Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Let's Play Captive!

Captive was published by Mindscape in 1990 and programmed by Anthony Crowther. Who is previously known for Potty Pidgeon (by me at least) on older 8 bit systems.

Captive released on the Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, and IBM PCs. I will be playing the Amiga version of the game.

Story so far:

A person GUILTY of MANY CRIMES, is punished by 250 years in suspended animation.

They're awakened after only 248 years due to an unknown error with the cryo computer.

They're are still trapped in the cell however, but it looks like the place was used for storage and find a briefcase:

Wow! an Attache Brief Case Computer™ 500XL/GT! Maybe there's a few droids I can connect to, maybe get myself outta here.

*Several Minutes Later*

That should do it, let's see what we got...

Looks like I got 4 droids and they're on a ship. That's good

There's a planet already marked, let's see. Butre?

Well, let's have the ship, that's called the Swan? orbit the planet.

*Hours Later*

Finally! There's nothing else on the computer to play with, almost died of boredom. There's a box here labelled lvl0, Maybe I'll try to land there?

Huh, that actually worked! Ok, now to actually move the droids! Didn't work, what am I missing?

Oh, oops, they're not set up. You set them up by giving them names? Could be weirder. Now what should I call them...

[THREAD PARTICIPATION]

I'm going to need 4 names! They can be 19 characters long and can include spaces! Since I'm new and this will probably take a bit to get viewers, I'll leave naming open for a few days.

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Reserved Post for later

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I have extremely vague memories of this game on the Atari ST from when I was a kid. The UI looks familiar and if I remember correctly this is a dungeon crawler similar to Dungeon Master?!? I think that I remembered playing it and enjoying it but I never got very far into it.

Anyway, a name: Robot Llewellyn.

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
Dongs I - IV

Paul, John, George, and Pete of course.

Or if you want to play on easy mode, Dash Rendar might stoop to help out.

The Pocket Savior fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 17, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I have extremely vague memories of this game on the Atari ST from when I was a kid. The UI looks familiar and if I remember correctly this is a dungeon crawler similar to Dungeon Master?!? I think that I remembered playing it and enjoying it but I never got very far into it.

Anyway, a name: Robot Llewellyn.

Indeed it was considered a Dungeon Master clone! I intend on lping that game after this one!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, interesting. I suggest OwObot as a name.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Larry, Moe, Curly, and Shemp

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Groucho, Harpo, Zeppo and Karl

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

While we're still on the pop culture references train I'm for:
Robert Cop the furniture of law enforcement
Cyrus B. Mann he hates doctors
Minnie Computer not obsolete yet!
Turing Complete still here still awesome

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We need robot names?
Kraft
Werk
Daft
Punk

Eh, I'm lazy and I like those bands.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Our robots should be named Alpha Unit 01, Beta Unit 02, Gamma Unit 03, and Chuck.

No one knows why Chuck doesn't match the naming scheme.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Torham
Bane
Het
Saros

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sum Gai posted:

Torham
Bane
Het
Saros

Nice Dungeon Master 2 names

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ooh, an Amiga dungeon crawler SSLP? Potential for interesting stuff or a trainwreck, either way ground zero on this poo poo, I'll be watching.
You might wanna fix your image scaling though, I can see uneven pixels.

Also, seconding Randalor's vote:

Randalor posted:

We need robot names?
Kraft
Werk
Daft
Punk

Sum Gai posted:

Torham
Bane
Het
Saros
This one I'm pretty sure was my exact party last time I played Skullkeep.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope it's not too much of a trainwreck! I'm running it on WinUAE using faster loading cause I forgot how long everything took to load back in the day.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

dervinosdoom, Maybe it's time to select a limited number of options for people to vote for.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok,

Thanks for all the name groups. Let's vote on a few so I can get this LP rolling

Vote on:

A.

Randalor posted:

Kraft
Werk
Daft
Punk

B.

DivineCoffeBinge posted:

Alpha Unit 1
Beta Unit 2
Gamma Unit 3
Chuck

C.

Names that amused me posted:

OwObot
Dash Rendar
Robot Llewellyn
Shemp

Vote is open until midnight CST! Then I'll actually start!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Captive no more!

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

A

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
If votes are only counted from your post onwards, it's still A.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
C.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I gotta go with C.

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
A vote for C is what this is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm going to vote A but I'm obviously biased.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

A just tickles me just right in the nostalgia bone. Well, half of it does :) I remember reading (well, looking at the pretty pictures) about Captive! in Amiga Format, and being really bummed out that it was my brother who owned the Amiga; oh, and that there was basically no legal way of getting games in the Faroe Islands. It's great to finally see the game in action :D

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I didn't get to check the the thread until now and it looks like C has won! Sorry inscrutable horse, I cut off the voting at midnight so I could actually get started on this!

I have an 8-5 job, so hopefully I will have the first update out tomorrow!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

No worries :)

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Update:1

LVL 0 Butre

I think I blacked out there for a bit, but it looks like I named the droids. Let's see... OwObot, Robot Llewellyn, Dash Rendar, and Shemp? What was I thinking?

At least I can move the droids now, and there's a door. Probably the base enterance.

It's a four button combo lock? What? I found this note from RATT nearby to make this easy though.

I'm in the base! What are these things on the ground? Oops, I'm looking through the bug eyed droid.

Ok, another note from RATT and explosives?!? Am I suppose to blow up the base? Why does it weigh so much?

*the door locks behind you until you're done with the base*

This wall looks like I can push it. Strange.

The base isn't empty! Are those little monkey wearing clothes and wielding tiny shovels?

Ah! They're wacking my droids shins! At least I can punch them back!

They drop gold? Where are they even keeping it? What's that symbol on the bag?

Oops! My droids don't have friend or foe recognition, the back row droids will happily punch the front row droids. I'll have to pay more attention.

Moving plants? Of course they have a bunch of tiny mouths to bite my droids. A bit harder to kill, too. They also drop gold! What the hell?

Now alcoves, also with money! Are the little monkey men stocking these?

Honestly, I'm not surprised that there's a shop, all those creatures need to spend money somewhere.

If they needed ammo for guns that no one has!

*A few minutes later*

These must the generators I need to destroy. I'll hold off until I explore the rest of the base.

Ambushed! I opened an alcove and found something that wasn't money! a ZLOT Knuckle Duster IV. The droids seem like they can use it. Unfortunately I was attacked by more trees.

*More wandering*

An actual person! Also what looks like a computer.
Sir, Sir! Can you help me? *accidental misclick*

Uh what? Is nothing normal? Sorry dude, I need these droids to escape, can't have you wrecking them.

He dropped a clipboard with a password on it. Is it for the computer?

Another message from RATT. Planet probe? Where do I get that?

Oh, putting the password in the computer gets me the probe. This thing is drat heavy, half my droids can't carry it!

A shop that actually sells weapons! I'll buy 1 Knuckle Duster II so my front row is fully armed. The other knuckle dusters are ZLOTs that I found in more ambush alcoves.

I'll bump up brawling to 10 so I can use the knuckle duster, weird that the ZLOTs don't have the same restriction

Time to set them up the bomb and get out of here!

Oh, I have to input the combo on the door again.

That looks like an exploded base, time to leave.

Ok, released the probe and it looks like it headed to a moon, Pelphi.

Landed! Barely visible dinosaurs?!?

Next time, Dinosaurs & Level 1

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Next post I'm going to go over gameplay mechanics and the map for level 0!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'd appreciate a few words about the specifics of individual droids, you have 2 human-like androids and 2 tin cans with insectoid eyes. We've already seen how the faceted eyes work (unless that was an LP gimmick), are there any other differences between the types?

And I assume that since the droid remote control works over interplanetary distances, we don't even know which planet the player is imprisoned on and learning this location would be the next higher goal of the game, unless some universe-ending threat crops up in the meantime?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 21, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yep! Learning the location of the prisoner is the goal of the game!

I found a way for WinUAE to make precropped screenshots so going forward everything should look better!

