Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Rytheric posted:

So I had a whole foods dinner again. Turns out they just recycle lunch for dinner, so things are a bit drier and probably less healthy. When I worked at domino's we weren't allowed to serve food that was allowed to sit for longer than an hour and a half due to bacteria, so wish my bowels luck.

I dunno about your local store, but I used to work for a company that operated inside Whole Foods stores. Prepared foods such as the hot bar are supposed to be kept no more than four hours at a minimum of 135F, and people will periodically take temps and log them to be sure things are safe. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. In practice I know that some of my coworkers never logged anything, and one would just write down whatever the numbers were supposed to be, without ever looking at a thermometer. Even for days when she wasn't there. That said, the kitchens and prep areas were pretty clean, products actually got labeled with the proper use-by dates, and that stuff did get tossed when the date was up. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So I turned in an environmental report at work today for a regional client that I was super stressed out about because it was late and over budget and I pulled all nighters over the weekend to get it done. I was worried that I was going to get fired over it. Got a bonus and a soft job offer within the company in Savannah, Georgia instead. This presents an opportunity to move out and make it worth it. Could even live out of my sailboat down there which has a kitchen. Opinions? My manager doesn't want me to move. Haven't talked to my boss about it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course your manager doesn't want you to move, you're putting in tons of unpaid labor and probably underpaid besides.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes your boat has a kitchen. But I still feel get your poo poo together first then live the nomadic lifestyle. Where will you poo poo on sailboat? What food can you cook? What will you do for hurricane season?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

tater_salad posted:

Yes your boat has a kitchen. But I still feel get your poo poo together first then live the nomadic lifestyle. Where will you poo poo on sailboat? What food can you cook? What will you do for hurricane season?

So, i am actually experienced in this area of interest. Typically marinas you can liveaboard at have harbor facilities where you can poo and do laundry and even cook if cooking on your sailboat is too cramped. You can also hook up to shore power for power. A marina I just glanced at (was looking for "shelterable" marinas, leaning more towards south carolina) and its roughly $310 a month + $60 a month for electricity. Unfortunately the PO of my sailboat ripped out my head, however, harbor toilets would be better anyway.

edit: As for hurricane season, thats going to be rough no matter what. Typically you mingle with the local liveaboards to find the hideyholes to anchor at which is usually a rather well kept secret.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 10, 2021

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

We installed a compostable toilet (an Airhead) in our boat when we lived aboard: it worked great and it’s self-contained so you don’t have to deal with tanks or plumbing.

Don’t ask your current job for advice about taking a new job you doink.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

If you're gonna move to Savannah, get yourself an apartment there with a proper fridge you can use.

Do this whether you take the job or not.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Rytheric posted:

So, i am actually experienced in this area of interest. Typically marinas you can liveaboard at have harbor facilities where you can poo and do laundry and even cook if cooking on your sailboat is too cramped. You can also hook up to shore power for power. A marina I just glanced at (was looking for "shelterable" marinas, leaning more towards south carolina) and its roughly $310 a month + $60 a month for electricity. Unfortunately the PO of my sailboat ripped out my head, however, harbor toilets would be better anyway.

Pumping out the head was always the most disgusting part of having a boat, so yeah you're probably better off using the marina facilities short term but never underestimate the convenience of not having to stumble around the docks at night when you need to take an emergency crap.

iirc from the last thread, you have a pretty decent sized boat (over 30' I think?) so I'm curious what your cooking setup is like in there. I grew up sailing on a 28' Pearson that, despite less than stellar cooking facilities, we still managed to cook up decent family meals in. If hooking up to power is something you're talking about, then I assume you may have a real fridge and not an glorified built-in cooler like we did? Even if you're stuck with something like that, you can still do a lot with decent ice chest! Plus, there's nothing finer than getting a grill set up on the stern and cooking something good out on the water

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If it pays better, take it, if management wants to keep you, tell them to pay you more. DO NOT be your normal pushover self.

I've known a number of dudes that have lived on sailboats, it's surprisingly practical, and moorage is usually similar to rent, way better than a dang truck, especially if it has a galley, you could sell the truk and get a nice little car.

