dungeon, the Secret Cave. For a dungeon, it’s pretty short and simple, but it has some important items to grab and a good bit of background as a reward.

Just around the corner from the entrance, the ornate stonework starts falling apart, with big gaps in the path and massive steam pipes running up the walls.

As we explore the area and grab a bunch of small treasures, the only enemy we’ll encounter are the Experiment No. 42s. They are exactly like the Experiment 44s that we previously encountered in the sewers, but with just under triple the health and they always appear in groups of at least 5. They still petrify off of their basic attacks, but because of their bulk and numbers, getting fully petrified is actually a threat. The Experiment No. 42s don’t do that much actual damage though, so putting petrify resist on an immortal or 2 will negate most of the risk of actually dying. The basic attack is all they can do, so that basically just turns every battle into a 2-3 turn delay until you hit them with enough AOEs to kill all of them.

Conveniently, these guys also give out a huge amount of experience compared to most enemies, so this is a great spot to grind up a bit of exp and even out the levels in the party.

Pretty soon, we come to an elevator blocked by an electric gate and a T split in the path. The path to the right is the way forward, while the way to the left leads to a dead end.

Or at least it seems that way. In reality, Kaim can just shoulder check the false wall out of the way and let us open a chest containing the Magical Lock Key. We can’t do anything with it just yet, but this is a very important item for a side quest later on.

A little further down the path is a door that signals the end of the dungeon.

Going through it, we reach Gongora’s secret laboratory. However, when the door shuts, it locks tight.

Gongora’s Plot

Are we trapped?!
You know, you get scared way too much, shorty.
Ya, well you look scared, too!
Oh very clever! Funny. Yeah! What is your prob- What are you, hiding behind your momma?
Wait! What did you just say?
Okay, okay! If we go against each other, we play into Gongora’s hands!
It looks like something’s happening. Be on guard.

Right as Kaim says that, a machine ahead of them powers on and we’re thrust into a boss fight.

Welcome to what might be the easiest boss in the game: Dolls and Generator. It’s simple enough that I’m not even going to bother making a video. The frontline is made up of four Dolls. They’re all pretty weak, with hp low enough that you’re almost guaranteed to one shot them and attacks that don’t really matter. They can either attack a full row with Shockwave or use Combo Strikes to hit the same person twice, though each hit won’t do more than about 80 damage. Their role is to just stand in the way and die repeatedly.

The actual boss is the Generator behind them. It also has really low hp, with less than the generic enemies in the dungeon, and can’t inflict any direct damage. For its actual moves, it can cast All-Sleep, All-Poison, or use Create Doll to bring another Doll into the fight. However, these really don’t matter because everything is so frail that the battle won’t last long.

The entire fight literally lasts 2 rounds, with Tolten finishing off the Dolls with Cut Down in round 1, and then killing the boss itself with a basic attack in round 2. As a reward, we receive the Backyard Weekly item, which is a piece for the same side quest as the Magical Lock Key.

We can also take a look around the lab. It’s not a huge area, but by running around to the lit spots, we can get the Magic Capsules for sketchy technician back at the Grand Staff Construction Base. We can also fulfill the treasure hunt clue we got at the start of this update, and get the Demon King’s Horn and Ring. The Horn is a staff upgrade for Jansen, and the ring has Spirit Killer and MP Absorb level 2.

However, the most interesting thing in the lab is this machine over in the corner.

What could this be?
Something of Gongora’s possibly, given that it’s hidden in a place like this.
Let’s check it out. Maybe we can find what he’s been up to in the thirty years we’ve lost.

Kaim activates it and a previous recording of Gongora starts playing.

I have teleported across time and space. My consciousness continued even after I took on a physical form, and remains to this day. My home world and this world – for some reason the two worlds seem to be linked on the same axis across space and time. Our world was becoming extremely unstable. Reports had begun to circulate that it would collapse. We believed this to be caused by interference from another world – this world – that was on the same axel as ours.

Over the course of time, we realized that this virus could well be a “soul” or “spirit”. The interference from that other world was from the souls of its inhabitants. They were producing some form of energy that was distorting our world.
Why did it have such an influence? To understand the cause of this phenomenon, to study this interference… we established a quantum teleporter, a means to send our consciousness to this other world.

