Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hi! Ive been working up to asking some questions in the DIY megathread, but i figure I can just start a thread. Ill have enough questions and pictures to keep it going for sure..

So, quick recap: just about a year ago today, i bought a house! It's 90 years old and okayyyyyyy but will need WORK to be sure. But overall it seemed okay enough, and the inspector said it 'had good bones'. It's a weird two story, separate level thing. Two bed 1 bath upstairs, 1 bed 1 bath downstairs. The PO used to live upstairs and rent downstairs. This works for me, as I want to have my Mom live upstairs, and I can live downstairs. Shes getting on, and i wanted her to have a place of her own, but still be close.

So, I buy it. Then.. PANDEMIC. I mean, i was afraid it might be an issue for me, but gently caress i spent almost a year looking for a place and i wasn't about to let it go. How bad could it be?

I should mention i work in the entertainment industry.

So, a few plans have changed since then. I bought the house well under its appraised value, so i was going to wait a few months and look into my loan options to do some needed repairs. First off, the stucco on a few walls needs replaced. But then the world goes to hell, nobody is goin to conventions or anything so my office furloughs 3/4s of the entire crew. Im lucky enough to still have a job, but Im not spending money i dont have till poo poo chills the hell out and work returns.

Enter: DIY mania! I guess im kinda handy. I was a technical theater nerd and i know how to use a saw. I can read directions. So, i buy cool tools and i do a bunch of stuff thats not stucco and more on my level. Ill try and go back through all the pictures i took and run through what i did later.. theres also pictures of cats. And a possum i found walking through my bedroom one night. And crazy PO DIY, crazy current owner DIY, rotted wood, spiders, really broken plumbing, unwanted fruit and so much more!

Fast forward to today.

Its stucco time. This poo poo is bad and needs fixed, so im getting quotes. I got a few guys off angies list, all with good reviews. So far i have two quotes. One is for 12000. 8 for the work, 4 for demolition and removal. Im like.. ok then. I think thats maybe high, but im not shocked.

Next guy came today, and he quoted 3700. For all of it. I like that better! But why the huge difference? The first guy had a nicer truck, but both seemed fine. The 2nd guy was better able to answer my questions, too.

So, for my first question in this thread: WTF? Is the first guy just saying he doesn't want to do it? Is the 2nd guy for real? Is angies list a good idea? Where else should I look for a contractor if not?
I do think the first guy was going to replace one of two walls, and the 2nd guy was going to fix one and replace one. But still, thats a big difference.

Im still going to get more quotes, though. Im not planning action for a few more months..

Picture time. Lemme show you what i got..

This is wall 1 of two. Its maybe a little hard to tell from the picture, but its partially detached from the side of the house. You can push on it and it flexes.. it needs to be replaced. Both window frames are badly rotted. You can see where i used spray foam to fill the gaps around the window where it was coming off.. and yeah, the lower siding is poo poo. Thats the next project.. anyone have opinions on brazilian hardwood siding?

Wall two of 2. This can maybe be fixed without replacing. Lots of cracks, the door frame needs work, right corner is all messed up, theres a big poorly patched hole thats failing.

So, thats what im trying to have fixed. Wish me luck!

Oh, and this is my new neighbor:

Shes very friendly. Im not fixing that fence :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

quote:

Oh, and this is my new neighbor:

Shes very friendly. Im not fixing that fence :)

I have no advice to give you, but thanks for the early morning laugh with this picture.