Here's a recipe for an awesome orange chicken sauce (ignore the air fryer chicken part) that'll hit all those General Tso's sweet and spicy and Umami notes, with decent amounts of sugar and salt https://litecravings.com/air-fryer-orange-chicken/

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Bingo Bango posted:

Pumping out the head was always the most disgusting part of having a boat, so yeah you're probably better off using the marina facilities short term but never underestimate the convenience of not having to stumble around the docks at night when you need to take an emergency crap.

iirc from the last thread, you have a pretty decent sized boat (over 30' I think?) so I'm curious what your cooking setup is like in there. I grew up sailing on a 28' Pearson that, despite less than stellar cooking facilities, we still managed to cook up decent family meals in. If hooking up to power is something you're talking about, then I assume you may have a real fridge and not an glorified built-in cooler like we did? Even if you're stuck with something like that, you can still do a lot with decent ice chest! Plus, there's nothing finer than getting a grill set up on the stern and cooking something good out on the water

Its actually a rather small boat. 21 feet. I agree cooking on a grill on the stern of boat would be preferable to cooking on the stern of the RyTruk. I could probably get a real fridge in the sailboat. It was my SHTF option after the RyTruk.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Here's a recipe for an awesome orange chicken sauce (ignore the air fryer chicken part) that'll hit all those General Tso's sweet and spicy and Umami notes, with decent amounts of sugar and salt https://litecravings.com/air-fryer-orange-chicken/

I will try this. Started to overwhelmed when I saw the sauce ingredient list though. Usually I just onion powder, garlic powder, and salt things. Unless it's perogees then I add olive oil and parmesan cheese.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rytheric posted:

So I turned in an environmental report at work today for a regional client that I was super stressed out about because it was late and over budget and I pulled all nighters over the weekend to get it done. I was worried that I was going to get fired over it. Got a bonus and a soft job offer within the company in Savannah, Georgia instead. This presents an opportunity to move out and make it worth it. Could even live out of my sailboat down there which has a kitchen. Opinions? My manager doesn't want me to move. Haven't talked to my boss about it.

Bingo Bango posted:

One warning.

Stay on target. This is not a thread about boats, or trucks, and if it drifts off topic it's getting closed.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm a goony goon who can get locked into cycles of eating the same stuff every day and, while I've gotten better about not doing that, I've found it helps to find something healthy that you can easily cook tired and on autopilot. The best gift I've ever gotten was a carbon steel wok, because I use that thing at least every other day. My go-to meal is sliced up chunks of chicken thigh and frozen green beans stir fried in the wok over high heat. It's delicious, fast, and easy. You can season them both with light salt or, better, roasted garlic powder. If you want something to dip the chicken pieces in, you can use something with low/zero calories like hot sauce or my favorite, a horseradish-based Asian mustard. The green beans are tasty enough with a little salt or garlic powder imo. If you feel like you need something to bulk the meal out, you can cook some rice and pour the drippings over it, but even as a fatty I'm usually happy with the chicken and veggies. Cleanup is super easy since it's just the wok (clean it while it's still warm), a fork, the knife and cutting board you used to prep the chicken, and whatever plate or bowl you put the food in. I don't have a dishwasher so ease of post-meal cleanup is very important to me :)

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm a goony goon who can get locked into cycles of eating the same stuff every day and, while I've gotten better about not doing that, I've found it helps to find something healthy that you can easily cook tired and on autopilot. The best gift I've ever gotten was a carbon steel wok, because I use that thing at least every other day. My go-to meal is sliced up chunks of chicken thigh and frozen green beans stir fried in the wok over high heat. It's delicious, fast, and easy. You can season them both with light salt or, better, roasted garlic powder. If you want something to dip the chicken pieces in, you can use something with low/zero calories like hot sauce or my favorite, a horseradish-based Asian mustard. The green beans are tasty enough with a little salt or garlic powder imo. If you feel like you need something to bulk the meal out, you can cook some rice and pour the drippings over it, but even as a fatty I'm usually happy with the chicken and veggies. Cleanup is super easy since it's just the wok (clean it while it's still warm), a fork, the knife and cutting board you used to prep the chicken, and whatever plate or bowl you put the food in. I don't have a dishwasher so ease of post-meal cleanup is very important to me :)

This is helpful. I use to have just a medium sized cooking pot that I use to cook everything out of post college. Some of the recipes suggested involving cooking something like a sauce while simmering something in another pan intimidate me at the moment. But I've done it before. I remember balancing 3 pots/pans for something in college, so I know it's within my capability. Perhaps I need to focus on one pan recipes and regain confidence in cooking then move on to two. I think the perogee dish my sister taught me that I use to make will probably do as a reintroduction cause I use to boil or fry them and can work as a go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Liquid Communism posted:

One warning.

Stay on target. This is not a thread about boats, or trucks, and if it drifts off topic it's getting closed.

After consideration, the best course of action is for this post thread to be closed/deleted. I have ADD which means it takes a herculean effort for me to stay on target particularly if someone literally brings up anything else and therefore likely can not comply with this request even if im heavily medicated. Trying to comply will only lead to unnecessary frustration and potential bad feelings.

The forum rules suggests I go to the question, suggestion section. I will ask and see if there is another place for me to post things that is more inclusive to my disability. The original suggestion to branch out topics to individual forums instead of a single hub doesn't seem feasible now.