Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
an update from the youtube channel made for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_QR9H1aa4

edit: Slavvy, any local knowledge on this insanity? is he known in aus/nz?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never heard of him but I'm also not Australian

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FBS posted:

The frame on the RSV1000R is a thing of pointless beauty and it's the one motorcycle I truly lust for. I've never even seen one in person yet it made me an Aprilia fan for life.

Oh sweet, I had one :dance: So much drat fun, really smooth ride and tons of power on tap, plenty of balance.

Honestly though, this style of design was a bit on the gaudy and ostentatious side for me. For cool frame design I was always more a fan of the Falco

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To me the Falco always looked like a de-lamed firestorm, it was like a reversal of what Honda usually do - make a big list of the salient features of a competing bike and build something that ticks those boxes, but Italian.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Supradog posted:

an update from the youtube channel made for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_QR9H1aa4

edit: Slavvy, any local knowledge on this insanity? is he known in aus/nz?

Drysdale has been around for yonks, I remember reading about one of his v8s in amcn or a similar magazine back in the early 2000s. I've never met anyone who's ever met anyone who's ever seen one in the flesh though because custom made low volume motorcycles are rare and expensive and not many people had the cash to burn on one. He was most well known for either the 2 wheel drive dirtbike or the v8 but there were other things as well but I don't think anything was ever a commercial success.

No idea if Drysdale ran the whole shop on hope and dreams or if motorbikes were just a fun side gig. His old website here goes into a fair bit of detail about how the 2wd bike worked and what they're like to ride.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Digging the temp and fuel gauge

From a 1986 Yamaha FZ750.

Choice Quotes from wikipedia about it 80s race tech.

quote:

The FZ750 uses an all-aluminium, liquid-cooled, transverse-mounted, four-cylinder engine. The complex cylinder head is constructed in two halves, with dual chain-driven overhead camshafts operating 20 valves, 3 inlet and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder.

quote:

The engine width is minimised by placing the starter clutch, alternator, water and oil pump behind the engine and are driven via a secondary shaft.

quote:

An electrical reserve fuel system simulates a conventional fuel reserve by cutting power to the fuel pump when fuel in the tank reaches a certain level, reserve fuel could then be engaged from a switch. In this way the fuel pump never runs dry.

quote:

A variable-resistance gauging system is used to monitor engine oil contents with an associated warning light.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha wild.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The second and last one survive on the R1 to this day

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the oil sensor actually monitoring, contamination?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Phy posted:

What's the oil sensor actually monitoring, contamination?

I think by "oil contents" they mean "oil volume" - the wikipedia article mentions "oil level sensing" two paragraphs prior to the "contents" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it's just an oil level sensor