GAMEPLAY I DIDN'T EXPLAIN IN THE FIRST UPDATE CAUSE I'M SCATTERBRAINED

Droids

Starting a new game of Captive always starts you with 4 droids

2 "Human" and 2 Tindron.

Droid parts are swappable between droids and you will be able to buy better and different parts later for your droids.

Right now we just have basic quality parts. Except for the Human droid parts you can eventually buy better quality versions of droid parts, which range from "basic, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, and Super" (i.e Tindron V parts)

These screenshots are taken from: http://captive.atari.org/index.php Which is about the Atari ST version of the game, but are applicable on the Amiga version too

Human parts are weaker than the Tindron parts, but they can see clearly. The screenshot that was burly in the first update was because I make a droid with a Tindron head party leader.

The chip to the left of the droids head is the chip where I put the name in earlier, the old laptop icon is where you can plug in optics or devscapes. Which I'll go over further down.

I asked for names because names determine the droids starting stats. Which are:
Dexterity: Higher dex hits harder and better
Vitality: Higher vit dodge hits better
Wisdom: Higher wis gain more experience

Here's the stats for the names I went with they can range anywhere from 3-15 for each of the 3 stats. That 3 in wisdom is really going to hurt Robot Llewellyn in the early game, but I can succeed with it.

The other names would of gotten me these stats:

Kraft posted:

Dex = 8
Vit = 10
Wis = 9

Werk posted:

Dex = 5
Vit = 6
Wis = 13

Daft posted:

Dex = 13
Vit = 11
Wis = 10

Punk posted:

Dex = 15
Vit = 13
Wis = 3

Alpha Unit 1 posted:

Dex = 7
Vit = 7
Wis = 3

Beta Unit 2 posted:

Dex = 9
Vit = 11
Wis = 9

Gamma Unit 3 posted:

Dex = 13
Vit = 14
Wis = 5

Chuck posted:

Dex = 13
Vit = 13
Wis = 3
But what if I would of given a droid a wholesome name, like Jonathan?

Jonathan posted:

Dex = 15
Vit = 15
Wis = 15

The droids gain experience by killing monsters, they all get the same amount of xp, no matter what droid gets the kill. Xp actually gained is modifed by the wisdom stat though, so some droids are going to be learning faster than others.

Starting out, the droids have 2 skills, robotics and brawling. Robotics determine what quality and kind of parts you can use and brawling determines what kind of brawling weapons you can use and how much damage the droid does unarmed.

Increasing skills is accomplished by clicking on the skill you want to increase and having enough xp to do it. Each skill can max out at 255 and (except for robotics) reaching skill 9 will unlock the next skill. So reaching skill 9 in brawling will unlock swords!

This is a power outlet you can use it to recharge your droids

To recharge the droid, you have to take it's torso off and while holding it, click on the outlet. The second screenshot is when you take the torso off of the party leader.

Make sure there's no enemies around when you're recharging your droids! If a droid takes any damage with no torso piece, they'll instantly fall apart! You can put them back together, but that sucks to do mid battle.

There's one more use for the outlet. A weapon, if you click the power outlet with nothing in your hand, your hand will be charged and will be able to fire off a few shots!

You can only repair droid parts at shops, any shop will do, you have to have money though!

Let's go over control!

Each colored box represents one of the droids, the box with the crown is the party leader and what droid eyes you're looking out of. The white outline appears when you left-click on one of the droid boxes. If you click again on the outlined droid, the game will make that droid the party leader. If you click on another droid instead, the 2 droids will swap positions.

The top bar is the overall health of the droid, and will change color the more damaged a droid is. The bottom bar is the battery charge of the droid, every droid will drain batteries, but using devscapes, optics, and being party leader will drain the batteries faster.

The arrows are for basic movement. Forward, backwards, strafe left, strafe right, turn left, turn right. The 2 arrows in the lower corners are for moving up and down ladders and when you are at the lander, getting into the lander.

The disk icon is to save your game, which you needed to swap in a blank disk, then format it and save your game. You can only load a game by resetting the amiga and loading from the beginning screen!

