Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've been away from D2 since Blizzard accidentally vaporized all of my Realms characters back in like 2002 but reading this thread is honestly kinda making me want to get back into it :ohdear:

Some questions:
- How's the learning curve for someone who's been out of the game since before Synergies were a thing? I see the online item/runeword/etc database, but it sounds like there's new mechanics and UI stuff and a lot of things have been completely overhauled.
- Is it playable SP? Can I take the same character between SP and MP (like the old "open realms"/"lan game" characters) or are MP characters stored server-side?
- Are bowazons and ice/lightning sorcs still fun as hell?
- Are skeleton-horde necromancers viable?
- Does the act 3 jungle still suck incredibly hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

I've been away from D2 since Blizzard accidentally vaporized all of my Realms characters back in like 2002 but reading this thread is honestly kinda making me want to get back into it :ohdear:

Some questions:
- How's the learning curve for someone who's been out of the game since before Synergies were a thing? I see the online item/runeword/etc database, but it sounds like there's new mechanics and UI stuff and a lot of things have been completely overhauled.
- Is it playable SP? Can I take the same character between SP and MP (like the old "open realms"/"lan game" characters) or are MP characters stored server-side?
- Are bowazons and ice/lightning sorcs still fun as hell?
- Are skeleton-horde necromancers viable?
- Does the act 3 jungle still suck incredibly hard?

This is very, very different from stock D2, the learning curve isn't that terrible because a lot of the complicated stuff you can just ignore until you're comfortable.

You can play SP but SP and MP are separate

All of those builds are much more fun and viable

A3 jungle is much more skippable

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Personally I always preferred golem necromancers to skeleton necromancers, since the skeletons felt brittle every time I tried them. But equipment is so malleable and boostable darn near any build that isn’t pathologically gimped can be lots of fun.

If you’ve never played Eastern Sun, absolutely give it a whirl. Despite having played through to Hell four or five times now, it is only my lack of free time that’s keeping me from joining in the fun this time around.

Edit: and it’s mad (in a good way) that Garfu, Astryl, et al. keep updating the mod to add new content and graphics capabilities. You all are amazing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Personally I always preferred golem necromancers to skeleton necromancers, since the skeletons felt brittle every time I tried them. But equipment is so malleable and boostable darn near any build that isn’t pathologically gimped can be lots of fun.

If you’ve never played Eastern Sun, absolutely give it a whirl. Despite having played through to Hell four or five times now, it is only my lack of free time that’s keeping me from joining in the fun this time around.

Edit: and it’s mad (in a good way) that Garfu, Astryl, et al. keep updating the mod to add new content and graphics capabilities. You all are amazing.

I remember skeletons being extremely brittle in vanilla, and unlike golems you need a steady supply of corpses to replenish them, so I was never able to get a skeleton build off the ground and all the necros I ran into in MP were doing some sort of golem/curse/magic combination, yeah. But I always wanted to find a way to make a screen-filling army of skeletons work.

The characters I actually took all the way to the endgame in vanilla were ice/lightning sorc, b-zon, and dual claws combo assassin, and I had a lot of fun with all of them. I also tried building a really stupid raven swarm druid at one point, but then found out that ravens have sharp diminishing returns after the first few levels and vanilla doesn't have respecs, so that was the end for that character.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Having run a summon necro without golems from A1 normal to Baal hell, skeletons served to let us ignore pretty much all requirements for survivability until they started crumbling pretty hard in mid hell, and I essentially just used Revives and Vampires instead. The secret for dealing damage was having an enchant sorc along for the ride. AR and flat damage go a long way with skeletons, plus we started quickly amassing a few auras between two players and two mercenaries.

In the weeks since, skeletons have received changes that ought to make them (even) more survivable, but I haven't tested them post-change. Late game it feels unfeasible to go and get the corpses to make 60 summons before you go to where you actually want to go and then immediately reset the game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mantle posted:

Is anyone running this on Linux that could walk me through the install?

The following worked for me, using Steam's Proton layer. A similar approach will probably work using Heroic Launcher, or just invoking Wine directly, if you want a more manual approach.

First of all, if you just want to play in 800x600, just unpack it, add Diablo II.exe to Steam, set the compatibility tool to "proton experimental", and you're good to go.
If you want higher resolutions, it's a bit tedious, but not hard:

- unpack the all-in-one zip wherever, e.g. ~/Games/D2ES
- "add a non-steam game", "browse", browse to the directory you unpacked to and select D2VidTst.exe as the game executable
- right-click, properties: set "compatibility tool" to "proton experimental"
- run the game, it'll start up the video mode tester. Wait for it to finish freaking out and then select 3dfx Glide as the rendering mode.
- back to steam game properties, change the target executable to "glide-init.exe"
- run the game again and configure Glide. First tell it to probe openGL capabilities, then set video memory to whatever value it recommends, turn on 32bit rendering and fullscreen, etc.
- optionally edit SGD2FreeResolution.json to add your desktop resolution or some other convenient resolution; I found that 1920x1080 results in serious rendering glitches at the screen edges but 1280x720 works fine.
- finally change the target to "Diablo II.exe" and launch the game through steam. Might take a while to start up, especially the first time, but it runs fine.

I'm given to understand that D2GL gives even better results than the glide wrapper it comes with, but I tried that briefly and couldn't get it working; not sure if a Wine issue or if I'm holding D2GL wrong.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
is there a way to dl the all-in-one without exposing my google account

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It's hosted on Dropbox and you can just download it...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

First of all, if you just want to play in 800x600, just unpack it, add Diablo II.exe to Steam, set the compatibility tool to "proton experimental", and you're good to go.

OMG I didn't even know this was a thing. This gets me 90% of the way there without any of the wine bugginess.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BasicLich posted:

is there a way to dl the all-in-one without exposing my google account

Click the big "download" button in the middle of the screen.

Alternately, edit the "dl=0" in the URL to "dl=1" to get a direct link.

Mantle posted:

OMG I didn't even know this was a thing. This gets me 90% of the way there without any of the wine bugginess.

Proton is just (well, "just") Wine with a bunch of extra features added by Valve and Steam integration. And it's pretty nice! Since it works with non-Steam games you can use it for all sorts of windows nonsense, and it will usually give same-or-better results compared to stock Wine.

There's also Heroic Launcher, which has even more features and two different flavours of wine (one based on upstream and one based on proton), as well as GOG and Epic integration; between that and Steam I have coverage for pretty much everything I play.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I rolled a Necro to gently caress around for a bit and get my feet wet with minimal effort, and holy poo poo there is so much stuff.

A few questions:
- is there a central way to view/manage hotkeys for all the various plugins, or do I just need to look at the ini files for each individual plugin? An in-game hotkey binding window for plugins would be incredible.
- for that matter, is there a good overview of what all the various plugins it comes with do?
- I killed Rakanishu and the fucker exploded in a shower of loot, dropping four complete low-level sets; is this normal?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I can't speak for the rest, but the Rakanishu thing is supposed to happen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've now run a necro, sorc, and bzon up to Cain, and it's fun, but it also feels a lot more like something like a heavily itemized Alien Shooter than like Diablo. Like, Diablo 2 had already moved pretty far towards the high-speed action hack-and-slash and away from the slower and more cautious vibe of D1, and D2ES feels like it's moving even further in that direction. No individual enemy is remotely a threat but the enemy density is pretty high.

Possibly this is just the on-ramp and things will slow down once I hit NM or HL, but right now it's like, I'm halfway through act 1 and I already have two complete sets of gear and like +4 all skills and +20 all stats? This is bonkers.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

ToxicFrog posted:

I've now run a necro, sorc, and bzon up to Cain, and it's fun, but it also feels a lot more like something like a heavily itemized Alien Shooter than like Diablo. Like, Diablo 2 had already moved pretty far towards the high-speed action hack-and-slash and away from the slower and more cautious vibe of D1, and D2ES feels like it's moving even further in that direction. No individual enemy is remotely a threat but the enemy density is pretty high.

Possibly this is just the on-ramp and things will slow down once I hit NM or HL, but right now it's like, I'm halfway through act 1 and I already have two complete sets of gear and like +4 all skills and +20 all stats? This is bonkers.

Expect more of what you are experiencing here, rather than less.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
There will be times you need to fix/alter your gear to get past different areas, like A4/5 H or elemental roadblocks (maybe not with a necro), but yeah, the game really begins after vanilla D2 is done. There's more post game content than the entirety of vanilla D2.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
All the steam proton talk makes me wonder if I could get this running on my steam deck... The dream

I'll need to mess with this when I have time

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I edited PlugY.ini to enable shared stash, and it worked fine for one play session, and now it's back to not working. WTF.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Garfu posted:

Make sure to use a simple lowercase short password when creating your account.

Where do I go to make an account though? I really want to play this

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Some notes on the server edits right now as the least official dev:

If you're worried about the difference between Glide3x, ddraw, and GDI+, the differences boil down to "do you want perspective mode" (glide3x) or "do you want to drag window corners to resize" (ddraw). There's no other real work right now that can be done to make the game less insane.

SGD2FreeRes+, built from source, will contain a few checks to patch to avoid the weird DRM. The most important ones are bypassing version checks (hardcode the version check function to return the variable for 110f) and server DRM checks (this would be hard except you can just tell it you want to play offline).

d2gl can be made significantly less crashy in Very Stupid Scenes (see: me trying to crash the game on purpose) via two patches. One is thaison's [3000] fix which increases a few buffers a bit. The other is to make the Voodoo card emulated by the glide3x -> opengl have way higher specs.

Sadly, the VideoLoca:tm: [b]Bitchin' Fast![b]3D²⁰⁰⁰ specs are too high for the wrapper. We need command_buffer.h to do anything. Grab the command buffers of a normal size, such as
code:
std::array<TexData, 4192	> tex_data = {};
and increase them to 8192 or 16384. Don't go too high. This game doesn't know how to count that high.

At this point you should be crashing for reasons other than ones related to the renderer.

Silhouette Wires posted:

All the steam proton talk makes me wonder if I could get this running on my steam deck... The dream

I'll need to mess with this when I have time

I was thinking about it earlier and you'd want to set the left joystick to be clicking the borders of the play area (not the GUI). Autopick handles most item pickups. I haven't worked out inventory management yet.

I'm working on some other stuff right now.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zeg posted:

Where do I go to make an account though? I really want to play this

IIRC you make it in the client at login to the realm.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

bbcisdabomb posted:

IIRC you make it in the client at login to the realm.

That was it, thank you so much

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I’m working through act 1 now and having a lot of fun, but wanted to ask: what is the best thing to do with unwanted elite/set items? I’ve started reviewing the crafting page but there’s a TON of recipes and I’m not quite sure.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Empty Pockets posted:

I’m working through act 1 now and having a lot of fun, but wanted to ask: what is the best thing to do with unwanted elite/set items? I’ve started reviewing the crafting page but there’s a TON of recipes and I’m not quite sure.

Unless it's a set amulet or ring you can very safely ignore equipment that doesn't immediately make you stronger for quite a while. If you have your stockers from Gheed, just hit F8 and everything that's worth saving will get saved. If you're starting to struggle, tinkering quills, tails and hearts onto whatever pieces of gear you think will last you the longest will greatly help your survivability along. A quick respec and mixing it up with a new skill can also go a long way to speed up your progression through the vanilla-ish content.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Set amulets and rings should be cubed with your rerolling orb to get jewel points. Unique amulets and rings should be saved until you have Ancient Scroll 29. In the long run this will eventually become useless once you build up a sufficiently large stockpile of unique jewels, but the alternative is to get Devil's Food points and as of Eclipse, Devil's Food doesn't do anything afaik.

If you really want to strip a tiny amount of value from other unused unique and set items, cube them with your multistocker to convert them to Ancient Decipherer points (but this is barely worth your time; feel free to leave them on the ground instead). You get 0.5/1/2 points for normal/exceptional/elite items. Since every dstone is 8 points, and dstones drop like crazy, this is an abysmal rate of return.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
you are going to a truckload of junk amulets gambling for the top class specific ones to make aura stones. ditto for other ring and layers of abstraction gambling.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can convert devil's food into jewels via scroll 29. So into the orb with them too.

:orb:

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
You can also combine 3 of the same set armor type into a unique of that armor type. Can be an interesting use of certain bosses that jackpot drop sets in normal :).

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Garfu posted:

:siren: Diablo II: Eastern Sun: Eclipse is now live! :siren:

ProAtWorkHere (aka nightwisher) has added so much stuff we had to come up with a new name! E C L I P S E. Get it?
Special thanks to Downtime for the behind the scenes integration work as always.

A whole new end-game awaits.
There are too many changes to list here so check out the change log for yourself! https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/D2ESEPatchNotes.txt
More info about the new late-game progression: https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/eclipse.htm

Some additions include:

* 26 new cube materials.
* 60+ new uniques.
* 6 new runewords.
* Dozens of skills improved and made more powerful.
* 36 new areas accessible by special map tokens, with 6 tiers of difficulty. Hell Nihlathak has a chance to drop a random Tier 1 map token.
* 6 new bosses.
* 6 new uber skills obtained from the new bosses.
* 52 new monsters with multiple new skills.
* Upgradeable Melee Splash Stones, a charm providing all melee skills with AoE.
* New charms that come with a high-level CtC on Striking skill, can be upgraded to add synergy skills as charges.

And much... much... MUCH more

Download the entire directory here then simply unzip to any folder, no more steps or extracting over stuff!

To connect to the realm, run D2ESE-Realm.reg - alternatively you can search for 'BNETIP' in regedit to easily change your gateway to 'd2es.chibot.dev'. While there, ensure your paths point to your new directory (this only needs to happen if you've had other installs)
Make sure to use a simple lowercase short password when creating your account. The hosting software has issues with longer complicated passwords. They are still hashed and we cannot see them.
Set Diablo II.exe compatibility mode to XP SP 2 to allow binding of mouse3/4/n and mwheelup/down
Add filter and flee to D2Hackit.ini (/plugin/) AutoLoad line if you'd like to load those plugins automatically. They have been removed from the new install as not to confuse new people
You can drag the window around or resize it by clicking and dragging on the corner or sides. If you'd like the game to look better overall check out D2GL to add AA or other modern gfx settings https://github.com/bayaraa/d2gl/releases
For example, mine looks like this

on a 27" 1440p monitor.

:siren: USE A NEW DIRECTORY EVEN IF YOU'VE PLAYED BEFORE, DO NOT PASTE OVER AN OLD DIRECTORY | IF YOU ARE HAVING VIDEO ISSUES, DELETE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF YOUR Diablo II REGISTRY :siren:

If there are any issues please join the discord server: https://discord.gg/aMus7Rx we've been able to solve all connection and game issues in the #tech-support channel. Remember, if you have other installs of D2 or have had them in the past, there may be some registry editing requirements. We can walk you through them.

Quoting to bookmark

mezmek
Aug 22, 2012

by Athanatos
Keep your secret, no strings attached dating
mod edit: removed spam link

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 14, 2024

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mezmek posted:

Keep your secret, no strings attached dating
mod edit: removed spam link

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tenbux no longer protective. I'm concerned.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Tenbux no longer protective. I'm concerned.

I was going to say "they've got a 2012 regdate, so I don't think this was a long con by a spambot, I think their computer or account credentials just got compromised", but apparently in those twelve years they've made a total of seven posts, so who knows.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
Aw shucks, thought it was finally time for a Diablo 2 dating platform (no strings of ears though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

ToxicFrog posted:

Alternately, edit the "dl=0" in the URL to "dl=1" to get a direct link.

worked a charm, cheers