Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah when I do internal work like that I pull all parts, inspect all parts, buy any replacements, then lay out fresh shop towels, wash each part individually, lay them out on the shop towels in the same order, lay down a freshly cleaned metal drip pan to work on, then wash my hands and assemble the whole thing keeping things as clean as if I was working directly over my own open eyes. There is no such thing as too clean when it comes to internal work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My van has a A540E, which was also used in these vehicles:

quote:

A540E
1988–1998 Camry (V6)
1993 Camry (V6)
1992–1993 Lexus ES300
1998–2000 Sienna
1996 Camry prominent

What do I look for in a rebuild kit?

Toyota 04352-45011 Official overhaul kit from the dealer, $715.
Claimed official kit, but off ebay. $482.
Oregon Performance Transmission $380.
etc.

I hope I don't need a press to do any of this. I don't have a press.

e: Found relevant pdf: ATSG Toyota A540E Repair Manual

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 13, 2024

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You shouldn't need a press to break down clutches other than to maybe hold the return springs.
I don't really see any gotchas in the teardown section of the manual.

Kits come with gaskets, steels, seals, filters, and frictions. It's on you to get the torque converter and ancillaries like the pump.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My instinct is to not dig any deeper into the mechanism than required, and skip stuff like actuators, pump, and torque converter. Like I don't think I need to open up the valve body to get to the clutch packs.

I'm on a budget right now, and also not paying for labor, so I kinda don't want to stack on an extra $500 worth of preventative "why not?" stuff. But if it's e.g. super dumb to not replace a 150k mile torque converter, I guess I will reconsider.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously, you can't skip those things. The odds of it being just clutch pack material that went through everything are basically zero, and pumps don't like pumping clutch pack material anyway. The torque converter is loaded with contaminated fluid.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh, so the friction material might have shed fibers or pieces everywhere? Ugh.

Re. rebuild kits, it looks like the OEM overhaul kit is no longer available. Only seeing 'availability' from known bad sellers and randos in the UAE.

So I will be looking into the aftermarket rebuild kits. Hell, there was probably a tuner/mod ecosystem for 1990s-era V6 Camrys, at least once upon a time.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ryanrs posted:

My van has a A540E, which was also used in these vehicles:
<list>

How much is a transmission at the junkyard, couple hundred bucks if you pull it?
I'd find a lower mileage example that's junked for something obvious (crashed, etc.) and just grab a trans; they're very reliable and probably fine.
This is certainly cheaper than rebuilding, or you can do it in addition to rebuilding. Have your van back on the road while you spend time rebuilding it right.

Hell, one of those options might even have a deeper final drive, it could be an upgrade.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh, and the ATF has been flushed with some big machine that spliced in-between the transmission cooler. That was done the day after it was contaminated with motor oil. Looks like I can get cans of stuff to flush the lines and cooler ("kooler kleen"?). Hmm.

e: so do I have to literally break it down into its component pieces and degrease every part?

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 13, 2024

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Oh, and the ATF has been flushed with some big machine that spliced in-between the transmission cooler. That was done the day after it was contaminated with motor oil. Looks like I can get cans of stuff to flush the lines and cooler ("kooler kleen"?). Hmm.

e: so do I have to literally break it down into its component pieces and degrease every part?

shredded clutch material is abrasive and the pump and valves have precision machined surfaces.
A flush just exchanges the fluid, it doesn't ensure there hasn't been damage to the valve body, pump, etc.
Getting every last bit of debris out is nearly impossible, especially from the torque converter (which also has a clutch in it..).

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, I was assuming the torque converter could be opened up easily and cleaned. But maybe it's riveted together, or internally spring-loaded or some poo poo?

(in case it's not obvious, this is the first time I've contemplated opening up an automatic transmission, so my mental model of what is involved is wrong and incomplete. but I need to ask these things first so I know what I'm getting into.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Generally, torque converters are welded together, yeah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There are a very few torque converters with drain plugs but yeah, almost all of them are fully welded with no way to service them without the kind of machinery needed to build them from scratch. So unless it's unobtanium, they're treated as disposable.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Where'd the ring go?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The first rule of internal repair and rebuild of automatic transmissions is avoid internally repairing or rebuilding automatic transmissions if you can. You can do it, you might even get most of it right but it will never be worth the time, effort and cost if there's a drop-in available at pick n pull.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Going to point out the torque converter also has a clutch within it that is also now contaminated with motor oil.

ryanrs posted:

If you want it to work and work for longer than 6 months when you're done with replacing the soft parts, Yes.