The ZZZ icon is for sleeping, which doesn't heal the droids at all, but makes time move faster.

The Hand icon is for pausing the game, because the game doesn't pause when you're in your inventory.

The 2 pair colored boxes with hands is how you attack in the game, you can have a weapon in each hand, and there's a cooldown between attacks. What the game doesn't tell you where the droid attacks on screen. the front 2 droids will only attack the left or the right side, depending on which side the droid is on, so if a monster is on the left side of the screen, the droid on the right can't hit it, but if the monster moves to the center, then both droids can hit it. The back droids will always attack the center, but you won't figure that out until you get ranged weapons. For now, if you melee with the back row, they'll just punch the droids in front of them.

The little box with 8 buttons below the move & attack controls is called the remote control, the top row will turn on the monitors above the playing field and will display whatever devscape or optic is plugged into the color of the droid.

The bottom row is a little different, the left-most button turns on the CAMERA screen on the top right, but will only display if you have a camera. The button next to that, if turned on, will display the main view in a tiny window while you're in an inventory or experience screen. You can move the droids and even attack using the little screen, but it's almost incomprehenisible to me and it drains battery quick.

The middle right lower button will enable/disable shadow from text, helpful if using a crappy tv set.

The last button deactivates the crossing out of the ladder buttons when not located on a ladder. Clicking on them will do nothing though.

Weapons

I'll go over weapons as I get them. Each weapon also has quality that ranges from "basic, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, and Super"

Lvl 0 introduces knuckle dusters which are brawling weapons. Brawling 9 is the minimum to use the basic knuckle duster and brawling 16 for the super version.

The exception to this are the ZLOT weapons, which can be used no matter the skill level. Only problem is they can't be fixed, and once the weapon reaches 0% it disappears.

Weapons bought at the shop can be fixed for a fraction of the original price, which is nice.

Damage done is determined by the droids dexterity, relevant weapon skill, weapon & it's quality, and the monster's armor, skill, and the distance to the monster. So complicated!

Devscapes & Optics

Right now I bought 2 optics optic-basic "ag-scan" and optic-II "root-finder" I equipped 2 droids with them and then turned on their monitors.

Root-finder will lead you out of the base, which can be nice later when bases get bigger. Ag-scan will tell you how much damage you're doing to monsters, once in a while you'll see a number in parentheses and that means a critical hit.
I don't have any devscapes, but I'll do my damnest to talk about them.

Level 0 Map

Skulls are the generators
Carts are the shops
the secret doors open when I open the alcoves near them, ambushing me.
the arrows are pushable walls.

Party Stats

Here's how the droids are looking after level 0.

Sorry for not explaining this earlier, this is my first LP. Thanks for the criticism and feedback!

Everything should improve!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Post the enemy names too, that guy you killed for a password is named "brains" for example and he's unique in being neutral to you until attacked (which is required).

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok, I'll do it tomorrow. I'll add it to the second post

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How fixed are your stats? There's quite a bit of variation between the names, are you hosed long-term if you choose a bad name, or is it curable with XP/levels/money?

Is each droid hard-locked into the android/tindron type, or can you mix and match the parts between them, like tinbot limbs for better combat with human head for superior vision?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 22, 2021

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
Those electric bolts are actually one of your best weapons even after you get your first ranged weapons. If I remember rightly there's no cooldown between shots and it does decent damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pierzak posted:

How fixed are your stats? There's quite a bit of variation between the names, are you hosed long-term if you choose a bad name, or is it curable with XP/levels/money?

Is each droid hard-locked into the android/tindron type, or can you mix and match the parts between them, like tinbot limbs for better combat with human head for superior vision?

Every time you increase a skill, you get a random skill point in one of the three stats. If my rolls are good, Robot Llewellyn might catch up.

Compare between before and after level 0, Llewellyn didn't get much wisdom, but that's ok

As for the parts, you can mix and match as long as you have the relevant robotics skill. one of the shots above has switched out parts. as soon as I find a store, I'm buying better tindron parts (except for the head) for all my droids.

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 22, 2021