Including myself, there are five investigators. The others are Kaim Argonar, Seth Balmore, Ming Numara, and Sarah Sisulart. We arrived here without memories of our home world, and now live among the native inhabitants of this world while we carry out or mission. A thousand years was chosen as a timeframe sufficient to develop a deep understanding of this world’s inhabitants. The way we arrived – with our memories locked away – has allowed us to become like the people we now live among. However, I awoke to the memory of this mission some days ago. I am leaving this recording so that this world may know that I existed. Given that time flows differently on the two worlds, we shall appear to neither age nor die on this world. The thousand years of our investigation is equivalent to the passing of only a single year on our home world.

By immersing ourselves in the history, culture, thoughts, and habits of this world, we succeeded in gathering detailed data. We will transmit our experiences to our home world, in the hopes that it will gives us the means of saving it.
An unexpected result of our mission is that the Tower of Mirrors is causing a variety of odd changes in the natural order of this world. Wild animals run amok, and there are many sightings of monstrous creatures. The natural magic energy of this world has changed. This may, in fact, be a blessing. Magic energy has dramatically improved the lives of these people. When our consciousness was reconstituted within our new bodies, there was a resonance with the magic energy. The possibility that our existence has imparted even greater strength to this world’s magic energy is very likely.

We have seen much in our thousand years here. Which brings us to the true nature of the virus. The lives and history of the people here are extremely ordinary. And we have seen many dynasties rise to power and fall again into oblivion, as if they were nothing but trivial occurrences. And yet the existence of the virus on our world shows that the event son this world had a tremendous impact, making a history that will never be recorded in any book here. The feelings that dominate the minds of the people of this world… their hopes and desires, their love and their hatred… their very lives and deaths. The events that bring fear or happiness to their every moment. All of these resulted in massive waves of… something… That interfered with our home world. The hearts and minds of the people is what moves this world.
At certain times, this was evident by the feelings of affection toward others. At other times it was shown by the unrestrained drive to satisfy a great ambition. In the time we have lived among the people of this world, we have realized that these feelings – previously unknown to us—profoundly affect them. And the effects of these feelings are causing the massive energy waves that are affecting our home world!

While here in this world, I have been infected by the virus of feeling and have consequently obtained powerful magic energy. To abandon this would be grievous and painful. To even think this way shows how deeply the virus has infected me. But the virus’ seduction has been quite satisfying… and it still is.

I never thought about it that way. But you may be right, in a way.
Gongora did that? Come on, don’t let him pull the wool over your eyes! He’s gonna use that to take over the world!
I know, I know! I’m not about to let Gongora abuse everything I hold dear for his own cruel ambitions.

To summarize that massive lore dump, the world the immortals are from is linked to this world across time and space. Thanks to this connection, the emotions of the people in this world send massive energy waves across to the immortals’ home world and destabilize it. The immortals used a quantum teleporter to follow this connection and explore this world for a thousand years, in order to hopefully gather enough data to save their home. However, Gongora was seduced by his new emotions and the magic power he got, and now doesn’t want to give it up to go home.

Though it’s not the most coherent, nor the most convenient way to learn all of this, this monologue basically serves to fill in some otherwise uncovered back story and some potentially confusing plot holes.

After learning all of that, there’s one final thing to do this update. Since we beat up the Generator, the electric barrier blocking the elevator has turned off. We can either ride it up to the main laboratory area,

Or we can now go all the way up to Gongora’s study.

There’s not much to actually do up here other than rifle through Gongora’s things and steal some of his energy drinks. But it’s still kinda satisfying to do. However, this does mark the end of the new things in Uhra, so next time we’ll be returning to the story.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gongora seems kinda reasonable there, weird

I get how the time dilation makes the immortals not age, but how does that prevent them from dying from stab wounds?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:ssh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I get how the time dilation makes the immortals not age, but how does that prevent them from dying from stab wounds?

Maybe the immortals are essentially a "projection" of themselves into this world that you can touch and feel, but they're still tethered to the other world and so you can't really get rid of them. If they're still tied to their home world enough that aging doesn't affect their physical bodies, I guess getting stabbed doesn't either.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Seems like if the consciousness persists so does their body. Or the body is constructed again.

And yeah, it was weird to hear reasonable Gongora though the last line had us back in familiar territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I assume that since their consciousness could just "construct" a body in this world, their consciousness will just do that over again if their old body is reduced to ashes or whatever.