Otherwise the debris left in corners and pocket is ripe for getting sent right through your homebrew reman. At minimum earning you an opportunity to drop the valvebody again and backflush solenoid screens, at maximum, partially jamming a servo and leaving a clutch engaged when it shouldn't be, always wrecking a host of hard parts.

Same thing happens when a neglected transmission gets its first flush/service in ages. It dislodges sludge and other garbage.

Welcome to the dark arts that is automatic transmission overhauls.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The Linux Fairy posted:

Where'd the ring go?

You have to take the ring off when servicing. Sorry Kirk.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

chrisgt posted:

You'll probably have to change the shims to get all the clearances in spec. Inspect things like the clutch pack springs, snap rings, the shafts on which planet gears ride, etc. really carefully for wear, but a full rebuild kit with all that stuff shouldn't be very expensive.
It's already hosed and you're contemplating putting a junkyard box in it, you don't have much to lose; even if it ends up not working you'll learn some new stuff.

I liked this idea, but a rebuilt kit + torque converter is actually quite expensive.

$??? junkyard, pick it myself
$600 junkyard transmission, shipped
$700 rebuild kit + torque converter
$2,400 rebuilt transmission from dealer
$5,000 AWD 2nd gen Sienna in much better condition
$10,000 Old 4WD 4runner with high miles

There's a guy on craigslist parting out a 2000 Sienna. That's probably a good place to get a transmission, side window glass, and other misc poo poo all at once.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you had known that it would be this much of a hassle, would you have still filled her up with motor oil to limp out, or did you have some other options that may have been less bad in retrospect?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 14, 2024

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check if there are any torque converter rebuild shops in your area, most large metro areas have at least one. You can probably walk in with your core and get it back in a couple days for significantly less than buying one online as you'll be supplying an almost certainly good core that just needs to be cut open, cleaned, and reassembled. It is unlikely in my opinion that you had the lockup clutch engaged enough limping back to pavement so it probably doesn't actually need any parts it's just impossible to effectively clean it out without cutting it open.

Edit: pdqparts.com is over in SJ, maybe give them a ring?

I would junkyard a transmission with converter locally and throw a new radiator (or just switch to a new external cooler and abandon the internal one) and cooler lines on it, given these choices. The picknpull yards around me would sell a whole transmission with converter to me for under 200 bucks. It's good practice for the actual install. I bought fourteen junkyard transmissions in spring and summer 2022, I didn't pay over 200 for any of them.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

There were ~reasons~ not to leave it and come back later. By driving it back, the worst that could happen is I destroy the transmission. And here we are!

TBH I didn't think about it too hard because coming home with $1-2k of damage is something I do a couple times a year. Yes, the pain-in-the-rear end factor is high for a transmission, but it's not actually that much worse than when I blew up my steering rack at Ocotillo.

I'd like to try to rebuild it, because it'd be cool to say I rebuilt the transmission myself. But I'm kinda broke right now, and the economics don't seem to favor messing around with the internals.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you'd really lucked out you could have nuked the engine too, it takes a surprisingly short amount of time for enough oil to leak past the rings on an upside down engine to hydrolock a cylinder or 3 and destroy the rods as soon as you turn it over, if the starter is strong enough. Which is a surprisingly low bar to clear.

Not wanting to leave the van behind to get van-dalized is absolutely a reasonable reason to limp it home though it would definitely be a good idea to carry a spill kit and spare ATF in the future.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I carry a couple gallons of ATF with me when i'm out in the woods since it's a pretty universal fluid. It's the only fluid that works in the transmission, however you can dump it in any other fluid hole without many repercussions.
You can put it in power steering, axles, transfer case, the engine. None of these things necessarily love ATF, but you probably won't hurt them for a short run if you've filled less than half their capacity with ATF.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ryanrs posted:

I liked this idea, but a rebuilt kit + torque converter is actually quite expensive.

There's a guy on craigslist parting out a 2000 Sienna. That's probably a good place to get a transmission, side window glass, and other misc poo poo all at once.

$6000 1st Gen Honda Pilot?

casque
Mar 17, 2009

ryanrs posted:

There's sure to be at least one Toyota recycler out on Recycle Road in Rancho Cordova sitting on a pile of these transmissions for cheap.

Check out https://www.car-part.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Once you get to the multiple thousands of dollars, it makes financial sense to buy a vehicle better suited to your use case, like a landcruiser, old 4 runner, Jeep, some sort of SUV, or whatever.
Wanting to do things the hardway is very admirable though, so don't let sense stop you.

Pulling a transmission from a old van (or buying another old van to take its transmission, depending on your parking situation) is going to make a lot more financial sense then rebuilding yours, but again, doing things the hardway can be fun.