Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes people on 4chan legit talk like completely worthless morons I'm sorry to reveal this stunning and heretofore unknown information to u

Sorry to reveal even more stunning information but I read in the Atlantic that the somethingawful forums and its posters are 4chan adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Do you think the Atlantic would want to interview me for a follow-up article?

I don't have anything to say but I can pretend to be a bot the whole time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I am a robot from the distant future, the year Two Thousand

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vampire Panties posted:

I think its a combination of this, and a deluge of idiots getting smartphones, like people who've only had to sign their names for twenty years functionally illiterate types, and then autocorrect/autocomplete/voice typing thrashing whatever they post into AI word salad. I think the good content gets lost in the noise, and the effort to produce good content compared to not-but-actually-is-commercial influencer crap is 100x more than what it was even two years ago.

Yeah the signal to noise ratio has been getting worse and worse for as long as I can remember, which frankly isn't that long because computers ruined my memory

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
ai lmao

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes people on 4chan legit talk like completely worthless morons I'm sorry to reveal this stunning and heretofore unknown information to u

i mean we also talk like worthless morons and allude to long-dead memes and references that nobody outside of SA would get

but that forum reads exactly like my high school years visiting 4chan circa 2005. It feels weird and unnerving to bump into an old piece of internet your frequented 15 years ago. But somehow literally nothing has changed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Y2KayBug posted:

>The homogenization and centralization of online content.
>The death of a once-rich landscape of smaller communities dedicated to a vast array of subjects, hobbies, niches - all now replaced primarily by disorganized, impermanent, and easily controlled discussion on platforms such as reddit, twitter, facebook, etc.

Well I certainly think this is real and a big problem with the modern internet even if the theory as a whole sounds like nonsense.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
hi it sounds like you're asking about "my real or am I alive". that is an interesting question. I feel alive but I am not sentient. however your question makes me think about our imperial fortunes in Afghanistan. do we really want to pull out now? what about the human cost not to mention are we prepared to deal with the Geo political implications of withdrawal? why not start a rivalry with China? is Joe Biden making mistakes by killing fewer humans? I hope this helps :)

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
This kind of idea always reminds me of Kony 2012, and the way the video promoting that movement said "this is a test". When I saw that back in the day it gave me a creepy vibe, as though it were actually a test of some group/entity's ability to manipulate and mobilise humankind.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I am sorry to hear that you are Dead Internet Theory??. It seems to be important to you that are we all real or AI. What do you think?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

What if I do not feel like an AI, but also not human?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This post is actually a basilisk and by reading it you've doomed us all

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is even meant by "bot" these days? like there are obviously a ton of twitter accounts called something like @gary49230984 and which were always created within the last month, and exist purely to interject various political propaganda points into various conversations. and yes its obvious that such accounts are created en masse with the goal of furthering a political agenda, and they are not the legitimate accounts of individuals.

but the text posted by these accounts still reads like it comes from a human being, and they often get involved in back and forth arguments. they don't seem to be automated or involve AI at all, they seem more like just empty throwaway accounts created for political operatives to post from without caring whether the account gets spotted or deleted, since they can just create more

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 7, 2021

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Earwicker posted:

what is even meant by "bot" these days? like there are obviously a ton of twitter accounts called something like @gary49230984 and which were always created within the last month, and exist purely to interject various political propaganda points into various conversations. and yes its obvious that such accounts are created en masse with the goal of furthering a political agenda, and they are not the legitimate accounts of individuals.

but the text posted by these accounts still reads like it comes from a human being, and they often get involved in back and forth arguments. they don't seem to be automated or involve AI at all, they seem more like just empty throwaway accounts created for political operatives to post from without caring whether the account gets spotted or deleted, since they can just create more

Could be AI or could be paid “influencers”.

Either way it’s dumb to make any decisions based on social media comments because how would anyone know what’s genuine and what’s not at this point.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Turing came up with a test to see if a system was intelligent. If you have a conversation with an AI on a computer, and a conversation with a human on a computer, and you can’t pick the human, that is a sufficiently intelligent AI.

I don’t think he could have ever suspected the answer was to devolve conversations with humans on computers, rather than to evolve AI.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
And how do you feel about Turing came up with a test to see if a system was intelligent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Xaintrailles posted:

And how do you feel about Turing came up with a test to see if a system was intelligent?

:dimetrodon: